Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
South Bay

This is food/beverage centric:

Redondo Beach: Naja's Place - 77 beers on tap plus hundreds more in bottle, dive, live music, Kegs just down from Naja's is quiet and chill with decent pizza, R10 Social House has some interesting food and cocktails, Quality Seafood for no frills fresh seafood (see the live stuff in the market), Tony's on the Pier - get a Firechief or MaiTai. If you are in town during the season and not going to the game, go to The Gasser Lounge - major Kings bar and crazy with goal lights/horns/shots during the playoffs.

Hermosa Beach: will see Kings here - I saw Toffoli sitting with a few buddies at American Junkie with no attention (no one knew who he was, lol), saw Stoll at Hennesey's, Waterman's is cool, North End Bar & Grill b/t 26th & 27th (Kings hang out here), The Lighthouse has live jazz, Baja Sharkeez - drinks, Mediteraneo - small plates - good happy hour, upscale, Umami Burger, The Rockefeller; Hot's Kitchen; overall my favorite beach to go to. You can rent boards and bikes to cruise the strand or surf/SUP.

Manhattan Beach: more upscale except the Shellback Tavern dive bar on the end by the pier, Baja Sharkeez, Simzmy's - great burgers/craft beer, Izakaya Katsuya - top shelf sushi - bring your wallet.

El Segundo: I used to skate at the Toyota Sports Center and saw the Kings walking around all the time ... Kopitar, Doughty, Voynov walking along the glass as I skated, Brown about bumped into me by the locker rooms, I almost opened my door on Clifford in the parking lot and Bob Miller pulled into my parking space after leaving a clinic. Daryl Evans is there all the time skating in black and purple Eagle gear, no laces in his skates, giving lessons and posing for selfies with fans. One of the most accessible NHL teams (and visitor teams - got Callahan and Boyle autographs when they were with the Rangers during a practice).

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Get a rent a car and get on ANY freeway at say about 8am or 4pm most every day of the week. Bring some beverages and suntan lotion a LOTS of REALLY LOUD BOOM music. You will meet TONS of new people and make LOTS of new friends. Just set aside about 3 hours to go 4 miles and you will be all set. I hear Disneyland on Saturdays at about 11am to closing is a really great way to spend a day too.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong thread to be asking. I'm also embarrassed to have to ask this after living in LA for 5+ years...

I'm looking for a hockey bar, or a sports bar that will have the NHL games on in Culver. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Ugh, Din Tai Fung in South Coast Plaza has a massively long wait. Seriously, 3 hours and they don't do reservations.

3 hours? Just drive to the one in Arcadia. Go on a Sunday morning when there's no traffic on the 605.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
Going to FYF Fest at the LA Sports Memorial Arena this weekend. Might stop by Amoeba on Monday if i get the day off.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
So i'm taking a train Saturday from union for an overnight trip and not coming back till the afternoon on Sunday, is there a place i could park nearby?

or would i be better off uber-ing for like 16 bucks each way?

DBC

Apr 20, 2015
Ill be visiting L.A. end of October, gonna see a few shows at the Orpheum, and Mayan Theatre. Apparently they are nearby each other. Is there anywhere around there to pick up Dodgers gear? Im a huge Dodger fan.
Thanks

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
First rent a car and drive up from LAX to the 405. Then follow the signs that say hollywood. Try and go there at around 7am to 8pm and you will get a chance to be a part of a truly unique LA experience. If you consider driving in traffic that simply never really moves too much and driving for 3 hours to go 22miles a flashmob you will enjoy it even more! Enjoy L.A.!

aka

The traffic is worse than I am saying so always plan an extra hour to get where you want to go and you will be fine. Also if you fly in to LAX when it comes time to leave please give yourself an extra hour to get to your flight on time. It is the single worst airport in North America hands down.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Ill be visiting L.A. end of October, gonna see a few shows at the Orpheum, and Mayan Theatre. Apparently they are nearby each other. Is there anywhere around there to pick up Dodgers gear? Im a huge Dodger fan.
Thanks

Well, Dodger stadium is very close to Downtown, so for me your best bet is to catch a ride over there. I work a couple blocks away from the two theaters you mentioned, but I can't think of a place that sells Dodger stuff nearby.

DBC

Apr 20, 2015
Well, Dodger stadium is very close to Downtown, so for me your best bet is to catch a ride over there. I work a couple blocks away from the two theaters you mentioned, but I can't think of a place that sells Dodger stuff nearby.

Thanks for the info. Thats why I like these threads.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

pretty sure the team store at Dodger stadium is open during the day. Not sure if it's worth a cab ride up there to buy overpriced stuff though.

Or use uber and have the driver wait 20 minutes while you buy your stuff - and take some pix of the stadium and downtown.

There's usually a security guard there that will let you walk to the top of the seats so you can get some pix inside the stadium.

That70sline

Apr 23, 2015
Hey guys... A quick question about universal studios.. Ill be in LA from the 4th of october until the 11th...

I plan on going to universal studios during the week.. Anybody know how busy the park is that time of year?? Do i need to get 'front of the line' tickets

Also catching sanjose and arizona games... Whoooo hoooi

Captain Mittens*

Hey guys... A quick question about universal studios.. Ill be in LA from the 4th of october until the 11th...

I plan on going to universal studios during the week.. Anybody know how busy the park is that time of year?? Do i need to get 'front of the line' tickets

All of the theme parks as always busy. A basic rule is that they are less busy on weekdays and days with poor weather

Also catching sanjose and arizona games... Whoooo hoooi

Whoooo hoooi! And have a fun trip man

drvannostren

Nov 9, 2011
Hey I was looking for a tickets thread, is there one? Just wanted to see if anyone was selling tickets to the Preds game on Halloween afternoon.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
I'll be heading out your way next week to appear on Sports Jeopardy, and I'd love to go to your game on Thursday if there's time. I know L.A. traffic can be brutal, though... so I wanted to get advice from you guys. If I'm coming from Westfield in Culver City, what's the best way to get to Staples Center and when should I leave if I want to make it to the arena on time?

Captain Mittens*

I'll be heading out your way next week to appear on Sports Jeopardy, and I'd love to go to your game on Thursday if there's time. I know L.A. traffic can be brutal, though... so I wanted to get advice from you guys. If I'm coming from Westfield in Culver City, what's the best way to get to Staples Center and when should I leave if I want to make it to the arena on time?

There is really only one way from Culver City. It is the 10 and that stretch is literally the nation's busiest freeway. you could also take La Brea most of the way if the 10 has a major accident
It should take you about a half hour. I would allow at least an hour to be safe. That is drive time, not including parking etc

For a 7:30 start, I wuld leave at like 5:30-5:45 from Culver City

There is a ton of **** near Staples Center in LA Live, grab a beer or five pregame.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Slauson to the 110 or 405 to the 10. I'd base it on the current traffic conditions at the time. I'd leave 2 hours ahead of time. Most of the times I prefer surface streets and they're usually faster. For me at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad