VOTE ... when to start ATD12

camperjr

Feb 19, 2007
Corrected.

29 votes so far... 10-4-9

option 1: Hedberg, papershoes, VanIslander, Leafs Forever, chaosrevolver, Nalyd Psycho, Mr.Bugg, nik jr, Leaf Lander, raleh

option 2: Rzeznik, vancityluongo, arrbez, DoMakc

option 3: seventieslord, cottonking, Hockey Outsider, Chigurh, Jungosi, Vakar Lajos, sturminator, EagleBelfour, camperjr

(and maybe Transplanted Caper who wants to start early option 1 to end before Christmas or else start much later in January, the so-called option 4 which might basically be a vote for option 3 because it is the 'later' vote category and if option 3 wins then in October a date can set, maybe another poll then as to whether make it November or January.)

no preference regarding options: Reds4life, pappyline, pitseleh, Dreakmur, Zamboni Mania

If that is a voting option my vote would be Option 3 later. A January Start for me would be the best.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
If we're going to do another one this year, it has to start in September. Get it done in two months, finish the playoffs within a month. If we start in October, we'll run into a situation where the playoffs run into Christmas, and all that happens at Christmas time. If we start in November, the draft will be interrupted by the Christmas rush. It'll either run slow for a month, or we'll need a break, and there's no guarantee it'll regain momentum in January.

So I say start it in September if we're doing another one. If not, wait until mid-January.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If we're going to do another one this year, it has to start in September. Get it done in two months, finish the playoffs within a month. If we start in October, we'll run into a situation where the playoffs run into Christmas, and all that happens at Christmas time. If we start in November, the draft will be interrupted by the Christmas rush. It'll either run slow for a month, or we'll need a break, and there's no guarantee it'll regain momentum in January.
excellent analysis!

that seems to be a vote for option one, eh?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
30 :thumbu: votes so far... 10-4-9

with TC and GBC unclearly situated in terms of the poll options

no real preference for: Reds4life, pappyline, pitseleh, Dreakmur, Zamboni Mania

IDEALLY, instead of a win-by-a-nose result, the option 1 people and the option 3 people ought to consider how committed they are to their position. where is the soft vote? who is willing to move to no preference? that might clear up the situation a bit

and over the next week and a half between now and the end of August, some more may weigh in on the issue

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
30 votes so far... 11-4-9

with Transplanted Caper unclearly situated in terms of the poll options

no real preference for: Reds4life, pappyline, pitseleh, Dreakmur, Zamboni Mania

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
a compromise idea just to throw out there:

if most of those who voted option 3 also don't mind starting later than that, in january (the so-called option 4) then why not have ATD12 early and ATD13 start in January with no MLD this time around (the MLD could be a summer thing)... that way those who want to start early (option 1) are satisfied and those who prefer to start later can choose whether to join the ATD12 (maybe as a co-GM if too busy) or whether to simply wait for ATD13 in January... seems like a win-win solution :yo: those who worry about burnout just wait for the January draft (and the January draft doesn't need to go at a fast pace because there will be PLENTY of time for it through the long cold winter).

win-win?

just an idea

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com

if most of those who voted option 3 also don't mind starting later than that, in january (the so-called option 4) then why not have ATD12 early and ATD13 start in January with no MLD this time around (the MLD could be a summer thing)... that way those who want to start early (option 1) are satisfied and those who prefer to start later can choose whether to join the ATD12 (maybe as a co-GM if too busy) or whether to simply wait for ATD13 in January... seems like a win-win solution :yo: those who worry about burnout just wait for the January draft (and the January draft doesn't need to go at a fast pace because there will be PLENTY of time for it through the long cold winter).

win-win?

just an idea

I'm not against, but it's like telling drug addicted that they can have two doses: one today and one tomorrow, but if they want they can skip their dose today and just take tomorrow's dose ... if there's two ATD I'll be in both no question asked.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

win-win?

just an idea

The more the merrier. I'm in.

But if burnout is a legit problem, this ain't helping.

And for the record. I support an ATD in Sept. I support one in January. I'm weary of an october start and I can flat out guarantee I will not participate if it is a novermber start.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I support an ATD in Sept. I support one in January. I'm weary of an october start and I can flat out guarantee I will not participate if it is a novermber start.
i'm very close to this position, and GBC seems to be too: option 1 or wait until January (hence my crazy idea: have BOTH.... midsept start then january start)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea

i assumed that those who might be burned out would simply take a break from the midseptember draft and join the january draft instead! ... but maybe this assumption doesn't hold if as EB stated, one is addicted, and unable to skip a draft even if it's best for them to pass on one

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario

win-win?

just an idea

in my opinion, the best idea yet. perfect compromise!

also, this could be a good way to get the atd onto a different time schedule (i.e., starting in january each year).

camperjr

Feb 19, 2007

win-win?

just an idea

Great Idea

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
5 of us so far like the Compromise Idea (option 1 plus 4, midSept start ATD12 and January start ATD13)

any objections?

(we still have over a week to await further voting on the original three options to this poll, though it sure seems like we are of two minds on this, 1 and 3 getting a lot of votes, so the Compromise Idea might be a win-win solution)

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Out of the options, yeah. A vote for option 1. And a loud and clear vote against options 2 and 3.

Ditto, things will be busier at work in the lead up to Christmas and then I'm off to Cape Breton to two weeks at Christmas time where I won't be thinking much about the ATD. Would probably participate in the Oct one, but certainly wouldn't in the November one if it meant having to be close enough to a computer to be drafting

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Exactly! I appreciate the ingenuity but the burnout problem is a killer for me. Not to mention having a balanced life.

I'm not against, but it's like telling drug addicted that they can have two doses: one today and one tomorrow, but if they want they can skip their dose today and just take tomorrow's dose ... if there's two ATD I'll be in both no question asked.

Same here. There's no way I'd miss a 32-team ATD.

Here's where I stand:

I absolutely 100% support this idea if: The January ATD13 is the start of a yearly ATD where we have the draft once a year. It would be a 32-team affair, where it would be easier to take your time a bit more and not always so "go go go" - people would be more likely to participate in the MLD knowing that there's not another ATD right around the corner and we'd likely have some of the best MLDs ever. I would join ATD12 and ATD13 and every MLD or AAA draft we ever had. To me, this is akin to me saying "ok boss, I'll work 4 hours OT on Thursday and Friday, but I want Monday off."

I absolutely do not support this idea if: it's just business as usual afterwards and everyone wants to have another ATD a couple of months later. It would be the exact opposite of what I've been looking for - status quo, PLUS an extra ATD thrown in there for good measure.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
12 of us so far like the Compromise Idea.

I absolutely 100% support this idea if: The January ATD13 is the start of a yearly ATD where we have the draft once a year. It would be a 32-team affair, where it would be easier to take your time a bit more and not always so "go go go" - people would be more likely to participate in the MLD knowing that there's not another ATD right around the corner and we'd likely have some of the best MLDs ever.
That seems to be our path, a once-a-year WINTER all-time draft starting in January.

There would be no rush, and after it a MLD could go into the spring at NHL playoff time when we're still thinking about hockey. Then there could be a natural summer break. And in the fall an AAA draft for anyone interested in doing some digging into hockey history.

It seems like a great longterm schedule. I can see the ATD becoming a yearly tradition that way, indeed.

vancityluongo said:
Would either of them be 32 team drafts?
Possibly, depending on interest. We have at least 30 GMs who responded to this poll. And there might be a few newbies who show up. Some GMs might take a timeout for the fall. The January ATD13 would hopefully attract a lot of interest, especially as the first of the annual edition. If we're only going to have it once a year then we should not turn away anyone interested.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
As much as I would like to have 32-team drafts, I find it hard to believe that we will be able to even find 32 teams for both drafts in September and January.

Hopefully we do! But I see a lot of guys joining just one or the other.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
It would be cool to have both drafts have completely different people- we'd have 64 teams and GM styles to pick over and analyze.

I change my vote to go along with Option 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad