OT: Visitors Guide to Texas

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I've never seen a first row ticket available at the AAC. It's a bucket list thing for me as well, and I don't look every game, but I've looked quite often and they're never available during the season. I would say call the ticket off as soon as possible and check with them.

It's definitely a hefty price but obviously not as much as somewhere else.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Look for some insight- I went to a Stars - Blues game a few years ago so I have a little familiarity with the area.

I'm looking to bring my wife to a couple games this year (6 hour drive each way for us- both love hockey)- we're looking at going in late March when the Pens and the Blackhawks come to town. I'd like to get tickets on the glass for one night (a bucket list type thing for both of us)- is the first row in the plaza row a (dumb question but just want to be sure). Also, what is the likelihood of these tickets becoming available, and how much of a 2nd mortgage would I need to take out to get two?

Because the seats are specific to the first row, I'd call 214-Go-Stars to actually talk with someone. My wife and I had glass seats to a Stars vs Preds game a few years ago. You get a much better view about 15 rows up or in Platinum.

But if it's a bucket list thing, I understand. We spent around $250, but that was when the team was BAD.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Prices for glass seats seem to have gone up quite a but this year, and are apparently called celebrity seating I thing 400 something vs bad teams like around 600 vs teams like Chicago. The prices are on the official website along with a schedule showing which games are value, standard and premiums

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
I've never seen a first row ticket available at the AAC. It's a bucket list thing for me as well, and I don't look every game, but I've looked quite often and they're never available during the season. I would say call the ticket off as soon as possible and check with them.

It's definitely a hefty price but obviously not as much as somewhere else.

Because the seats are specific to the first row, I'd call 214-Go-Stars to actually talk with someone. My wife and I had glass seats to a Stars vs Preds game a few years ago. You get a much better view about 15 rows up or in Platinum.

But if it's a bucket list thing, I understand. We spent around $250, but that was when the team was BAD.

Prices for glass seats seem to have gone up quite a but this year, and are apparently called celebrity seating I thing 400 something vs bad teams like around 600 vs teams like Chicago. The prices are on the official website along with a schedule showing which games are value, standard and premiums

Thanks for the advice- I was looking on stub hub, but will call the ticket office to see.

Agree on watching from further up for seeing the game- but being that close to the ice is just something I have to do at the NHL level at least once.

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
Booked my hotel room at the Hyatt House

K2bui0G.gif

Primetimey*

Seriously considering going to the home opener this year, will be fairly hefty price for a flight, ticket, and hotel.. but worth it I think :)

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
Maybe a stupid question, but I just moved down to Dallas a few months ago...

How is it finding tickets to stars games? I'm probably looking to go to 5-7 games this year and I usually like to get decent seats (goal line to goal line lower level/club level) when I go to games. I know they offer 10 game packages but I work in aviation and have a weird schedule (shift work AMs/PMs/Overnight) and I know I won't be able to work all 10 games into my schedule. Would I be able to unload the games I can't make with out taking a loss on the tickets? Would I be better off buying from scalpers/online the day of?

EDIT: Probably should have put this in the "Visitors' Guide" thread, my bad...Mods, feel free to move this if you like.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Maybe a stupid question, but I just moved down to Dallas a few months ago...

How is it finding tickets to stars games? I'm probably looking to go to 5-7 games this year and I usually like to get decent seats (goal line to goal line lower level/club level) when I go to games. I know they offer 10 game packages but I work in aviation and have a weird schedule (shift work AMs/PMs/Overnight) and I know I won't be able to work all 10 games into my schedule. Would I be able to unload the games I can't make with out taking a loss on the tickets? Would I be better off buying from scalpers/online the day of?

EDIT: Probably should have put this in the "Visitors' Guide" thread, my bad...Mods, feel free to move this if you like.

If you can find a good package of 10 games for the seats you want I would do that. Sell the tickets to the games you know you won't be able to go to and recoup some of the cash you already paid. The games will be in higher demand now that the team has some buzz around it. It's possible that the tickets you sell will cover some of the cost of the games you actually end up going to.

I really wanted to go to the game where we clinched the playoffs against St. Louis and I'm pretty sure I ended up paying a little less than double face value of the tickets I bought because the game was sold out/near sold out. There are other suckers like me out there.

Primetimey*

Plus the ten game plans are discounted compared to buying individual seats. 8 Games at individual prices is probably similar to 10 game plan in total cost.

And you can sell your unused games a little under face value, not take a loss, and move them faster.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Plus the ten game plans are discounted compared to buying individual seats. 8 Games at individual prices is probably similar to 10 game plan in total cost.

And you can sell your unused games a little under face value, not take a loss, and move them faster.

The lower cost is the main reason for getting the 10 game plan and I forgot to mention that. :laugh:

I really doubt you'd need to sell them under face value unless they're against a team like the Preds or Panthers. Even then he can probably get back at least full value.

Aliceanna

Tom Wilson - Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 12, 2011
ATL
Hello, Stars fans! I'm planning to head your way this season for a game with a friend who's never been to Texas before. I have lived in Houston, have family in San Antonio, and have visited both Dallas & Austin several times. I adore your state and am trying to create the most jam-packed 4 day itinerary possible, filled to the gills with hockey/amazing food/music/exquisite Texas-ness for her to enjoy.

We're in broad-strokes stages of planning, now, to help us budget time & money. We're thinking early or mid-week, sometime in Feb or March. She really wants to see the Calder Cup champs (plus why not go to Austin?), so we'll have to be in Dallas likely after a weekend game in Cedar Park, or maybe before. We'll fly into one city, rent a car & drive to the other, then fly home.

I'd like to go to a practice, but I'm not sure that will work out. Do they usually do a full practice the mornings after games (assuming a standard every-other-day game schedule and just a skate on game days)? That's generally how our team works (the Caps--we're not looking to see the Caps play down there, though. We want to root for the Stars in your barn).

I've read this whole thread and got a fairly good idea of places to stay/check out/general info. However, I'm curious how much the higher profile and excitement about the team is changing things. Obviously, the season has yet to begin, but will games be selling out with regularity, do you think? What are the ticket prices like (the only things on sale so far are exorbitant, but have you heard if ticket prices are going up? What is standard for upper level? Is there some part of the upper level we should avoid?). The Caps are always sold out, but secondary market tickets are easy to find & affordable (around face value, usually). Is the same true of the Stars' secondary market?

As we get closer to the trip, I'll bug y'all for food/bar recs, but for the time being, tickets/practice schedules are most important (though, any helpful info about seeing the Texas Stars would be good, too!). Thanks, y'all! I'm so excited to introduce my friend to Texas & to see the Stars play!

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Is there some part of the upper level we should avoid?). The Caps are always sold out, but secondary market tickets are easy to find & affordable (around face value, usually). Is the same true of the Stars' secondary market?

I don't think there are any "bad" seats at AAC, but my preference is offensive zone corners. I'm going off memory here but I've sat in 315 a few times and that is my favorite view.

Stubhub and such usually have reasonably priced tickets. Obviously, if you wait too long chances are good demand will go up this season unless the team has a terrible year. There is more buzz about the team now than in a long time so expect prices to stay up or rise by mid-season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Just staying in Dallas, or is all of Texas an option?

Primetimey*

Guys, who wants to help me plan my trip? I am seriously considering going for the home opener. I will fly in Thursday Oct. 9th, go to the game, sleep (WHERE), then fly home the next day.

What is the cheapest/most feasible option.

1) Take a taxi from DFW to the hotel and walk to game/walk around area/etc. What hotel is good for this option?

2) Rent a car (is it possible, I'm 23) and stay at a cheaper hotel further away from AAC but park at the game.

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
here is another option for you:

Starting August 18, you will be able to take the Orange line from DFW (Terminal A) to the AAC (Victory Station). Right now, a day pass is just $5.00 for the entire rail system.

Find out what what's affordable to you and rent a hotel room along the DART rail system. Check out the hotels listed in Dart Travel Agent

here

With the money you save in transit costs, I'd recommend getting a room at the W Hotel, it's right across from the AAC.

Last edited:

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Oh yeah, the orange line is going to be huge, especially for visitors. It's such a simple concept, hard to believe it took this long to connect mass transit to the airport (no, taking a bus to Centreport or whatever doesn't count). Still think the W might be a tad pricy even factoring in savings but you can't beat the convenience. The Marriott SpringHill in the West End across from the Aquarium might be another option.

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
Oh yeah, the orange line is going to be huge, especially for visitors. It's such a simple concept, hard to believe it took this long to connect mass transit to the airport (no, taking a bus to Centreport or whatever doesn't count). Still think the W might be a tad pricy even factoring in savings but you can't beat the convenience. The Marriott SpringHill in the West End across from the Aquarium might be another option.

The Marriott SpringHill is an excellent option. Short walk to AAC, short walk to the Arts District and Klyde Warren Park.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Oh yeah, the orange line is going to be huge, especially for visitors. It's such a simple concept, hard to believe it took this long to connect mass transit to the airport (no, taking a bus to Centreport or whatever doesn't count).

Every city should have a train option from the airport to city center/downtown. I'm glad it's finally happening for Dallas.

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
Guys, who wants to help me plan my trip? I am seriously considering going for the home opener. I will fly in Thursday Oct. 9th, go to the game, sleep (WHERE), then fly home the next day.

What is the cheapest/most feasible option.

1) Take a taxi from DFW to the hotel and walk to game/walk around area/etc. What hotel is good for this option?

2) Rent a car (is it possible, I'm 23) and stay at a cheaper hotel further away from AAC but park at the game.

I've been playing with Google and found this.

It seems Hyatt House in Uptown is the cheapest option and fairly close to the AAC.

TheDoug

Jul 7, 2014
Louisiana
I've been playing with Google and found this.

It seems Hyatt House in Uptown is the cheapest option and fairly close to the AAC.

I've stayed at the Hyatt House before for a game, and will be doing so again this year. Would definitely recommend- nice place, pretty good price, and easy walking distance

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
After taking my first Uber, I will now completely suggest that from now on for those who don't want to rent a car.

Yep. Dallas is covered pretty good with Uber. I highly recommend Lyft. It's the same concept as Uber, but cheaper. My wife and I use it around downtown whenever we go out.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I was originally going to drive down from OK for the opener like usual but my parents have decided to come down from WA and have a whole family trip to Dallas that week. I've never stayed overnight in Dallas so I'd really like some advice for hotels and things to do in the city. We'll be in town from the afternoon of Oct 8th until the evening of the 12th. We're going to the Stars game on the 9th and Cedar Park on the 11th but otherwise don't have any specific plans. My parents have never been to Dallas so any touristy suggestions would be great. Also looking for some restaurant recs since we love barbecue. We'll have my car so transportation isn't an issue for anything

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
I was originally going to drive down from OK for the opener like usual but my parents have decided to come down from WA and have a whole family trip to Dallas that week. I've never stayed overnight in Dallas so I'd really like some advice for hotels and things to do in the city. We'll be in town from the afternoon of Oct 8th until the evening of the 12th. We're going to the Stars game on the 9th and Cedar Park on the 11th but otherwise don't have any specific plans. My parents have never been to Dallas so any touristy suggestions would be great. Also looking for some restaurant recs since we love barbecue. We'll have my car so transportation isn't an issue for anything

Check out my google link in post 344, it shows most the hotels around the AAC.

BBQ suggestions: I like Lockhart in Bishop Arts, Slow Bone on the edge of the Design District, Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum and 3 Stacks in Frisco.

Touristy suggestions: Top of Reunion Tower, Klyde Warren Park, The Arts District, The World Aquarium, Perot Museum of Nature and Science, Dealey Plaza. Continental Bridge Park, then get a meal at a restaurant in nearby Trinity Groves, maybe tour the brewery there and since you'll be in that area, go to Bishop Arts.
On some days take the drive north up the Dallas North Tollway (but not during rush hour!)to Frisco and see the Stars practice at the Dr Pepper Stars Center and get some autographs. Close by is Stonebriar Mall and there plenty of places to eat around there and nearby Shops at Legacy. On the way back stop by the Galleria or North Park Mall and shop till you drop. And the State Fair will be going on when you'll be here so you have to try that one day. If your appetite isn't ruined from eating all that fried food, go to nearby Deep Ellum and get a meal there.

Those are some things. If you post where you'll be staying a couple of weeks before you get here, I might have some more ideas.

Last edited:

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Check out my google link in post 344, it shows most the hotels around the AAC.

BBQ suggestions: I like Lockhart, Slow Bone and Pecan Lodge.

Touristy suggestions: Top of Reunion Tower, Klyde Warren Park, The Arts District, The World Aquarium, Dealey Plaza. Continental Bridge Park, then get a meal at a restaurant in nearby Trinity Groves, maybe tour the brewery there and since you'll be in that area, go to Bishop Arts.
On some days take the drive north up the Dallas North Tollway (but not during rush hour!)to Frisco and see the Stars practice at the Dr Pepper Stars Center and get some autographs. Close by is Stonebriar Mall and there plenty of places to eat around there and nearby Shops at Legacy. On the way back stop by the Galleria or North Park Mall and shop till you drop. And the State Fair will be going on when you'll be here so you have to try that one day. If your appetite isn't ruined from eating all that fried food, go to nearby Deep Ellum and get a meal there.

Those are some things. If you post where you'll be staying a couple of weeks before you get here, I might have some more ideas.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm pretty clueless about Dallas outside of hockey so it's a big help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad