Proposal: Vote in our Oilers for the ASG

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Effectively ended Jonas Hiller's career as well. He was a really good goalie until he took one off the mask in the ASG and was never the same since due to ongoing vertigo.
That ASG was in 2011 and he was still a pretty capable goalie by the looks of things.

1705080033624.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That ASG was in 2011 and he was still a pretty capable goalie by the looks of things.

View attachment 801674

Keep in mind the era - league average SV% was around .910 at the time. Those numbers were far less impressive then than they would be today.

Went from a top performer to average performer to out of the league within 5 years. That's with a bunch of missed time in between.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Keep in mind the era - league average SV% was around .910 at the time. Those numbers were far less impressive then than they would be today.

Went from a top performer to average performer to out of the league within 5 years. That's with a bunch of missed time in between.

He burst onto the scene, but also played on a Very Good Anaheim team where his teammate also posted .922 save percentage in Hiller's rookie year.

Giguere was starting to fade and Hiller it seems should have been played more, but aside from 08-09 Hiller's sv% was comparable to a backup.

Ray Emery technically had .926 (in only 10 games) the season he was an all star (Granted, Hiller's Save % would have been impacted this season by the vertigo).

I'm also curious about the difference between top and bottom end goalies. 08-09 Hiller crushed it, but in 09-10 even with a very good .007 above league average he was still only 10th in the league in save percentage among starters. Very good, but also closer to median (15th) than the top spot.

I think there's also something to be said about the team in front of him, given the fact that his early Anaheim career he joined a team that had a defensive corps that would have still included players like Niedermeyer and Pronger. In only one season did Hiller get a Vezina vote: the shortened season he split with Victor Fasth. This is a subjective measurement... but I would dispute the assertion of a top goalie for someone that the rest of the hockey landscape does not feel is the same.

1705103878247.png

Here is the age graph for goalies. Hiller's drop off should also not ignore age as goalies tend to peak in the late 20s (right when Hiller did).

1705104722486.png

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hot take but I don't want Draisaitl anywhere near the all-star game. I don't think he's a fan of it and he literally sabotages any events he's in. I'd much rather see Bouch and Hyman go. They're both from that area and deserving of the accolades this year.
You probably want to have Drai there just to be with McD. Don't want him to have to be pals with some kind of leafs players...

Not that I disagree Hyman and Booch are more deserving this season they're not getting in. So looks like its Drai. Gives McD somebody decent to be with.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00