Waived: Vrana (recalled 02.14.23)

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Quite possibly the case but I hope not. How did he play down in GR? It's also possible they didn't like what they saw and at this point just don't want to slot him into the Redwings lineup. Sitting him isn't gonna help either so it could just be a matter of wanting to ease him back in with less pressure in GR. With his contract, nobody is gonna claim him anyway and they were unable to extend his conditioning stint. The only way for him to keep playing AHL is to get waived.

But yeah. I fear he could be on his way back to Europe.
His conditioning stint could be extended to 2 weeks, Lolande even said they talked with him and both sides thought 2 weeks made most sense as opposed to 3 games. This is beyond bizarre

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean they had a plan for him yesterday, announcing the extension of his conditioning stint. This is evolving pretty fast now, I hope the best for Vrana. It is hard to say what is going on and with Yzerman we aren't likely to find out anytime soon.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's also possible they didn't like what they saw and at this point just don't want to slot him into the Redwings lineup.
Kind of doubt that's what this is about. They already had him on an extended conditioning stint so it's not like he wasn't being given time to get up to speed.
Either Yzerman feels safe about Vrana not getting claimed, or they actually want Vrana to be claimed.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
His conditioning stint could be extended to 2 weeks, Lolande even said they talked with him and both sides thought 2 weeks made most sense as opposed to 3 games. This is beyond bizarre
I know it can be extended but Vrana could have changed his mind or it was a misunderstanding. Or he's indeed on his way to Europe. I don't see any other reasons for this.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Kind of doubt that's what this is about. They already had him on an extended conditioning stint so it's not like he wasn't being given time to get up to speed.
Either Yzerman feels safe about Vrana not getting claimed, or they actually want Vrana to be claimed.
Probably the first. You never know but like I said...I doubt a GM would claim Vrana at this point. Too much risk involved and you gotta have room/capspace as well. Highly unlikely.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know it can be extended but Vrana could have changed his mind or it was a misunderstanding. Or he's indeed on his way to Europe. I don't see any other reasons for this.
He's not giving up $8M to go to Europe. If anything he'll stick around long enough to get a buyout.

He may very well have asked Stevie for a trade because he wanted a change of scenery. Stevie has never been one to screw over a player, he traded that one waiver pickup for future consideration and also let Svech go. We should not assume the team is trying to screw Vrana over.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Maybe not the best look to the fans, but I'm sure internally there are reasons we're not privy to that make this decision a sensible one.
Very true. Patience is probably best. I just hope it was his own decision given the circumstances.

He could want to go home.
Or may not want to return to Detroit

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think that if you are on a conditioning stint to AHL, you are still taking a roster spot on the NHL team because you still are hitting against the cap. So, if he is needing to go to AHL for the full 2 weeks and we cannot circumvent Fabbri's cap because he is ready to go with no conditioning needed, then Vrana is still taking 1 roster spot more than we have.

If this is the case, then putting him on waivers is to clear that spot and make it available for Fabbri.

I am assuming they do not want to send Berggren/Soder/Veleno down because then we wouldn't have a full lineup and wouldnt be able to call anyone up.

If we didn't hold 3 goalies, then he probably would have been put on waivers because we would have that extra roster spot.

I feel like I explained this perfectly, but it also seems so convoluted that it makes no sense. So, hopefully it makes sense

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think that if you are on a conditioning stint to AHL, you are still taking a roster spot on the NHL team because you still are hitting against the cap. So, if he is needing to go to AHL for the full 2 weeks and we cannot circumvent Fabbri's cap because he is ready to go with no conditioning needed, then Vrana is still taking 1 roster spot more than we have.

If this is the case, then putting him on waivers is to clear that spot and make it available for Fabbri.

I am assuming they do not want to send Berggren/Soder/Veleno down because then we wouldn't have a full lineup and wouldnt be able to call anyone up.

If we didn't hold 3 goalies, then he probably would have been put on waivers because we would have that extra roster spot.

I feel like I explained this perfectly, but it also seems so convoluted that it makes no sense. So, hopefully it makes sense
but at the risk of losing Vrana? wouldn't it be easier to waive Ned or send someone with waiver eligibility down first?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wow, not the best look for the Organization.

Guy goes away to get help and the first chance you get… he hits open waivers.

At worst you are trying to dump him/his contract.

At best you are saying nobody would ever want him right now, so let’s take advantage of that so we can hold onto a 14th forward for another 10 days?

Business is business I guess. But I don’t appreciate this look/move.

Unless he needs to go home to get family support during these difficult times. Not sure he could have LTIR him?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
but at the risk of losing Vrana? wouldn't it be easier to waive Ned or send someone with waiver eligibility down first?
I'm sure Stevie did his homework first, he's had a week to look for trades. If nobody expresses interest then you take the chance.

For all we know, Vrana could've asked for a trade and Stevie couldn't find a partner....

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

I’d be curious to know. I think it’s dumb that a guy on conditioning should be taking up a roster spot but even so I think it makes less than 0 sense to lose Vrana over waiving hellberg, Ned, or even Lindstrom for the time being

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
In regards to waiving someone else due to eligibility, I tried explaining that if we do that, then we wouldn't be able to ice a full roster with forwards playing forward and defense playing defense.

In regards to Ned, if you waive him without being absolutely sure you want Hellberg over Ned, it could be a massive mistake and I don't think Yzerman is willing to lose Ned at this time over Vrana. Yzerman believes in building the team from the Goalie out, so, technically, Vrana would be last on the list since he is a forward. This is me just thinking out loud.

I've said in a different thread that I don't believe Yzerman is 100% on Hellberg and that is why Ned is still there. If that is the case, he could also be showcasing Hellberg for a trade because we got him for free. IDK, just thinking out loud, but what I said about the waiver part is, I believe, 100% true.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I mean they had a plan for him yesterday, announcing the extension of his conditioning stint. This is evolving pretty fast now, I hope the best for Vrana. It is hard to say what is going on and with Yzerman we aren't likely to find out anytime soon.

Speculation (because that's all we can do right now). What if Vrana doesn't want a conditioning stint and demanded "his" roster spot back?

It'll all come out in the wash eventually

Reactions: Ulysses31

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I’d be curious to know. I think it’s dumb that a guy on conditioning should be taking up a roster spot but even so I think it makes less than 0 sense to lose Vrana over waiving hellberg, Ned, or even Lindstrom for the time being
I would waive lindstrom over the other 2 at this point, or even Hagg. God I just don't like Hagg.

I think it is because you have to pay the player the NHL salary because he never agreed to an AHL salary (if they are one-way contracts). For conditioning stints, the player has to agree to go down, as well, not just the team forcing the player.

Vrana is also a -5 in three games with no points in GR, so who knows if that has something to do with him needing to stay down for the full 2 weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad