VOTE ... when to start ATD12

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
15 of us so far like the Compromise Idea: option 1 plus so-called option 4, midSept start ATD12 and January start ATD13.

We seem to have something approaching consensus. It's not perfect but is a transition compromise, from a twice a year draft to a once-a-year winter tradition.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
15 of us so far like the Compromise Idea: option 1 plus so-called option 4, midSept start ATD12 and January start ATD13.

We seem to have something approaching consensus. It's not perfect but is a transition compromise, from a twice a year draft to a once-a-year winter tradition.

i hope you are still considering guiding the ship for atd12 vanislander.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
i hope you are still considering guiding the ship for atd12 vanislander.
Yes, if there are no objections,... and I will run a tight ship: we will be done everything by the end of November! No way will it carry into the December season (the last two weeks before Xmas is HELL in many people's schedules).

The idea is to have the entire month of December off, six weeks in all between drafts if the January draft sign-up period is the first week of the New year and the draft begins at the end of the second week (many go on holidays over the New Year's period. I went to Guam until January 8th this year, will likely be in Thailand the coming Dec-Jan holiday break :newyear:

ATD13 in January will be someone else's boat to float, as time wil not be of the essence, can go at a more relaxed pace. I'll join as a GM then.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
On the point about being able to take a more leisure approach to the ATD if it were an annual thing. I think that's the problem. The go-go-go is neccessary to keep as many people in it as possible. Regardless of whether we do it once a year or once a month, a process that drags on hurts the draft.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's not that I want the draft to go slower, but it would be nice if the attitude of urgency surrounding it was toned down. The fact that it is neither approaching Christmas nor summer, should remedy that.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Exactly what seventies said. If someone decides to exercise their 12-hour clock, there's not much problem. Not that I think we should all take 12 hours to make one pick, just saying it wouldn't piss people off because it would barely affect their schedules. With a "Christmas deadline", a 12 hour delay could mean one less day of shopping/family time, which is a huge deal, because there's so scarce few days off for all of us in this busy world.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The attitude of urgency is necessary IMO. Without the draft will continue to just peter out like it did last time in the playoffs. Maybe we're talking about different things - i see vcl mention the clock - but to me, the reason we had the initial discussion on rules was to ensure that things are much more compact and organized to avoid the pitfalls of previous drafts. The fact we have two drafts a year isn't really a factor in the issues we see develop in an individual draft, so only having one - from Jan-Apr for instance doesn't effect those issues from my perspective.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm not envisioning a massively "stretched out" draft. I'm saying, instead of it taking 8 weeks from the first pick to the last, maybe it takes 10.

That's a minor concern though. My biggest was the lack of time between ATDs and it appears that we are heading in the direction of solving that.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
16 of us (a majority) like the Compromise Idea: option 1 plus so-called option 4, midSept start ATD12 and January start ATD13.

We are close to consensus. In the absence of strenuous objections, it'll be nice to have agreed on what to do.

One more week to gauge opinions, then most likely: expect a two-week sign-up period for ATD12 to commence September 1st and a PM invite to all who have posted on this thread to be sent to you no later than Sept. 2nd for a Friday, September 18th start to ATD12 and an unspecified midJanuary start to ATD13.

It is possible that some may opt out of the fall draft but it is hoped all can participate in the winter draft, the first of what is expected to be an annual event.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sounds like a good idea. I am doubtful to be able to commit to a Sept. ATD, but one in January I should have no problems with.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think the draft needs the quick pace. That's when it's fun: when you get a lot of picks in a day, or a run of a few picks in an hour. When you have only a few picks in a day (say, less than eight), it really drags, it gets boring in a hurry, and guys get ticked off.

Frankly, if you need 12 hours for your pick in a fun draft with a bunch of people you'll never meet, you probably don't have your priorities right.

Also, if we're going to move to an annual draft instead of a semi-annual draft, then I think we need to talk to the other GMs and decide whether to start it in January, March or September. A January or a March draft might not work for GMs who have kids in A, AA or AAA teams in hockey or baseball.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Frankly, if you need 12 hours for your pick in a fun draft with a bunch of people you'll never meet, you probably don't have your priorities right.

Yeah, if you're sitting there for 12 hours researching, studying, and figuring out who to pick.

Using much of your 12-hour deadline because you were sleeping, at work, or spending time with your family tells me that you do have your priorities straight.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Using much of your 12-hour deadline because you were sleeping, at work, or spending time with your family tells me that you do have your priorities straight.

Lists lists lists. During draft time, every night, before bed, I make sure I have an at least five man list that I can ship to someone. Somedays, I may not be back on for 18 hours, but the list is usually enough.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yes, and I don't want to understate the importance of a list.

But if it's 8 hours into someone's deadline I'd rather we're not thinking "boy, what a jerk, we have a draft to run here, and he's using his whole window..." we should be thinking "obviously he has a life that is more important than the draft, and if he uses his whole window, so be it! Should have left a list, but that's life."

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
But if it's 8 hours into someone's deadline I'd rather we're not thinking "boy, what a jerk, we have a draft to run here, and he's using his whole window..." we should be thinking "obviously he has a life that is more important than the draft, and if he uses his whole window, so be it! Should have left a list, but that's life."
if the windows aren't too long then that isn't a big problem

if a team is skipped for missing its entire window, that isn't a big problem either, as picks can be made up asap or else a shortlist sent beforehand with instructions only to use if window expires (I've had a couple of GMs do that before)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
16 of us (a majority) like the Compromise Idea: option 1 plus so-called option 4, midSept start ATD12 and January start ATD13.

We are close to consensus. In the absence of strenuous objections, it'll be nice to have agreed on what to do.

One more week to gauge opinions, then most likely: expect a two-week sign-up period for ATD12 to commence September 1st and a PM invite to all who have posted on this thread to be sent to you no later than Sept. 2nd for a Friday, September 18th start to ATD12 and an unspecified midJanuary start to ATD13.

It is possible that some may opt out of the fall draft but it is hoped all can participate in the winter draft, the first of what is expected to be an annual event.
24 hours more for last minute feedback here...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad