Confirmed with Link: Vrana @50%

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I’m just astonished we finally won a trade with Detroit. Yzerman got fleeced - never thought I’d say that.

Reactions: Mike Liut

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I appreciate that Vrana has to put his best foot forward but it's honestly pretty annoying that he decides to score at a 55-goal pace during the key tank stretch (with Kapanen now a 40-goal scorer too apparently) because I don't even slightly believe he's going to score anything close to 55 goals next year when we will be trying to win

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
This may sound harsh, but I'm not interested in extending Vrana next year unless he looks like an absolute game breaker. With all of the off-ice issues he's had, I worry about him being the model player now that he's on his 3rd team only to lose focus once he signs a long term contract. I still think he's trade bait for next year's TDL.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This may sound harsh, but I'm not interested in extending Vrana next year unless he looks like an absolute game breaker. With all of the off-ice issues he's had, I worry about him being the model player now that he's on his 3rd team only to lose focus once he signs a long term contract. I still think he's trade bait for next year's TDL.
I don't disagree about jumping into a long-term deal, but to the degree that extending him allows us to do so at a discount to his real value and keep the term down I would be on board. That obviously assumes that he has proven to that point to continue to be an asset on the ice and not a liability off the ice. I wouldn't even consider extending him until January, and only after a healthy and productive first half of next season.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I'm excited about Vrana. 55 goals is silly, but 40 is certainly reasonable. 35 goals becomes almost probable.

Perhaps he is outperforming his norm, but I don't think so. I take this at face value and support Vrana 100%.

Love and protection envelops Vrana. He will be fine.

As far as re-signing him, we wouldn't visit that idea until January anyway, so......

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
I like the kid. And I'm all about second chances. He looks absolutely ecstatic when scoring and too happy being given any opportunity. I hope he takes that opportunity and runs with it. I guess I'm in the camp of resigning him and I definitely see this kid scoring 40 goals next year.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
No, I'm not expecting anyone to come back and say "holy shit, was I wrong," but

Can't explain it but I got a feeling Vrana is going to be great for us to a degree that no one expects.

After 5 games, I have him penciled in on the top PP unit moving forward. He does a good job finding the soft areas in coverage and then wiring a quick one timer when the puck gets to him. We'll see how well he can round out the rest of the game, but he still looks like a 30+ goal shooter to me.

35g next year?

I'm excited about Vrana. 55 goals is silly, but 40 is certainly reasonable. 35 goals becomes almost probable.

Perhaps he is outperforming his norm, but I don't think so. I take this at face value

I guess I'm in the camp of resigning him and I definitely see this kid scoring 40 goals next year.

There's a whole lot of "oops" there.

Enjoy Vrana guys we literally gave him away to you and I still don't know why..
Oh, I think we figured out why. If MV63 had to earn his way to the top line and not just have a spot given to him, ... well, the same should probably apply for the older guys - and maybe not everyone wants to admit it, but there's only 4 guys who can play wing on the top-2 lines and Vrana did little to nothing to merit being put on one of them.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Most Valuable 63? Maybe? Idk, I am perplexed
I think he is suggesting that neighbours is treated as golden child and keeps getting gifted opportunities. Which may be true, bc Jake plays way we want and does what coaches want. It’s about messaging to all of our young kids about expectations, and Jake plays right way.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think he is suggesting that neighbours is treated as golden child and keeps getting gifted opportunities. Which may be true, bc Jake plays way we want and does what coaches want. It’s about messaging to all of our young kids about expectations, and Jake plays right way.

Jake deserved the chance and he's making the most of it. He's in the mix every game, plays physical, stands up for his teammates and has a lot of potential left to unlock. Vrana on the other hand has gotten on his coach's bad side at literally every stop he's had and still doesn't seem to get it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Jake deserved the chance and he's making the most of it. He's in the mix every game, plays physical, stands up for his teammates and has a lot of potential left to unlock. Vrana on the other hand has gotten on his coach's bad side at literally every stop he's had and still doesn't seem to get it.
Exactly. From defranks:

The last time Vrana was on the ice for a Blues goal was Nov. 19 in Anaheim. Since then, the Blues have been outscored 8-0 with him on the ice.

According to Natural Stat Trick, Vrana is the Blues’ worst forward defensively, as St. Louis allows (per 60 minutes at 5 on 5) 5.59 more shots, 5.62 more scoring chances, 3.66 more high-danger chances, 1.12 more expected goals and 1.49 more goals with him on the ice than with him off the ice. All of those figures are worst among St. Louis forwards with at least two games played.

Reactions: BrokenFace

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
You could put any three names in this discussion.
Vrana .32 points per game -5
Blais .25 points per game -5
Kappy .30 points per game -1
Toropchenko .30 points per game -1

All these guys need to go.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

There is a difference between guys who lack talent and guy who won’t work. Guy like Torpo can still be effective in lesser role. Vrana can’t unless he decides to care.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

True, but at least Blais hits guys (currently 8th in the league), and Torpo and Kapanen can kill penalties and be a pain in the ass to play against. You can give any of those 3 guys 8-12 minutes a night and not worry about it. If Vrana isn't scoring, he brings literally nothing else to the table. That's why he's the first to go.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Lou pointed out that he was on the ice for two goals against in the first period; he finished with 8:59 ice time in just 11 shifts (the last of which was his penalty) and has been a minus-2 in each of the past four games he's played in.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

You realize not every player on the roster is going to produce at a point per game clip? Blais and Toropchenko make peanuts, their points per game are reasonable for their role and cap hit.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
You realize not every player on the roster is going to produce at a point per game clip? Blais and Toropchenko make peanuts, their points per game are reasonable for their role and cap hit.
I realize it and I get it, however Kappy, Blais, and Torp all suck as well.

I am not sure there is anyone of the Blues roster, outside of Neighbours, Thomas, and CP, who I would build around, and while CP has been pretty solid this season, I doubt he wants to stick around for what is shaping up to be a long rebuild.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I realize it and I get it, however Kappy, Blais, and Torp all suck as well.

I am not sure there is anyone of the Blues roster, outside of Neighbours, Thomas, and CP, who I would build around, and while CP has been pretty solid this season, I doubt he wants to stick around for what is shaping up to be a long rebuild.
Kapanen is overpaid but can be a serviceable bottom six player. Blais and Toropchenko are decent 4th liners but nothing special. Obviously you are not going to build around these players but you need 23 bodies to fill out a roster.

Reactions: Blueston

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
No, I'm not expecting anyone to come back and say "holy shit, was I wrong," but

There's a whole lot of "oops" there.

Oh, I think we figured out why. If MV63 had to earn his way to the top line and not just have a spot given to him, ... well, the same should probably apply for the older guys - and maybe not everyone wants to admit it, but there's only 4 guys who can play wing on the top-2 lines and Vrana did little to nothing to merit being put on one of them.
"Holy shit I was wrong"

might as well own it...:oops:

Reactions: Reality Czech

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Kapanen is overpaid but can be a serviceable bottom six player. Blais and Toropchenko are decent 4th liners but nothing special. Obviously you are not going to build around these players but you need 23 bodies to fill out a roster.
Kappy no doubt is over paid, watching a game a few weeks ago, you had Kappy in the top 6 and Vrana on a checking line....thats how messed up the Blues under Brube have become.

You have no second line center, you have a scorer playing on a checking line...its insanity.

I would imagine Berube's biggest fear this season was being forced into a position to play Kyrou and Vrana on the same line....10+ million of cap hit playing zero two way hockey and scoring very few goals.....

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad