Confirmed with Link: Vladislav Gavrikov signs 2 year contract extension

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'd rather have had 3-4 years, but agree with this. 2 years gives us a pretty good window to make some exciting things happen. If Blake can pull off some other moves and the salary cap goes up like everyone expects, have a really good opportunity to do some damage in the playoffs.

Dude, you gotta put the pipe down.
Who’s replacing Kopitar? How about you focus on the meat of the argument rather than being a clown.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If the Kings could land a Juuse Saros for a package of Arthur Kaliyev and Sean Durzi, would you guys pull the trigger? Saros has two years remaining and will be a UFA at the age of 30 when his contract runs out, but he's also been a model of consistency in net and would give the Kings a legit top flight goaltender.

Plugging in a netminder like Saros behind a defense of Anderson-Doughty, Gavrikov-Clarke, Bjornfot-Roy-Spence would be a significant upgrade over having turds like Edler, Walker and Durzi in the lineup.
On 32 Thoughts today, they said Saros's name is out there, but implied it would likely take a significant overpayment.

I don't think that package would be enough for Nashville. You'd have to throw in the 2024 1st as well. Maybe more.

The other problem is our salary cap. Saros has a hit of 5M. We still need to sign Vilardi (4M?).

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Whats different about this 'rebuild' vs 2010s is there's hopium based on the potentially appreciating assets like Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, Clarke, Kaliyev... will not just offset - but surpass the declining assets in 8 and 11. Its like walking up a down escalator... they better haul ass.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Who’s replacing Kopitar? How about you focus on the meat of the argument rather than being a clown.
Look - you make a valid point on Kopitar. If Byfield doesn't pan out, there is a serious issue with who our #1C would be. I think Vilardi could step into that role and Danault would still be a great #2/#3.

You are exaggerating when you talk about a total rebuild...for a team that has made the playoffs the last 2 years. That is a clown argument.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With him being rumored on the block before I wouldn't be surprised if Vilardi and/or Turcotte were the pieces to go in a big goalie trade.

And no I don't want that of course but there's been smoke for too long

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Look - you make a valid point on Kopitar. If Byfield doesn't pan out, there is a serious issue with who our #1C would be. I think Vilardi could step into that role and Danault would still be a great #2/#3.

You are exaggerating when you talk about a total rebuild...for a team that has made the playoffs the last 2 years. That is a clown argument.
Interesting you say that. I totally forgot. Yes without Kopitar this team will absolutely make the playoffs with no number 1C.

Are you actually thinking before you respond because you’re legit contradicting yourself.

Do you think Kopitar isn’t a big reason why the Kings are in the playoffs? So with him gone and no one to replace him … you must think the Kings are playoff bound or something with your line of reasoning LMFAO

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
I know Blake made his bed but honestly I'm really happy about how he's handled this last few months. He's now launched the worse goalie combo in the NHL (Quick + Petersen) and the two worst Dmen on the team (Walker and Edler [who won't be re-signed]) into the sun, while acquiring and extending a perfect fit in Gavrikov. He deserves credit for not chasing Chychrun, not moving our best prospects, and cutting the right dead weight. Yeah I wish it was cheaper overall but the cost is sunk and this flurry makes things better.

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
Yeah. He is kinda fixing his mistakes. Still need to resign Vilardi and a goalie though. Something else is gonna happen soon. Someone is getting traded or possible two.

Durzi please

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Kings have a lot of players wanting ice time on Offense and Defense so something has to give!Both in LA and Ontario

Signing Gavrikov was a good/great move...now a goaltender!Is it Korpisalo or someone else?Stayed tuned LA Fanatics

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Kings have a lot of players wanting ice time on Offense and Defense so something has to give!Both in LA and Ontario

Signing Gavrikov was a good/great move...now a goaltender!Is it Korpisalo or someone else?Stayed tuned LA Fanatics

I will never say I like Blake more than Lombardi....but at least Blake recovers and impoves the team, each of the last 3 offseasons.

Summer 2021 - Danault signing. Bold in length and $. Danault has excelled and surpassed 20 goals
Arvidsson for a 2nd and 3rd. Scores 20 goals, solid all around...and considering came off back surgery.
Helped make the best 2nd line in years.
Edler helped back end (just should not have resigned him)
Summer 2022 - Fiala for #1 and Faber. If not injued, would have led Kings in scoring and possibly he and Vilardi, Amderson being healthy. could have helped beat Edm. Got Mikey signed to 1 million. Fiala would have led the team in scoring, playing mostly with Lizotte? Are you kidding?
Summer 2023 - Signs Gavrikov. Whether or not how, he's the best D out there to be had. The price paid to move Cal and Walker was not that hefty. Grans is not even a good AHL player. That;s not Rob's fault. There's enough money to sign Gabe and a goalie Korpisalo or ? It would be so funny to see them sign Hill and Hill go on to beat Edm, Vgk, or Avs next year. Danault and Fiala were Summer surprises...let's see if there's one for 2023.

Dean's failings were 3 years of faliures, 2014-2017. after the Gaborik trade. Not a single upgrade in 3 years. Yet, he's virtually enshrined here. Could not make 1 single upgrade in his last 3 years.
Absolutely built something extraordinary from these: Vis for Greene and Stoll. O Sullivan for Williams. Schenn, Simmonds for Richards. Signing Mitchell. J Johnson +1 for Carter. Scuderi the first time around. Regehr for 2 2nds. Penner, I guess. Lot's of character and grit.
Compare Blake's last 3 years to Dean's 2014 -2017. Danault one of top Smmer 2021 adds.
Fiala possibly best Summer ad., 2022. (he;'s still scratching the surface)
2023. No team will add a better D than Gavrikov. Whether or not he was already King.
Gav said he would not talk deal and definitely become a free agent July 1. Well? Kudos
to Blake for getting it done,. Gav didn;t do what he said he was going to do!

Looking at the Quick + #1 for Gavrikov, Korpisalo, it's a good deal. They freed cap to get Korpisalo or equivalent goalie. I still believe a healthy Fiala, Vilardi and Anderson, would have made a real difference. Consider good deals: Fiala at 7.9 Gavrikiv at 5.875. Mikey at 4.1
All 3 GREAT deals. But all I see is the atrociuos Cal 5 mil and Walker 2.65 mil

I expect that since they made an early strike and remove Cal (we still believe in him? exit interview . lol) and Walker. Shows they have more plans and will execute them.

Dean's body of work. Look at from Gaborik onward. 3 years of not 1 single upgrade. All during
#11, 8, 32, 23 primes.

possible Summer surprises:
deal 1 or more of Lizotte, Durzi, AI.
Sign someone like Domi ? A Lizotte upgrade.
A goalie no one has on their radar.
1 forward or defenseman surprise acquisition.

Last edited:
Reactions: funky and lumbergh

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I will never say I like Blake more than Lombardi....but at least Blake recovers and impoves the team, each of the last 3 offseasons.

Summer 2021 - Danault signing. Bold in length and $. Danault has excelled and surpassed 20 goals
Arvidsson for a 2nd and 3rd. Scores 20 goals, solid all around...and considering came off back surgery.
Summer 2022 - Fiala for #1 and Faber. If not injued, would have led Kings in scoring and possibly he and Vilardi, Amderson being healthy. could have helped beat Edm. Got Mikey signed to 1 million. Fiala would have led the team in scoring, playing mostly with Lizotte? Are you kidding?
Summer 2023 - Signs Gavrikov. Whether or not how, he's the best D out there to be had. The price paid to move Cal and Walker was not that hefty. Grans is not even a good AHL player. That;s not Rob's fault. There's enough money to sign Gabe and a goalie Korpisalo or ? It would be so funny to see them sign Hill and Hill go on to beat Edm, Vgk, or Avs next year. Danault and Fiala were Summer surprises...let's see if there's one for 2023.

Dean's failings were 3 years of faliures, 2014-2017. after the Gaborik trade. Not a single upgrade in 3 years. Yet, he's virtually enshrined here. Could not make 1 single upgrade in his last 3 years.
Absolutely built something extraordinary from these: Vis for Greene and Stoll. O Sullivan for Williams. Schenn, Simmonds for Richards. Signing Mitchell. J Johnson +1 for Carter. Scuderi the first time around. Regehr for 2 2nds. Penner, I guess. Lot's of character and grit.
Compare Blake's last 3 years to Dean's 2014 -2017. Danault one of top Smmer 2021 adds.
2023. No team will add a better D than Gavrikov. Whether or not he was already King.
Gav said he would not talk deal and definitely become a free agent July 1. Well? Kudos

Looking at the Quick + #1 for Gavrikov, Korpisalo, it's a good deal. They freed cap to get Korpisalo or equivalent goalie. I still believe a healthy Fiala, Vilardi and Anderson, would have made a real difference. Consider good deals: Fiala at 7.9 Gavrikiv at 5.875. Mikey at 4.1

I expect that since they made an early strike and remove Cal (we still believe in him? exit interview . lol) and Walker. Shows they have more plans and will execute them.

Dean's body of work. Look at from Gaborik onward. 3 years of not 1 single upgrade. All during
#11, 8, 32, 23 primes.

If Blake went Cup-WCF-Cup before this, he could f*** a tailpipe in the middle of the 101 at rush hour in his Sharks jersey with a Kings "C" in his hand and he'd still be enshrined.

There's a reason he's taking a beating.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If Blake went Cup-WCF-Cup before this, he could f*** a tailpipe in the middle of the 101 at rush hour in his Sharks jersey with a Kings "C" in his hand and he'd still be enshrined.

There's a reason he's taking a beating.

I've wondered more than once if the accellerated rebuild didn't come from higher up. For all we know Uncle Phil could've said, put a winner on the ice after year 3 of the rebuild.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

Sometimes....#1 centers are waiver fodder....and not top 10 draft picks. See Chandler Stephenson.
Ok, he was #1 for a year or so for VGK. (with the Caps kept him!!) But, he's a helluva player. As BMR mentioned, Vilardi can become a #1 center. Look at the leap he took from last years first round playoffs, in which he was scratched, to the season he had, starting 4 months later. Quite a leap. If he just makes a few incremental forward steps, he may be a star. His skill is undeniable. It was always his health / back and foot speed...and somewhat defensive play. All 3 have been conqured. He will not win a lot of races, but has Kopitsar ever won a foot race??

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’d now move pieces to get in a Soucy type… move Roy and Toby in a package for the LHD spot, opens up space for Spence and Clarke. It works if the LHD is grittier and more physical than Roy, giving us 3 balanced pairs. I’d move Durzi still, to stop him being played (I’d keep him as 7th D otherwise) and a cheap FA will be available to be the 7th D (or someone in Ontario).

Then move Arvi, promote Kaliyev and you can afford to add a gritty veteran for the 4th line whilst retaining flexibility in the cap for a goaltender and mid season moves. Cash for Gabe available also.

All fantasy hockey stuff though… not that easy.

So far happy with the moves that have been made but lots more tinkering to come I think.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Sometimes....#1 centers are waiver fodder....and not top 10 draft picks. See Chandler Stephenson.
Ok, he was #1 for a year or so for VGK. (with the Caps kept him!!) But, he's a helluva player. As BMR mentioned, Vilardi can become a #1 center. Look at the leap he took from last years first round playoffs, in which he was scratched, to the season he had, starting 4 months later. Quite a leap. If he just makes a few incremental forward steps, he may be a star. His skill is undeniable. It was always his health / back and foot speed...and somewhat defensive play. All 3 have been conqured. He will not win a lot of races, but has Kopitsar ever won a foot race??
That’s very wishful thinking to suggest that somehow transitioning Vilardi back into center will work. They tried a bit this season and then put him back on wing. Vilardi is the only hope since he’s by far the most talented forward

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
That’s very wishful thinking to suggest that somehow transitioning Vilardi back into center will work. They tried a bit this season and then put him back on wing. Vilardi is the only hope since he’s by far the most talented forward
Do you ever sleep Sol?

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
With him being rumored on the block before I wouldn't be surprised if Vilardi and/or Turcotte were the pieces to go in a big goalie trade.

And no I don't want that of course but there's been smoke for too long

Trading Vilardi would be a mistake and trading Turcotte wouldn't be enough unless Rob Blake fleeced someone

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Vilardi has never once exhibited the ability to be a #1 center in the NHL. He only salvaged his career by moving to wing. And he's great in that position. His lack of foot speed doesn't get exposed, and his ability to stickhandle under pressure and make plays out of nothing shines.

#11, 8, 32, 23 primes.

Summer 2021

Did not make playoffs.

Summer 2022

Lost in seven games in the first round.

Summer 2023

Lost in six games in the first round.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Fiala would have led the team in scoring, playing mostly with Lizotte? Are you kidding?
This might sound crazy, but I think people actually under-rate Fiala as an addition/player.

Not only is he an incredibly fun player to watch - But he's an absolutely excellent play driver.. Exactly what the Kings needed at the time they acquired him.

Virtually every single player that got ice time with Fiala saw a boost in production. He turned players like JAD, Lizotte, and Kupari into half-decent point producers.

That's witchcraft kinda stuff right there.

Super valuable to have a guy like that, who can drive play and produce offense regardless of who you put him with.

Last edited:

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
The only way that Kopitar gets traded is by bringing another # 1 center back. There were rumors and they still are being told that Matthews could very well wind up in LA involving a package deal with Kopitar going the other way. How true this is I don't know. Would it benefit the Kings. Depends on what is included in the package going the Leafs way.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
IIRC, Keith Tkachuk allowed himself to be traded by St. Louis as a way to help out the organization. The plan being that he would re-sign with the Blues the following Summer.

St. Louis traded him to Atlanta for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The Blues re-signed him as a UFA 4 months later.

If the Kings have a disastrous season and are out of the playoffs at the TDL, it would be nice if Kopitar could do the same.

It always annoyed me that the Kings didn't do this with Blake in 2008. Would have made me respect Rob a lot more, and would have made up for the drama surrounding his trade to the Avs IMO.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Vilardi's big thing was getting healthy and gaining confidence. Pretty sure they can use him at Center if needed. Besides, Kopitar has 1 year left on his contract and I would expect him to re-sign for another couple. Byfield is still only 20. How about we wait and see how the next couple years of development shake out before pulling the zip cord?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Vilardi's big thing was getting healthy and gaining confidence. Pretty sure they can use him at Center if needed. Besides, Kopitar has 1 year left on his contract and I would expect him to re-sign for another couple. Byfield is still only 20. How about we wait and see how the next couple years of development shake out before pulling the zip cord?

Depends on his conditioning...and skating, I think he's fine as a W....and thats where he makes his career.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad