Proposal: Vote in our Oilers for the ASG

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
All Star Game is a good chance for the league to market it's players and stars. Plus growing up as a kid i remember i loved watching it and still do enjoy it now.

McDavid is part of the architect for the new all star format and i'm pumped for it. Everyone needs to lighten up, the risk of injury is low in an event that a lot of players don't even fully try.

All it takes is one stumble into the boards or one puck to the hand/foot to change this in a hurry.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
All Star Game is a good chance for the league to market it's players and stars. Plus growing up as a kid i remember i loved watching it and still do enjoy it now.

McDavid is part of the architect for the new all star format and i'm pumped for it. Everyone needs to lighten up, the risk of injury is low in an event that a lot of players don't even fully try.

Rick DiPietro's career wasn't the same after his only All-Star appearance.

DiPietro was selected to appear in his first and only All-Star Game in 2008 as a reserve, but was later named the starter after New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur dropped out. During the skills competition the night before, DiPietro injured his hip during the shootout competition. DiPietro continued to play until the Islanders no longer had a chance to make the playoffs and on March 19, it was announced that DiPietro would miss the remainder of the 2007–08 season because of the hip surgery.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Rick DiPietro's career wasn't the same after his only All-Star appearance.

Effectively ended Jonas Hiller's career as well. He was a really good goalie until he took one off the mask in the ASG and was never the same since due to ongoing vertigo.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Effectively ended Jonas Hiller's career as well. He was a really good goalie until he took one off the mask in the ASG and was never the same since due to ongoing vertigo.

Not a goalie, but don't forget Shawn Horcoff. Horcoff was on pace for one of his best seasons ever in 2007-08 (50p in 53 games) and then the Oilers shoulder curse struck him at the ASG in Atlanta. One more 50 pt season over 82 games in 08-09, and then it was all downhill from there.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not a goalie, but don't forget Shawn Horcoff. Horcoff was on pace for one of his best seasons ever in 2007-08 (50p in 53 games) and then the Oilers shoulder curse struck him at the ASG in Atlanta. One more 50 pt season over 82 games in 08-09, and then it was all downhill from there.

Definitely didn't forget that one, mentioned him in my first post.

Ever since I've hated any Oiler in the All Star game, especially since it's devolved into even much more of a sideshow joke than it was 15 years ago. There used to be at least some sense of gravitas to the event (not a lot, but some), but that was before they desperately tried to create "YouTube moments" (god I hated that term when it was bandied about years ago) that turned the entire event into a gimmick filled circus.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Oh ya.

I was told in the Connor Brown thread, over and over, that he’s a value asset to the team (although I vehemently disagree); so I guess it’s appropriate that he take his skills to the ASG.

I'm also hoping the write in vote segment from other team fan bases, for him, is huge. I find that the ASG is a joke, so I’m just playing along .

;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl and bone

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was about to comment on that post with the same. Horcoff's prime was destroyed by his ASG injury. At least he still got paid though, am I right?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Draisaitl & Hyman for sure. Bouchard as an All-Star would be funny

Having 4 All-Stars would be neat
Not sure how Bouchard at ASG would be 'funny' considering he is only 1 pt back of Hyman and 3 back of Draisaitl.

Being a Dman he deserves it more than the forwards. His bouch bomb needs more advertisement

Pettersson will make it I think. It will be Drai vs Hyman not both.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I might be in the minority on this one but I’m hoping not many of our players get in. We need to focus on what matters (the playoffs). I’m also hoping that McDavid has the balls to say no to the All Star Weekend like other stars such as Ovechkin have done in the past.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Not sure how Bouchard at ASG would be 'funny' considering he is only 1 pt back of Hyman and 3 back of Draisaitl.

Being a Dman he deserves it more than the forwards. His bouch bomb needs more advertisement

Pettersson will make it I think. It will be Drai vs Hyman not both.
Funny in the sense that at this exact time last year, he was pretty bad

I should’ve added more context, sorry if I hurt anyone’s feelings

Reactions: LTIR

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Hot take but I don't want Draisaitl anywhere near the all-star game. I don't think he's a fan of it and he literally sabotages any events he's in. I'd much rather see Bouch and Hyman go. They're both from that area and deserving of the accolades this year.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I might be in the minority on this one but I’m hoping not many of our players get in. We need to focus on what matters (the playoffs). I’m also hoping that McDavid has the balls to say no to the All Star Weekend like other stars such as Ovechkin have done in the past.

Unfortunately that would mean a two game suspension for McDavid.

I'd prefer if the players tried to do away with the all star game in the next CBA negotiation, but it's unlikely that the fight would be worth it in the context of bigger picture issues.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023

The Allstar game back in the 80's had passion. You even said they don't try lol how can anyone get entertained by nobody skating hard or trying hard? Lol you can go to any outdoor rink and do the same skills these players half hearted do at all star games. The all-star game in the 80's I looked forward to knowing that it resembled close to an actual game and the star back then wanted to go and rarely made excuses not to go. Players now are soft and entitled. The all-star game now doesn't hold the same value as it did back then. Actually it's embarrassing watching the half hearted attempts at the skills competition that I see done better by myself or others just playing outdoor shinny. Scrap the game!! Players now have no appreciation for it

Reactions: Fourier and Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4