Waived: Waiver Hunting Thread 2021

Bruisebros2426

Sep 23, 2021
Frederik Gauthier on waivers. You could do worse than him as a 4C.
But it's not really how Stevie plays it.
Not sure why they wouldn't take a flyer on him. It's a similar gig to Connauton and the several other seemingly random guys he'll pick up: There's a need and this guy costs nothing. Let's see if he surprises.

EDIT: Seeing that Patrick Brown was also waived by Vegas. Felt like he played relatively well at the end of last season. Another guy probably worth tossing on the 4th line for a trial. Namestnikov isn't effective that far down the lineup and it doesn't make sense for Raymond or Veleno to be playing 4th line minutes if they're on the team this year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Frederik Gauthier on waivers. You could do worse than him as a 4C.
But it's not really how Stevie plays it.
Pilon is a decent prospect too, but like you said, it's not how Stevie plays it. He seems to prefer players he's already familiar with, much like Kenny. I'm sure he's got a claim in for ABB, but I don't see Anaheim passing up on him.

This is why I didn't understand the Rowney signings, there's easily half a dozen players on waivers already that are better or have more potential. I'd also rather take a shot on a kid like Pilon or ABB than sign Ryan. (And I like Ryan)

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Players that ass through waivers take a spot on the Griffins roster. Not really sure it's worth the risk unless it is absolutely a player Yzerman is a 100% familiar with.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Players that ass through waivers take a spot on the Griffins roster. Not really sure it's worth the risk unless it is absolutely a player Yzerman is a 100% familiar with.
I don't think that's much of a concern, they can trade the prospect back to their original team for future considerations after he clears or send someone like Shine to the ECHL. Anyone that gets claimed should at least be an upgrade over Shine.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I could definitely see us placing a claim on a canter.

Barre-Boulet, Adam Brooks, Pilon or even Stenlund might be worth a look.

Especially if Rasmussen is going to start on injured reserve.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
we were 5th worst but ide guess seattle gets an earlier pick making us pick 6th . one thing ive read today is lamb didnt waive enough guys to get nyi compliant so he must have some trades lined up

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I really don't mean offence, but some of you guys act like a lot of waiver claims get made. Hundreds of players get put on waivers at this time of year and maybe 5-10 get claimed. Barre-Boulet for example is mentioned as someone who will guarantee get picked and he didn't. Sometimes you have to go by what actually happens, and the reality is, that every team has 10 or so guys that need to go on waivers and the teams generally have the rosters they already like, which means the players on waivers have to really be an upgrade over who they are replacing which is basically not the case in almost all cases. Every team has replaceable level players in the 10-15 spots on their positional depth charts.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I really don't mean offence, but some of you guys act like a lot of waiver claims get made. Hundreds of players get put on waivers at this time of year and maybe 5-10 get claimed. Barre-Boulet for example is mentioned as someone who will guarantee get picked and he didn't. Sometimes you have to go by what actually happens, and the reality is, that every team has 10 or so guys that need to go on waivers and the teams generally have the rosters they already like, which means the players on waivers have to really be an upgrade over who they are replacing which is basically not the case in almost all cases. Every team has replaceable level players in the 10-15 spots on their positional depth charts.
To me, ABB was a roster upgrade over guys like Downey, probably Stephens as well.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
copied this from a fan at reddit -

zze0001 -

Just some times for people to know.
Roster finalizing 5pm eastern. (Might expect the announcement 10 or so minutes after)
Waiver claims from yesterday waivers: 12 noon eastern (probably will start to trickle out 5 min or so after if there are any claims.)
Waivers list from today: most likely a little after 2 eastern.
Redwings practice: starts at 11am could give hints to who’s on the team if reporters are allowed in for practice today.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pilon is a decent prospect too, but like you said, it's not how Stevie plays it. He seems to prefer players he's already familiar with, much like Kenny. I'm sure he's got a claim in for ABB, but I don't see Anaheim passing up on him.

This is why I didn't understand the Rowney signings, there's easily half a dozen players on waivers already that are better or have more potential. I'd also rather take a shot on a kid like Pilon or ABB than sign Ryan. (And I like Ryan)
Not that the Rowney signing was great or anything, but at least he has an NHL track record, experience, some grit and defensive play, and size.
Acting like some 5'10'' career AHLer who isn't gonna play physical or kill penalties fills the same role is just wrong.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Ya but we are super thin on centers. Did yzerman draft him as well?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Ya but we are super thin on centers. Did yzerman draft him as well?
We are thin on good centers. ABB has no track record of playing center in the NHL and from what Tampa fans are saying he's not exactly great defensively, likely someone that only makes it in the NHL as a winger (if he makes it).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not that the Rowney signing was great or anything, but at least he has an NHL track record, experience, some grit and defensive play, and size.
Acting like some 5'10'' career AHLer who isn't gonna play physical or kill penalties fills the same role is just wrong.
Rowney probably won't even make the roster. If the team does pick up a waiver claim, I'd bet the odd man out is Ryan. He doesn't have a contract, and ABB has more potential than a declining Ryan.

The big knock on ABB isn't his size, he's slow. Moves well but low top speed.

To answer the other question, ABB was an undrafted signing after Stevie left.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad