Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Thank you guys so much! Your advice is greatly appreciated... Google Maps can give me directions/estimated traffic time all they want, but nothing beats asking people that actually live there and drive these roads on a daily basis. Here's hoping I'll have the time to go to the game and visit another NHL arena for the first time ever.

For a 7:30 start, I wuld leave at like 5:30-5:45 from Culver City
Two hours... my goodness! How do you do this on a daily basis?!

Most of the times I prefer surface streets and they're usually faster. For me at least.
That's what I was thinking, honestly... I don't know if I want to deal with the madness of the freeways.

You can also take the expo line (light rail) but that would probably only work if you are returning to Culver City.
I thought about that... I'll definitely consider it.

scryan

May 1, 2013

There is really only one way from Culver City. It is the 10 and that stretch is literally the nation's busiest freeway. you could also take La Brea most of the way if the 10 has a major accident
It should take you about a half hour. I would allow at least an hour to be safe.
He factored in extra time there to be safe, to sort out parking, and stil be there early to check out LA live and what not.

Though that last game against the Hurricane on friday my brother was coming up the 101... Apparently he was 20 miles away, and left at 5:40 for the 7:30 game... and we didn't get into out seats until like half way though the fist :(

I took the 60 to the 10 from City of Industry, also 20 miles... Was like 40 minutes to parked.

Keep in mind all the lots are random 3rd party lots scattered around Staples... So if your not just grabbing the first reasonable one you see it can be some extra driving around downtown, which does suck... And then it will be a little walk.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
I'm so mad we played you guys a week ago and not next week! That would've been DESTINY pretty much.

But yeah... parking. I forgot about that. You're saying there's no official lots? They're all the ones that charge like $30 or something? :(

scryan

May 1, 2013
I'm so mad we played you guys a week ago and not next week! That would've been DESTINY pretty much.

But yeah... parking. I forgot about that. You're saying there's no official lots? They're all the ones that charge like $30 or something? :(

Last time I was there (When did we play the canes? Was that last friday?) $15 dollars - $30

I guess there may be an official lot. RIGHT up in front of staple center there is a parking garage... or underground parking garage... Was $30 to park there.

I've seen $10 lots too... but I don't go to a ton of games, and there were none last time.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
It was indeed last Friday... Quickie shut us out. :(

$30 is pretty crazy... but how often am I out that way (only my second time ever)? If I get the chance to go to the game and that's what I have to pay for parking, so be it. Besides... if Sports Jeopardy makes me rich, it'll be chump change. :laugh:

scryan

May 1, 2013
It was indeed last Friday... Quickie shut us out. :(

$30 is pretty crazy... but how often am I out that way (only my second time ever)? If I get the chance to go to the game and that's what I have to pay for parking, so be it. Besides... if Sports Jeopardy makes me rich, it'll be chump change. :laugh:

Thats right he did. That was ****ing awesome.

You should be able to find $15 parking at least, especially if your there a little early. Lots of guys in the street holding signs with price tags waving you on. If you come off the freeway too close to the stadium and only see $30, just turn off a bit... Plenty of $20 lots, depending on if your counting each dollar maybe look for one of those and just say **** it and grab the fist you see. If your gonna pay $30, and aren't showing up late... Follow your GPS all the way up to the stadium and grab one of the spots right there. My brother last time was late where lots was filling up, and payed $25 with a little walk... Might as well have thrown in that last $5....

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Yeah, and as the area continues to develop, more and more of those parking lots are getting built on. We're losing two parking lots where I work (near the Garment District) and my favorite lot for Staples was recently sold to developers as well. So prices will probably continue to climb as options dwindle....

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Thank you guys so much! Your advice is greatly appreciated... Google Maps can give me directions/estimated traffic time all they want, but nothing beats asking people that actually live there and drive these roads on a daily basis. Here's hoping I'll have the time to go to the game and visit another NHL arena for the first time ever.

That's what I was thinking, honestly... I don't know if I want to deal with the madness of the freeways.

Yeah, the time frame is peak rush hour, so the driving time alone for about 10 miles on the 10 freeway can be about an hour. After the game, figure about a half hour to get home.

Yeah, and as the area continues to develop, more and more of those parking lots are getting built on. We're losing two parking lots where I work (near the Garment District) and my favorite lot for Staples was recently sold to developers as well. So prices will probably continue to climb as options dwindle....

I was working in DTLA up until 3 years ago. It changed drastically while I was there but it's changed even more since. So many empty lots are now buildings. Last time I went to a game, I got lucky and pulled up to a meter right as someone was leaving. They even had money in it until 8pm!

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
So I drove around this morning and honestly it wasn't too bad at all (probably because of the favorable time of day). I now have another del Rey that I like as Marina del Rey was really really nice. I wanted to find a spot to see the Pacific just so I could say I did it, and that's where I ended up. Had a lovely walk! Also, In-n-Out is all that you guys hype it up to be... very good stuff.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
So I drove around this morning and honestly it wasn't too bad at all (probably because of the favorable time of day). I now have another del Rey that I like as Marina del Rey was really really nice. I wanted to find a spot to see the Pacific just so I could say I did it, and that's where I ended up. Had a lovely walk! Also, In-n-Out is all that you guys hype it up to be... very good stuff.
Check out Manhattan Beach if you haven't already. It's incredible beautiful, everybody is super friendly and it's where the majority of the Kings live. You regularly pass them on the streets and see them eating in the local restaurants. It's pretty cool. I've also seen them eating with players on the other team on occasion.

Captain Mittens*

S Also, In-n-Out is all that you guys hype it up to be... very good stuff.

god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
You've also got to order off the secret menu at In-n-Out. A double double animal style with chopped chilis is the way to fly.

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX
Hey guys, doing the entire bruins west coast trip in March and looking for advice how when and how to go to the game on 3/19. I will be coming from Anaheim before. I have some questions and figured you would be the most helpful.

1.Should I leave right from the game in Anaheim and drive to the LA area the night before.
2. Where is a good place to stay that isn't crazy expensive, but close enough to staples center where getting there wouldn't be a traffic nightmare ? Should I stay outside the city ?
3. Any areas to avoid as far as safety is concerned
4. Whats the parking situation ? (garages,lots, etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
1 nope Stay south if you already have a room and come up the next day. No reason to get lost late on a Friday night. I don't know what you would like to pay so no hotel suggestion edit: check trip advisor
Some hotels near Staple near 100 a night. I have never been to any of them so research them. You could then Uber to the game and save on parking (maybe)

2 don't worry about traffic too much. Just plan to get there early. There are places to eat and drink before the game. Getting there early 530 ish should be just about right.

3 near Staple as long as you don't go past a freeway you should be ok
The areas beyond the freeways get a little iffy.

4 parking is ok $25 directly across the street and 20 a block away $15 two away. Never had a problem in any lot.

Last edited:

BigTime

May 9, 2009
Where to watch a Habs game in LA

Habs fan in LA whilst the Montreal Canadiens vs Boston Bruins outdoor game on the 1st of January , my question would be any recommendations of where I could watch the game ? A place maybe where me and my Habs jersey would feel somewhat welcome
Thank you

motalar

Feb 20, 2008
dalen
Habs fan in LA whilst the Montreal Canadiens vs Boston Bruins outdoor game on the 1st of January , my question would be any recommendations of where I could watch the game ? A place maybe where me and my Habs jersey would feel somewhat welcome
Thank you

Redondo Beach Cafe. I checked the website and they are open New Year's Day.

KBA4life

Oct 22, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
I was working in DTLA up until 3 years ago. It changed drastically while I was there but it's changed even more since. So many empty lots are now buildings. Last time I went to a game, I got lucky and pulled up to a meter right as someone was leaving. They even had money in it until 8pm!

A part of me misses easy parking adjacent to Staples, but looking at the bigger picture, parking lots are dead zones in urban environments...you certainly don't see the volume of parking lots in NYC, SF, Chi etc that you do in downtown LA.

There's some serious Shanhai-ification going on downtown right now. That project that is under construction right across from Staples is pretty gaudy.

FSD219

Jun 26, 2013
Canadian visiting LA for the first time with 3 friends. We'd all love to go catch a Kings game at Staples Center and the only game there during our stay will be February 4 against the Ducks. Do you guys recommend any places that are best to get tickets? Preferably cheaper the better, we would just love to experience the atmosphere at Staples Center! Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Captain Mittens*

Canadian visiting LA for the first time with 3 friends. We'd all love to go catch a Kings game at Staples Center and the only game there during our stay will be February 4 against the Ducks. Do you guys recommend any places that are best to get tickets? Preferably cheaper the better, we would just love to experience the atmosphere at Staples Center! Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Stub hub or Craigslist are the best places to get cheap tickets. The game will sell out,especially against the Ducks. Get them early

Being that you are from out of the country, I would use stubhub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad