Visiting Minnesota? Everything you need to know here!

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Do you want a place that will have good hockey programs as well (for your kids and such)?

I know there are people around the country that have moved to MN for that reason alone, so it's not an outrageous thing to look to ask about if you're looking into that or not.

Personally, I've been on the East Side of St. Paul my whole life, and the hockey program here is in its last stages - in its terminal stages at this point.

Cities (suburbs, more specifically) I am looking to move to when I finally get away from this God forsaken area, are somewhat limited to:

South St. Paul - legendary hockey program, nice, small-city feel super close to the "big city" - they've had I believe three SSP products in the NHL within the last year or two - it's a total win for a guy like me who was raised on the East Side and want my kids to grow up in an area that is low crime, clean somewhat, and has a great hockey program for my kids.

Stillwater/Bayport - just a perfect area all around. Just far enough yet close enough to live the night life/pro sports of the big cities.

Forest Lake - farther away, but super nice area.

Woodbury/Lake Elmo/Lakeland - super area all around, their hockey program is growing as well.

White Bear Lake - very similar in many regards to my above-stated about SSP. Actually might be where I move to eventually...

Honorable mention: Eagan, Maple Grove, Anoka or Elk River. All fantastic areas with legendary youth hockey programs.

Hmm, fair enough! I hadn't thought too hard about this aspect yet, though partially because I figured it's possible I might have moved by the time my first kid would be starting(I assume at least six or so years from now?), and high school is even further down the road; who knows how different demographics will have shifted in 14 years!

Still, good stuff to have back-burner thoughts on. I'd heard Eastside St. Paul was on a major downturn, so I'd mostly avoided looking in that area. Hell, even the areas immediately around Lakes Phalen and Como seem to be becoming islands of relative affluence surrounded by blight.

Any thoughts on West St. Paul (including the part of St. Paul proper which is right across the river)? This area looked to have a lot of what I'm looking for in general if I get the job in St. Paul, but I've never physically been there, so I don't know what things are like on the ground. I'd only briefly looked at South St. Paul, though I was under the impression they were sort of looking at a downturn, as well (including in hockey). Of course I could always be wrong.

Stillwater seems like a great area with a lot of what I'd want, but it's also juuuuuust on the edge of what I'd consider "commuting range" for the St. Paul gig, and way too damn far if I end up working in Prior Lake, especially once it's wintertime. I'll definitely keep it in mind, though.

Slick Willy*

Hmm, fair enough! I hadn't thought too hard about this aspect yet, though partially because I figured it's possible I might have moved by the time my first kid would be starting(I assume at least six or so years from now?), and high school is even further down the road; who knows how different demographics will have shifted in 14 years!

Still, good stuff to have back-burner thoughts on. I'd heard Eastside St. Paul was on a major downturn, so I'd mostly avoided looking in that area. Hell, even the areas immediately around Lakes Phalen and Como seem to be becoming islands of relative affluence surrounded by blight.

Any thoughts on West St. Paul (including the part of St. Paul proper which is right across the river)? This area looked to have a lot of what I'm looking for in general if I get the job in St. Paul, but I've never physically been there, so I don't know what things are like on the ground. I'd only briefly looked at South St. Paul, though I was under the impression they were sort of looking at a downturn, as well (including in hockey). Of course I could always be wrong.

Stillwater seems like a great area with a lot of what I'd want, but it's also juuuuuust on the edge of what I'd consider "commuting range" for the St. Paul gig, and way too damn far if I end up working in Prior Lake, especially once it's wintertime. I'll definitely keep it in mind, though.

I'd shoot for a little more south of WSP, Mendota and Inver Grove Heights in particular, super nice areas approaching the aforementioned Eagan. Cottage Grove is another high on my list I forgot about - lovely little suburb (along with Hastings, Hastings has had a great hockey program for years and it's a gorgeous little suburb but starting to get to "comute" range for sure).

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I'd shoot for a little more south of WSP, Mendota and Inver Grove Heights in particular, super nice areas approaching the aforementioned Eagan. Cottage Grove is another high on my list I forgot about - lovely little suburb (along with Hastings, Hastings has had a great hockey program for years and it's a gorgeous little suburb but starting to get to "comute" range for sure).

Thing is, I really don't like suburbs, at least in terms of a bunch of houses that all pretty much look the same, built in the last 20 years, where they obviously chopped down all the trees to slap them down where they are. Cottage Grove kinda strikes me as one of those. Hastings seems a lot closer to what I'd prefer but it is definitely getting a bit far away at that distance.

Apex96

Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
Naturally after you mention Chaska being great, some guy gets snuffed at a McDonalds there :amazed:

Anyway, I've heard good things about S/SW areas of course, though I reiterate that I really don't like McMansion-ey subdivisions. Wherever we end up, I'd definitely prefer an older neighborhood with mature trees and all that, and I'm not sure how much of that exists down there.

As far as living near Wild players, I don't give two ***** about that, and all things considered, it's probably better that I don't :laugh:

Chaska has a great downtown area along with Carver and some other small cities in this area that are near the cookie cutter houses, but nothing like them.

For Hockey Programs the south and southwest metro area have been dominating in the High school standings in the past few years.

It really just depends on your needs. If you're looking for a good school district, I'd choose any southwestern suburb. If you're looking to be away from cookie cutter homes look more closer to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Chaska has a great downtown area along with Carver and some other small cities in this area that are near the cookie cutter houses, but nothing like them.

For Hockey Programs the south and southwest metro area have been dominating in the High school standings in the past few years.

It really just depends on your needs. If you're looking for a good school district, I'd choose any southwestern suburb. If you're looking to be away from cookie cutter homes look more closer to Minneapolis/St. Paul.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Chaska (maybe Shakopee? Thoughts there?) if I get the Prior Lake gig. As far as schools, I (knock on wood) shouldn't have to worry *as much* about that since I'll ideally be working for a (good) school and be able to get my kids enrolled there if need be. The youth hockey program angle is definitely worth considering though because I guess it would help not having to drive them 30 miles away to go to practices. On the other hand, I get the impression that somewhere like Edina or Eden Prairie is already crazy with the "keep up with the Joneses" crap by age 7... I mean I'm sure you get that everywhere, but it feels like it's worse there, for some reason.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
i was more so making the notion of the keeping up with the Jones' stuff. Edina and EP are going to be top offenders of that, but mostly all of the suburbs will have it to some extent. Woodbury in certain parts will, Eagan for sure does and I am in the heart of it (technically Inver Grove, but Eagan is literally on my border).

But I just try to keep it at the level of having nice grass, lol. Don't care about vehicles, pool, etc.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
i was more so making the notion of the keeping up with the Jones' stuff. Edina and EP are going to be top offenders of that, but mostly all of the suburbs will have it to some extent. Woodbury in certain parts will, Eagan for sure does and I am in the heart of it (technically Inver Grove, but Eagan is literally on my border).

But I just try to keep it at the level of having nice grass, lol. Don't care about vehicles, pool, etc.

Ah, okay. Don't get me wrong, there are some ways in which it can be good. I mean if it encourages you to paint your damn fence and not throw your trash out the front door, I see no problem with it ;) But when it comes to unnecessary spending and so on...

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
oh yeah, absolutely, I am all for keeping up the aesthetics of the neighborhood and take pride in making sure my lawn and house are all in order. Helps with the value of the house and the neighborhood too. We lucked out on this house unlike our old house, where we bought foreclosed and it was on the low end, now houses are selling for over 100K+ what we paid, so it is nice to see us benefit. But our neighbors just added a pool and stuff to their yard and are always up on the top of the line stuff. I don't need that nonsense.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
oh yeah, absolutely, I am all for keeping up the aesthetics of the neighborhood and take pride in making sure my lawn and house are all in order. Helps with the value of the house and the neighborhood too. We lucked out on this house unlike our old house, where we bought foreclosed and it was on the low end, now houses are selling for over 100K+ what we paid, so it is nice to see us benefit. But our neighbors just added a pool and stuff to their yard and are always up on the top of the line stuff. I don't need that nonsense.

I never understood why anyone needs their own damn pool, to be honest. Right now I live in an apartment complex that has one, and I use it occasionally, but not nearly enough that I would want to be the one taking care of the thing.

Anyway. Back "on topic" (sort of), is anyone familiar with the West 7th area of St. Paul? A few people have recommended it to me, but I can't quite get a good feel on whether it's one of those places on its way up, or on the way down, if you know what I mean.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
What do you want to know about it?

Basically, is moving there a good idea ;) Is it an area "on the way up", or is it kind of sinking down? Young families? Or old people holding down the fort until the bank sells their houses to developers to turn in to "the projects"? That kind of stuff. Sounds like the east-end area near-ish to Phalen has really declined in the last 15 years, so one of the things I'm wary about is making a big (for me) investment in an area only to see it fall to **** because the area was declining already.

Slick Willy*

Basically, is moving there a good idea ;) Is it an area "on the way up", or is it kind of sinking down? Young families? Or old people holding down the fort until the bank sells their houses to developers to turn in to "the projects"? That kind of stuff. Sounds like the east-end area near-ish to Phalen has really declined in the last 15 years, so one of the things I'm wary about is making a big (for me) investment in an area only to see it fall to **** because the area was declining already.

I think there's a Trader Joes over there just across the freeway...I don't know, the area seems okay, and it's not far from Summit area which is still decent.

I can't comment beyond that though. Very close to the X though that's for sure

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
I am from Ontario, planning to head south of the border to Minnesota, to see 2 games in October... How is the best way to obtain tickets?

Right now pre-ordering tickets is really expensive

How do I set up an email notification for when single game tickets go on sale?

Thanks for any input

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
yeah pre-ordering is a joke. Your best bet is to use ticket exchange, stub hub, or even craigslist. I have had luck on getting tickets on Ebay.

There are tons of scalpers too, so that could be an option if you don't mind that. October tickets are usually close to face value (in general) because of the season being in the infant stages.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
This is a lot riskier, but you could also show up in St. Paul and try and grab tickets on the StubHub app. If you don't mind missing the anthems, you can sometimes get digital tickets for super cheap. But yeah, that early in the season it's a lot less likely since people are still pumped hockey has started. But even so, you should at least be able to get tickets on there closer to the event, even if they're regular retail price.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I am from Ontario, planning to head south of the border to Minnesota, to see 2 games in October... How is the best way to obtain tickets?

Right now pre-ordering tickets is really expensive

How do I set up an email notification for when single game tickets go on sale?

Thanks for any input

Is one the Leafs....because those are going to be $$$$$ but still cheaper than seeing them in Toronto. :laugh: Vikes are on a bye week when the Jets are down here, so probably less Jets fans will travel, otherwise that's a harder get too since they usually come in for the weekend on Wild-Jets/Vikings days.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Planning a trip to come down in Nov for the Viks/Lions game. Staying by the MOA on Friday night and then moving to downtown for SAT/SUN night. Seems hotel prices have shot up about 140$ dollars a night since my last trip. Is this due to the excitement for the new stadium? Any recommendations on if I should stay downtown or just around the MOA area? Last time I came I was with the GF so we just shopped around and took it easy, this time I am going with a friend who likes to go out and socialize. I would think downtown would be best for that?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Planning a trip to come down in Nov for the Viks/Lions game. Staying by the MOA on Friday night and then moving to downtown for SAT/SUN night. Seems hotel prices have shot up about 140$ dollars a night since my last trip. Is this due to the excitement for the new stadium? Any recommendations on if I should stay downtown or just around the MOA area? Last time I came I was with the GF so we just shopped around and took it easy, this time I am going with a friend who likes to go out and socialize. I would think downtown would be best for that?

Realistically, you could stay anywhere near a LRT stop and get to almost anywhere you'd want to go relatively quickly and painlessly. There's really no need to stay right next to any of the big sights unless you absolutely want to, for some reason ;)

The only hotel I've stayed at around here is the Days Inn in St. Paul Midway, which is NOW right on the Green Line, so you could get to downtown Minneapolis (St. Paul, too) really easily, and if you wanted to go to MOA too, the switch to the Blue Line is right in front of the stadium. Beats the hell out of driving around the cities, which can be terrible.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Realistically, you could stay anywhere near a LRT stop and get to almost anywhere you'd want to go relatively quickly and painlessly. There's really no need to stay right next to any of the big sights unless you absolutely want to, for some reason ;)

The only hotel I've stayed at around here is the Days Inn in St. Paul Midway, which is NOW right on the Green Line, so you could get to downtown Minneapolis (St. Paul, too) really easily, and if you wanted to go to MOA too, the switch to the Blue Line is right in front of the stadium. Beats the hell out of driving around the cities, which can be terrible.

Thanks for the info. That's kind of why we are focusing on downtown for SAT/SUN so we don't have to drive or take to much transportation downtown and can just walk almost everywhere. Or is there a better area for nightlife and restaurants ?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Thanks for the info. That's kind of why we are focusing on downtown for SAT/SUN so we don't have to drive or take to much transportation downtown and can just walk almost everywhere. Or is there a better area for nightlife and restaurants ?

Oh, I dunno. Depends what you're looking for, I guess. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but I'd rather pay $80 (and have extra booze money) for a hotel 10 minutes away from downtown by train than $200 at the Hilton or whatever. You can still walk everywhere once you get downtown ;)

Apex96

Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
Tickets?

Okay, this may be a little off-topic but I couldn't a better thread to post it in...

My friend and I want to go to the New Years Eve game and don´t want to pay outrageous prices (Upper levels for like $40-60) would I be better off waiting 10 minutes before puck drop or is that price unrealistic? Prices on StubHub are at $120 right now per ticket.

Last year my dad and I scored tickets for $40 a piece during the playoff 3 rows up next to the penalty box but the wild were not doing so hot then.

Delperdangles

Feb 4, 2017
First time attending Wild game

I know this is kind of random for a message board but I am taking my 6 year old son to the Wild-Blackhawks game this Wednesday, Feb 8th. He likes the Blackhawks (no idea why, :/) and I'm wondering if anyone could give any insight on if there is a way to stand in a hallway to watch the players go by or meet the players after the game. I'm assuming he'd want to meet the Blackhawks but it would be cool for him just to see any of the players on either team. He's obsessed with hockey and we are from Nebraska so this would be really big deal to him. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks guys! Btw, my prediction for the game would be Wild 4 - Hawks 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad