Waived: Vrana (recalled 02.14.23)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In regards to waiving someone else due to eligibility, I tried explaining that if we do that, then we wouldn't be able to ice a full roster with forwards playing forward and defense playing defense.
Not true because Fabbri would be the one coming back, so it would still be 12 forwards if Berggy, Joey, or Elmer got sent down. Fabbri or Raz would have to play center for Joey to go down, so that is the least likely scenario.

I would waive lindstrom over the other 2 at this point, or even Hagg. God I just don't like Hagg.
Hagg is IR and not on the roster. None of us like Hagg, lol.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Two things bouncing around in my head.

One was the offseason interview he gave with Sportsnet talking about his living situation. He lives alone downtown. The only one on the team to do so. He said he liked it because he could roll out of bed and be at practice within 5 minutes.

Two, I wonder if he may have even asked to be waived to run out this year in the AHL away from the stresses of the NHL. He's still making his $5m wherever he is and if he's in an apartment in downtown Detroit because it's close to the rink I doubt the AHL lifestyle would be soul crushing for him.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Speculation (because that's all we can do right now). What if Vrana doesn't want a conditioning stint and demanded "his" roster spot back?

It'll all come out in the wash eventually
That is very possible, but since Vrana had to agree to go down for the conditioning stint, I am not sure if that is a possible situation. Unless he agreed to the original 1 week or however long it was and when they said he needs to stay for the full 2 weeks then he may have a gripe with that, since he didn't agree to it. If that is the case, then he might have a leg to stand on, unless there are some lawyer/contract stuff that changes things.

Not true because Fabbri would be the one coming back, so it would still be 12 forwards if Berggy, Joey, or Elmer got sent down. Fabbri or Raz would have to play center for Joey to go down, so that is the least likely scenario.

Hagg is IR and not on the roster. None of us like Hagg, lol.
Your right, technically he would be taking their spot in the group. That one skipped me a bit.

At that same time, you have to wonder did soderblom officially make the roster then because a healthy vrana is better than soderblom, at least offensively. They might be a wash defensively.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Notice how he deleted all his posts on Instagram about Detroit and the posts since he got here. Now his most recent photo is from September.

He is leaving the organization for sure, you don't just do that if there isn't some bad blood. Retiring? Don't think you would do that. Ijzerman telling him that he has no place in Detroit? Maybe...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Whoa this is really weird. I am starting to imagine that the truth to this situation is stranger than fiction.

It's high stakes though if we lose Vrana for nothing that is a pretty big dent in the depth chart.

Reactions: 14ari13

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Notice how he deleted all his posts on Instagram about Detroit and the posts since he got here. Now his most recent photo is from September.

He is leaving the organization for sure, you don't just do that if there isn't some bad blood.
I hate it when players start deleting pictures and stuff.

But if this is true then I believe he agreed to a week or whatever the original deal was to go to AHL and when they decided to keep him down for longer than the original agreement, then he got irritated and voiced the frustration to the front office.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That is very possible, but since Vrana had to agree to go down for the conditioning stint, I am not sure if that is a possible situation. Unless he agreed to the original 1 week or however long it was and when they said he needs to stay for the full 2 weeks then he may have a gripe with that, since he didn't agree to it. If that is the case, then he might have a leg to stand on, unless there are some lawyer/contract stuff that changes things.

Your right, technically he would be taking their spot in the group. That one skipped me a bit.

At that same time, you have to wonder did soderblom officially make the roster then because a healthy vrana is better than soderblom, at least offensively. They might be a wash defensively.

Yeah that's what I mean. Maybe he agreed to the 3 games, then brass decided he wasn't ready and he thinks he is. Who knows, I mean as others pointed out he gets paid his millions either way.

If he does have entitlement issues, then no way he is a good fit for this club. I'm not saying that's what it is. It could be as harmless as needing a change of scenery and perhaps has little trade value right now.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah that's what I mean. Maybe he agreed to the 3 games, then brass decided he wasn't ready and he thinks he is. Who knows, I mean as others pointed out he gets paid his millions either way.

If he does have entitlement issues, then no way he is a good fit for this club. I'm not saying that's what it is. It could be as harmless as needing a change of scenery and perhaps has little trade value right now.
This with him supposedly deleting pictures of detroit on his social media would likely confirm this when the dust settles. But this is only if they are doing this because of what you pointed out or what I eluded to earlier about how bringing Fabbri back would need them to add a roster spot and didn't want to send down soder/berg/veleno

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I hate it when players start deleting pictures and stuff.

But if this is true then I believe he agreed to a week or whatever the original deal was to go to AHL and when they decided to keep him down for longer than the original agreement, then he got irritated and voiced the frustration to the front office.
Would a player really get that mad over 1 week? Also Lalonde said in an interview it was up to Vrana and he wanted to stay down for the extra time I think the other day. I just don’t but the problem with length of conditioning stint theory

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Would a player really get that mad over 1 week? Also Lalonde said in an interview it was up to Vrana and he wanted to stay down for the extra time I think the other day. I just don’t but the problem with length of conditioning stint theory
I did just look at this instagram and he did delete all photos of detroit and it just shows capitals.

I agree, it is absurd to act like this because you don't want to spend an additional week in GR, but who knows I guess.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

He is leaving the organization for sure, you don't just do that if there isn't some bad blood. Retiring? Don't think you would do that. Ijzerman telling him that he has no place in Detroit? Maybe...
did he delete them or just not post them in the first place? apparently he doesn't post much at all? He still has a Wings banner on his Twitter.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Well, that's not a good sign.
There's obviously more to the story than the conditioning stint.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
You telling me I lost my favorite Red Wings for nothing twice. First when they took Manta and now this, hope he gets claimed, so we could save some money at least

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He's not giving up $8M to go to Europe. If anything he'll stick around long enough to get a buyout.

He may very well have asked Stevie for a trade because he wanted a change of scenery. Stevie has never been one to screw over a player, he traded that one waiver pickup for future consideration and also let Svech go. We should not assume the team is trying to screw Vrana over.
If it's a family matter, money doesn't matter. He's earned quite a bit of money already and can get a good contract in Europe as well.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Obviously we don't know why he was in PAP and I'm HEAVILY speculating here. If he was in PAP for substance abuse, what if he relapsed but doesn't want to go back into the program and that was the reason for this surprising turn of events?

Super hypothetical here but it could be a possibility.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Shocking.. But these players are all humans first and foremost. Who knows what personal / family issues he could be dealing with. I think the organization deserves the benefit of the doubt there was extensive talks and they did this for Vrana and not because its beneficial for the team. Hope he stays healthy and continues down the right track.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

Lalonde’s presser from yesterday (15 second mark). He talks about Varna’s conditioning extention.

Seems Vrana wanted to stay in GR for more games.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
The Instragram thing, if true, is notable, but there are still so many possibilities. If his mental health is suffering, it could just be a coping mechanism. Maybe the negative things going on in his life are too closely tied to Detroit and he had to flush it. He had surgery here, he no doubt was prescribed painkillers. Who knows. Jumping to conclusions is premature.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Bergy and Elmer both need work defensively, so it really wouldn't have been the end of the world if they got sent down. Healthy Vrana is better than both of them, he has the ability to create offense on his own, and he's better than Elmer defensively because he can carry the puck out of the zone whereas Elmer will hot potato the puck.

If it's a family matter, money doesn't matter. He's earned quite a bit of money already and can get a good contract in Europe as well.
Very few people are gonna walk out on $8M, regardless of how much money he has. His career earnings is $16M, $8M is another 50%.

European leagues don't pay much, it's less than NHL league min which is why Hellberg is here.

Reactions: 14ari13

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Vrana who is never in the lineup. Panic who is gone. The pick that got traded for the pick that became Sebustian Cossa…

Maybe this should be considered for the Yzerfail thread? It’s one of a very few that might legitimately make the list.
Absolutely not.

It was a really good trade when it was made. Vrana getting waylaid by something unrelated does not make it a fail.

Panik was never anything but a throw-in for salary and holy jumpin Jesus, lay the f***ing hell off of Cossa.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Was he in PAP for substance abuse problems and is still struggling with them so the organization decided to cut ties?

Was he in it for a mental health or personality issue and there's been too much said between him and management to repair the relationship?

Is Yzerman just totally unforgiving to players that don't find a way to stay in the lineup even if their reasons are totally fair?

Why couldn't we get anything for him in a trade? Will he get claimed? Is the whole league privy to some major details that make Vrana unappealing? Has this issue been around his whole career and that's why we could get him from Washington at a discount or did it just crop up in Detroit?

I think that it's really impossible to tell anything at this point about what's actually going on. What we can know is that Vrana probably won't wear a Wings jersey again. That's a shame because I liked him and I think he had a good future with us before all of this. Oh well.

• Wow
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
If he was placed on unconditional waivers for contract termination, they would've announced that today. This seems just like normal waivers, so either the team doesn't care if he gets claimed or knows that he won't.

Also, pretty sure he removed all the pictures from social media when he went into the assistance program and not today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad