W/C Zachary Benson - (2023, 13th, BUF)

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
He shouldn't be in the NHL like I've been saying all year. Can he play in the NHL? Sure but so can a decent amount of the top half a 1st round picks their d+1. It's more about what's best for him in the long run. Don't do what Columbus did with Sillinger
Exactly this. If you watched the World Juniors this year, there are multiple players who COULD play in the NHL and survive; however, it doesn't mean that they SHOULD be there or that it is best for their development. I think this trend (keeping Canadian players who aren't quite ready) will continue unless the CHL transfer agreement changes unfortunately.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Buffalo rushed him to the NHL. He’s not ready.

He can keep up, but he’s not thriving. He’s better than the 12th or 13th forward on every team (and the 14th because teams are always missing players anyway).

He should be in the AHL. I see why Buffalo didn’t want a replay of Savoie destroying the WHL last year, and wanted to avoid that with Benson, if possible. The CHL agreement once again hurts a player’s progression. Tough choice, but I think Buffalo made the wrong one. They have so many good players that are NHL ready. Should’ve overcooked Benson.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I disagree that the Sabres rushed him. If you're looking at his stats, including age and size, sure, probably looks risky.

If you watch him play on a nightly basis, you know he's an effective player in all areas of the ice and is very steady emotionally. For example, they're using him on the pk now because although you'd normally not want to put that on a rookie, it's clear at this point he can handle it and he likely will improve the pk!

He goes to all the dirty areas and regularly comes out with the puck against guys who have 75 pounds on him.

There is zero reason to send him back to junior hockey, IMO. He's just going to get better developing at the nhl level.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
I disagree that the Sabres rushed him. If you're looking at his stats, including age and size, sure, probably looks risky.

If you watch him play on a nightly basis, you know he's an effective player in all areas of the ice and is very steady emotionally. For example, they're using him on the pk now because although you'd normally not want to put that on a rookie, it's clear at this point he can handle it and he likely will improve the pk!

He goes to all the dirty areas and regularly comes out with the puck against guys who have 75 pounds on him.

There is zero reason to send him back to junior hockey, IMO. He's just going to get better developing at the nhl level.
What would be an optimistic projection for him production wise, or comparable?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
against guys who have 75 pounds on him.

There is zero reason to send him back to junior hockey

I'm not saying send him down but you should recognize how these two statements don't fit together neatly. He's got a higher injury risk playing in the NHL. Kid might have a short career.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What would be an optimistic projection for him production wise, or comparable?
Long-term, he's like Dougie Gilmour light. Gilmour was a Selke, 100+ point scrappy playmaker. Benson will end up a 75-80 point player in his prime. Benson's biggest issue will be staying healthy because he doesn't shy away.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Optimistic? Probably something like Marchand sans the cheap bullshit. Kid's a bit small, but that's far and away the worst thing you can say about him. There's no real weak point in his game.

It's optimistic even for the size aspect of it. Marchand is a little tank. Benson is just plain small. Let's hope he gets even close to as strong as Marchand.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
It's optimistic even for the size aspect of it. Marchand is a little tank. Benson is just plain small. Let's hope he gets even close to as strong as Marchand.
Huh?

Marchand: 5'9" 176 lb, 35
Benson: 5'10" 170 lb, 18

I'm certainly not predicting he'll have Marchand's career, but it won't be his size that prevents Benson from doing so.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Huh?

Marchand: 5'9" 176 lb, 35
Benson: 5'10" 170 lb, 18

I'm certainly not predicting he'll have Marchand's career, but it won't be his size that prevents Benson from doing so.

Right so it's more a matter of strength, I don't think they're close at all. The way they hold themselves on the ice is very different. That and I am mighty skeptical that Benson is actually 5'10.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You're comparing the strength of similarly sized players, one 18 and the other 35? Give it up.

I wasn't the one who brought up Marchand. I expect most of the strength difference to remain, there are 18 year olds that size that are much stronger, I seem to remember Marchand being one of them. I don't think they're similar players largely because of the strength difference.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo rushed him to the NHL. He’s not ready.

He can keep up, but he’s not thriving. He’s better than the 12th or 13th forward on every team (and the 14th because teams are always missing players anyway).

He should be in the AHL. I see why Buffalo didn’t want a replay of Savoie destroying the WHL last year, and wanted to avoid that with Benson, if possible. The CHL agreement once again hurts a player’s progression. Tough choice, but I think Buffalo made the wrong one. They have so many good players that are NHL ready. Should’ve overcooked Benson.

He's very much ready and deserved to be in the lineup. I would assert he's actually deserved more of a role on the PP1 which he doesn't see since he's usually blocked by them playing Skinner as the bumper when he's in the lineup. The difference in ability to make plays out of that position is significant and the guy is far from being a finished physical product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad