Voynov will not renew KHL contract, wants NHL return (expressed interest in 5 teams)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
One thing that is not often brought up is that he has also served the longest suspension in NHL history (it tied up cap space for LA and was very frustrating as a fan). Longer than Burtuzzi, which was an incident that happened while on the ice.

For all those who think the NHL has mis handled what else could they have done so far?

Nothing, because the NHL isnt a criminal justice system. It has a code of conduct in every SPC, and they doled out punishment that allows.

But according to the internet?

Burned him at the stake.
Allowed every player's wife in the league to come hit him.
Banish him to the remote mountains of siberia in only a speedo.

basically, whatever far reaches of ones mind could come up with, Voynov should've had happen to him.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You seem to be really struggling with this, or you are letting the fact that he hit his wife incredibly blind your judgement(to be clear, because im sure some vigilante will take this angle - hitting your wife is very bad. im not triying to trivialize it). No one is saying he didnt do it. No one is saying he didnt deserve to be punished. No one is saying he had it hard. No one is saying he was in solitary for 5 years. He entered a plea, and he was handed a sentence that the U.S. legal system deemed appropriate. He served said punishment, and is now free to explore employment opportunities as the law permits.

You don't think the punishment was sever enough. We get it. But what was he supposed to do afterwards? Ask for more jail time?
No, the problem he was having with it is that I exaggerated the punishment handed down by the NHL in my original post to you. I stated he hadn't received any punishment from the NHL, when in reality his suspension with pay, though technically a 'punishment', could be considered a 'vacation' by the average person.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
No, the problem he was having with it is that I exaggerated the punishment handed down by the NHL in my original post to you. I stated he hadn't received any punishment from the NHL, when in reality his suspension with pay, though technically a 'punishment', could be considered a 'vacation' by the average person.
It sure punished the Kings that season I can tell you that.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
There's a chance the league will simply deny him a return. That would save the potential double PR headache for both the NHL head office and whatever team signs him.

If that doesn't happen, hard to say, but the Leafs are a perfect fit strictly in terms of on-ice. Not sure they'd want the backlash with the way the media is here though.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There's a chance the league will simply deny him a return. That would save the potential double PR headache for both the NHL head office and whatever team signs him.

If that doesn't happen, hard to say, but the Leafs are a perfect fit strictly in terms of on-ice. Not sure they'd want the backlash with the way the media is here though.

I'd say the Leafs and Oilers might be the best fit for him, for their needs, and his opportunity. Ethics aside.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Again, he was handed punishment deemed fit by the NHL. The average person generally doesn't feel they let their team down when they have to cover for their absence, and miss the playoffs/play poorly because of their actions. This isnt a normal workplace. Most players generally enjoy their jobs and not being able to go to work is painful for them. It's not a 'vacation'.

Again, Just because you dont like the punishment doesnt mean it wasnt a punishment.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
In what way?

Im no expert - so dont quote me - but i believe Canada has very strict laws for people with certain criminal histories - i dont know the intricacies though, perhaps someone a little more familiar could spell it out in more detail. I think i was discussing it with someone much earlier in this thread.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Im no expert - so dont quote me - but i believe Canada has very strict laws for people with certain criminal histories - i dont know the intricacies though, perhaps someone a little more familiar could spell it out in more detail. I think i was discussing it with someone much earlier in this thread.

From my understanding, Voynov had his criminal record expunged, and there should be no restrictions. Essentially, he no longer has a criminal history.

Breaking: Voynov’s criminal record dismissed, in negotiations with two NHL teams

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Or maybe it's because the league isn't the justice system to begin with? There is a reason why these things are suppose to be tried in court and not twitter. There are guidelines to whats evidence or not. There's a seperation between fact and opinion and there pre-determined rules as to what a crime is.

Half the morons here were advocating for Kane to be kicked out of the NHL here as well right around the same time if you recall.

NHL is not the justice system and social warriors (I mean morons) aren't the ****ing jury. Its a really simple thing. Otherwise, you might as well suggest that we get rid of the justice system all together.
I'm equally getting exhausted of this also, I am to the point now, I just want all sports leagues. NHL, NFL, MLB, etc. To just leave it with the courts. A person gets found guilty in court, then do what you will... But if they are not convicted just let them play. I am absolutely exhausted of how loud the echo chamber of the court of public opinion on social media has gotten.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I'm not sure what you're aiming at here but it seems like a long meandering discussion to no end. He plead guilty to a misdemeanor. He hit her--that's not up for debate.

If you believe Slava Voynov should be granted a second chance, how about Ray Rice? Very similar incidents--one just happened to be on videotape.

Its pretty clear what I was saying so I think its more of a case of you avoiding to actually address the matter.

Ray Rice or Voynov or whomever... Its not up to NHL or NFL to hand them out punishment or 'second chances' on matters that have nothing to do with hockey or football. There's a legal system for that and if that legal systems deems they should be in jail then so be it. Voynov went through it, did the punishment and served his time. NHL's concern should be whether he can play hockey. The same morons out here aren't going to do anything anyway if he plays except to bitch and moan. 'How there somebody who isn't nice, make money'...

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Seems to me that until the NHL reviews his case and determines what suspension (if any) is appropriate, his value is exactly zero. No team would give up assets for him not knowing when (if ever) he can play for them.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I'm equally getting exhausted of this also, I am to the point now, I just want all sports leagues. NHL, NFL, MLB, etc. To just leave it with the courts. A person gets found guilty in court, then do what you will... But if they are not convicted just let them play. I am absolutely exhausted of how loud the echo chamber of the court of public opinion on social media has gotten.

To be honest, many of these corporations themselves are at fault. They take the opportunity to market themselves and reinforce these idiots opinion that 'they got it done'. Yet, the same company will hide the fact that a puck or something is made in some forced labor camp for kids...

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Its pretty clear what I was saying so I think its more of a case of you avoiding to actually address the matter.

Ray Rice or Voynov or whomever... Its not up to NHL or NFL to hand them out punishment or 'second chances' on matters that have nothing to do with hockey or football. There's a legal system for that and if that legal systems deems they should be in jail then so be it. Voynov went through it, did the punishment and served his time. NHL's concern should be whether he can play hockey. The same morons out here aren't going to do anything anyway if he plays except to ***** and moan. 'How there somebody who isn't nice, make money'...
It might be clear but it's also repeating some of the content already discussed in this thread, which is why I really have no interest in going into further discussion regarding it. You say he's faced the music and served his time. And I say he's flexed his enormous wealth and avoided consequences in more than one way throughout the process. It's not really necessary to expand beyond that. To each their own, I suppose.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
It might be clear but it's also repeating some of the content already discussed in this thread, which is why I really have no interest in going into further discussion regarding it. You say he's faced the music and served his time. And I say he's flexed his enormous wealth and avoided consequences in more than one way throughout the process. It's not really necessary to expand beyond that. To each their own, I suppose.

HIS WIFE is still with him. Who the f*** are you to get to be the judge?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Ray Rice's wife is still with him, too. That doesn't condone the actions.

Why do you think he can't find a job?

(mod) Nobody condoned anyone's actions. Its more like, it isnt your issue to pass judgement upon. Mind you, his wife herself critized you folks for this very shit. Where they were going through bad time and the online idiots only made it worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nobody condoned anyone's actions. Its more like, it isnt your issue to pass judgement upon. Mind you, his wife herself critized you folks for this very ****. Where they were going through bad time and the online idiots only made it worse.
This is something else. You're legitimately upset that there are people who don't wish to see convicted abusers on their favorite professional hockey and football teams. You do realize that is insane, right?

I believe that professional athletes should be set to the same standards that the general public does when it comes to committing heinous crimes. Wild, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This is something else. You're legitimately upset that there are people who don't wish to see convicted abusers on their favorite professional hockey and football teams. You do realize that is insane, right?

I believe that professional athletes should be set to the same standards that the general public does when it comes to committing heinous crimes. Wild, eh?

Certainly, since domestic abuse happens all the time, and with very little fanfare to it. Go watch Live PD or Cops or something and it happens all the time.

Its actually the reverse of what youre saying - Ray Rice and Voynov's cases are given extra internet fanfare and therefore further scrutinized because of their status as athletes. They are held to a higher standard because they are 'role models' for kids.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

That seems like the sort of thing he can file a grievance over and win. The villain, here, besides Voynov, is the State of California, which vacated his conviction for God knows what reason (I assume someone was bribed).

With a DV conviction, Voynov can't even get a work visa, and all of this is moot. Without one, I'm not sure any party has the power to keep him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad