OT: Visitors Guide to Texas

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
"If" I like Beer? Well, I am Canadian. Isnt that what we are known for? :sarcasm:

Thanks a ton for the suggestions, and I think I will take your advice and head straight towards the arena and eat around there.

I follow a Paleo diet, so a good steakhouse will be the ticket for me for sure. Do you recommend one near the Bishops Art District/ Trinity Groves area as you suggested?

Try Nick and Sams or Mortons. There both in Uptown about 1.5 miles from the AAC.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
if parking/time logistics becomes an issue, a mildly interesting touristy kind of place to check out that's walking distance to the aac is dick's last resort. food is classic american fare. their bit is that they treat you like crap, if you can take that sort of thing. it's amusing.... mildly.

the times i've been there, they didn't go far enough for my taste, though. they didn't commit to it 100%.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Try Nick and Sams or Mortons. There both in Uptown about 1.5 miles from the AAC.

Thanks for the suggestions ! Went to their websites and liked what I saw.

if parking/time logistics becomes an issue, a mildly interesting touristy kind of place to check out that's walking distance to the aac is dick's last resort. food is classic american fare. their bit is that they treat you like crap, if you can take that sort of thing. it's amusing.... mildly.

the times i've been there, they didn't go far enough for my taste, though. they didn't commit to it 100%.

I saw a television show about that chain of restaurants, and although it can surely be amusing with the right group of friends, I would be going there with one of my clients and I would prefer that he not see my bad side in case I take something the wrong way. Its bad for business. :laugh:

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
"If" I like Beer? Well, I am Canadian. Isnt that what we are known for? :sarcasm:

Thanks a ton for the suggestions, and I think I will take your advice and head straight towards the arena and eat around there.

I follow a Paleo diet, so a good steakhouse will be the ticket for me for sure. Do you recommend one near the Bishops Art District/ Trinity Groves area as you suggested?

If a steakhouse is your jam uptown is a better option than Bishops Arts/Trinity Groves. In addition to the Morton's and Nick and Sam's(excellent choice) I'd recommend The Place At Perry's or Perry's Steakhouse (two different restaurants)

Two other choices I like but aren't quite at the same level are Ser in the Hilton Anatole. It has in my opinion one of the best views of the city being on the 27th floor and prime view of the AAC. Food is good but very pricey. The other choice is Dakota's which is in downtown and has a really cool outdoor eating area smack dab in the middle of downtown but it might be cold.

Whatever you do DO NOT go to the Old Warsaw. It might be one of the worst restaurants in the city that is some how still in business. I don't know how it try to pass itself as a nice steakhouse.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
If a steakhouse is your jam uptown is a better option than Bishops Arts/Trinity Groves. In addition to the Morton's and Nick and Sam's(excellent choice) I'd recommend The Place At Perry's or Perry's Steakhouse (two different restaurants)

Two other choices I like but aren't quite at the same level are Ser in the Hilton Anatole. It has in my opinion one of the best views of the city being on the 27th floor and prime view of the AAC. Food is good but very pricey. The other choice is Dakota's which is in downtown and has a really cool outdoor eating area smack dab in the middle of downtown but it might be cold.

Whatever you do DO NOT go to the Old Warsaw. It might be one of the worst restaurants in the city that is some how still in business. I don't know how it try to pass itself as a nice steakhouse.

Great!! Avoid Old Warsaw, duly noted. I will look up Dakota's and Ser as well, and I really appreciate the suggestions.

Got my tickets ! will be seated in section 220, Row A. Looking forward to visiting the city and the AAC !!

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the great advice and hints !! I had a great time at the game (Stars won, so that helped), and I was incredibly impressed with the AAC.

Made it there in plenty of time to walk around a little and take in the sights.

Thanks again !! :cheers:

Fred Brathwaite

Aug 25, 2010
Bachelor Party - Dallas - 4/3

Hi All! Blues fan coming in peace. I'm planning a bachelor party for when the Blues come in town on 4/3 and am looking for suggestions on hotel locations. I saw a few posts about hotels that are close to the stadium.. but what about the bars?

I know Dallas is huge so there may not be a prime location.. but thought it couldn't hurt to ask for recommendations. I've only been to one other city (Nashville) for a Blues game but it was pretty easy to find bars since a lot of them were on Broadway.

Thanks in advance for your input! Looking forward to the trip and another great game vs the Stars! :yo:

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
Hi All! Blues fan coming in peace. I'm planning a bachelor party for when the Blues come in town on 4/3 and am looking for suggestions on hotel locations. I saw a few posts about hotels that are close to the stadium.. but what about the bars?

I know Dallas is huge so there may not be a prime location.. but thought it couldn't hurt to ask for recommendations. I've only been to one other city (Nashville) for a Blues game but it was pretty easy to find bars since a lot of them were on Broadway.

Thanks in advance for your input! Looking forward to the trip and another great game vs the Stars! :yo:

if you want to be near a lot of bars, there are plenty in Uptown along McKinney Ave. The Standard Pour, The Rustic, The Gingerman just to name a few, Yelp is your friend. My favorite is the Meddlesome Moth in the Design District. Katy Trail Ice House Ice is a fun casual place was well.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah, sounds like you want a hotel near McKinney. Unfortunately most of the places around there are quite high priced. (Ritz, ZaZa, Stoneleigh, etc)

Fred Brathwaite

Aug 25, 2010
if you want to be near a lot of bars, there are plenty in Uptown along McKinney Ave. The Standard Pour, The Rustic, The Gingerman just to name a few, Yelp is your friend. My favorite is the Meddlesome Moth in the Design District. Katy Trail Ice House Ice is a fun casual place was well.

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, IHG doesn't have hotels along McKinney.. I guess we will have to Uber it over there.

How is elm street? I attached a map with potential IHG hotel locations.

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
I know it's a little far on the other side of the metropmetroplex but I went to the Woodshed in Fort Worth and thought it was pretty freaking killer.

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, IHG doesn't have hotels along McKinney.. I guess we will have to Uber it over there.

How is elm street? I attached a map with potential IHG hotel locations.

There are some bars there but your best bet will probably be along McKinney Ave.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I'll be coming down for the game on Monday night and had a few questions about a few things.

My seats are in section C231. What exactly are the benefits of having a club seat? I see a bunch of stuff online but nothing really is clear.

How is the neighborhood around the stadium? My hotel is like three miles away and it might just be easier for me to walk back to the hotel if possible.

Im staying in Arlington, anywhere in Dallas or Arlington that you would recommend for food?

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
I'll be coming down for the game on Monday night and had a few questions about a few things.

My seats are in section C231. What exactly are the benefits of having a club seat? I see a bunch of stuff online but nothing really is clear.

How is the neighborhood around the stadium? My hotel is like three miles away and it might just be easier for me to walk back to the hotel if possible.

Im staying in Arlington, anywhere in Dallas or Arlington that you would recommend for food?

Your avatar is throwing me off...are you talking about AT&T Stadium or the AAC?

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson

Just take an Uber or a taxi or something.

Surely the Cowboys have some type of shuttle system going on with whatever hotel you're staying at.

That would be a nightmare to walk to AT&T from any place around there.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Getting there won't be a problem with uber or a taxi, but I'm just just not sure how I'll get one after the game. I imagine that will be a near impossibility. Anyone ever get a taxi after a game there?

Thanks for the help guys, btw.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
I'm new to Dallas and have been to 2 games so far since I moved down here (a playoff game last year and the LA game a few months ago) and in both instance, I've sat lower level and have a great time...

Has anyone sat in the flagship suites at AA? I've been to a lot of hockey games in my life but I've yet to sit in a suite before. As I understand it food/booz is not provided. What are the advantages of sitting in the suites? How disconnected from the rest of the stadium (aka do you miss out on the environment of AA?). Generally speaking, I think the first row of the club level is the best seat in the house. Would I be better off going up there?

Sorry lots of questions, thanks in advance for any information!

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
Heading there next week for the Pens / Hawks games... any tips on things to do around Dallas on the Friday and Saturday morning ? We'll be driving up Thursday, and back Sunday. Are there are nice hiking areas outside of Dallas- all this crappy weather lately has me wanting to get out and do something and the weather looks pretty decent

Sheehan555

Some Kid from Boston
Sep 22, 2012
Tewksbury, MA
Need Some Help with Gear!

First things first, I'm from Boston and I'm a Bruins fan.

BUT, I'm a big Alex Goligoski fan as well and am looking all over for a simple #33 T-Shirt Jersey and can't find them anywhere.

Can anybody on here give me a good place to order from? Maybe something local in Dallas that I may not know about?!

Thanks for any and all help!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad