Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

diago

Sep 9, 2006
Hey guys, i am going to l.a. for a week with my wife and child and was wondering what there is to do. I know there is disney land, universal stuidos seaworld, but is there other things to visit? i know its a vague question to ask becuase i know its such a big city and there must be lots to do, so if u guys have any advice, or know where i can get cheap tickets to shows or amusment parks that would be greatfull. Thanks in advance

KingsCast

You'll enjoy LA a lot but you have to look to find the best parts that aren't named the Walk of Fame or Gary Busey's house. Check out:

Korean BBQ (Soot Bull Jeep) - the best Korean BBQ in LA
King Taco - a cheap taco joint all around the city. Well worth it
The Venice Beach Boardwalk

I'm sure others will contribute their gems. Enjoy!

GOkings11

May 20, 2009
Not sure if they still have it, but they used to have a magic show/dinner thing at Universal City Walk. That was fun, I did that as a kid with my parents.

JDM

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
lakingsnews.com

A must. Free and beautiful. One of the greatest views you'll find. They have some good exhibits from time to time but I go mostly for their garden. You're wife will flip her ****. Bring a picnic basket and you should be good for a night out drinking. :)

Also just hop in a car and drive down Mulholland anywhere between Laurel Canyon and Sepulveda. Just googlemaps Mulholland and Laurel Canyon. Spectacular views abound.

Don't forget to try an In N' Out burger.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Why would I ever recommend Ripleys believe it or not museum -_-

LA Live which is downtown area aswell. They have a bowling alley and abunch of restaurants and events going on. You can't go wrong when going there.

Last edited:

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
All good contributions, but you can find some places to go depending on where you are coming from and what exactly you are trying to do...

More family oriented? Unique, wacky, wild? Natural beauty? Adult oriented when your child isn't around?

Pink's in hollywood is great if you like hot dogs. In'n'out if you are from the east coast and beyond. Cant go wrong with Universal Studios/City Walk combo. Getty like everyone said for natural beauty. Santa Monica Pier/3rd street for beach walking and shopping. Six Flags Magic Mountain if you love the roller coasters. Roscoes chicken and waffles for something random. Dodgers game, la live/staples center... Melrose/Sunset for shopping... Hollywood/Highland for perfect tourist spot if you are from outta town.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
The Getty Center is a MUST SEE if your visiting.

Venice/Santa Monica/3rd Street Promenade on a weekend night.

Beverly Hills to walk Rodeo Drive and drive through the area.

Central Library, MOCA (Museum of Contemparary Art)

Petersen Automotive Museum at Wilshire and Fairfax (a must if you like cars)

Drive up Pacific Coast Highway to have lunch at Neptunes Net at County Line
(Great scenery while driving up coast)

Hollywood, but its very disappointing to many people because the area is mostly trashy nowadays.

Disneyland > Magic Mountain < Universial Studio's--Citywalk

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Funny, I'm taking a class on LA tourism right now and this is all we talk about. Hollywood and Highland is where it's at for me. Mel's Drive-in for some grub. Then, check out Ripley's which is right there. It's got a big T-rex busting out the roof, can't miss it.

hans

Apr 13, 2007
westwood
Go to Universal Studios, take surfing lessons, admire the stars on the Walk of Fame, buy those maps to celebrity houses. Are all those things kind of lame? Yes. But all tourist stuff is lame, and at least these things are decidedly "LA". There's no point in going to another city just to taste to their Burger King and watch movies in their AMC theaters, you know?

Defgarden

Aug 22, 2008
Loma Linda, CA
The Getty is awesome. Free (well, you pay a pittance for parking), and the view is awesome...in the winter. You can't see jack on a smoggy day, though it is neat to see the temperature inversion layer keeping all the smog in like a lid.

Great exhibits though.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Funny thing is I was born and raised here in SO Cal and I never visit any tourist areas so sorry :*(

Maybe Disneyland for your kids or drive down to SD for Lego Land?

Defgarden

Aug 22, 2008
Loma Linda, CA
Funny, I'm taking a class on LA tourism right now and this is all we talk about. Hollywood and Highland is where it's at for me. Mel's Drive-in for some grub. Then, check out Ripley's which is right there. It's got a big T-rex busting out the roof, can't miss it.

Does that Gargoyle dude still stand on Hollywood and Highland? (Or is it Hollywood and Vine? I forget). He's got a crazy costume.

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Ok here is a plan
Go to Union Station Across the street is Olivera Street and China Town and a bunch of other stuff. Park all day.
After you are done there take the Red Line (get an all day pass) you can go to Holliwood and Vine, Hollywood and Highland Universal City Walk and Universal Studios La Live and Staples Center Pershing Square
Many of the cities attractions are near the subways (less than half but a good number) and if you take them you don't have to look for parking or worry about getting lost, but it is LA so you will need a car.
I would avoid the Blue line after 8 pm (it goes through some less than happy places)
http://www.metro.net/index.asp

Reactions: KingTrouty
As a Long Beach resident, I'll throw out the Aquarium of the Pacific recommendation. I'll be honest, I've never been but it gets good reviews from locals and tourists alike. Just do a google search to find their site. I think it is like $20 admission. Then there is the Queen Mary down there too. I'm not sure if that is even open these days but it parked in the harbor. Just another option. You could also take a fishing charter or whale watching for like $40 or so (per person) out of Long Beach, Redondo Beach or Marina Del Rey. I'm not sure if that is your cup of tea but another option. There is also the Catalina Express which is a boat ride to Catalina Island which is a few miles of the California coast. Google search Catalina Island to see what kind of things there are to do there. I think you could snorkling, kayaking, hiking and some other various things. I think most of the Harbors in So Cal offer kayaking which is something to do that is fairly cheap.

Last edited:
I would avoid the Blue line after 8 pm (it goes through some less than happy places)
http://www.metro.net/index.asp

I'll second this. The Blue Line is very convenient to Long Beach from Downtown LA and is very cheap ($1.50 each way) but I would avoid it at night time. If you would like help getting around LA with public transit, I can help you, just ask. We don't have the best system in the world but if you are on a tight budget and that will allow you to do more things, it is a decent option.

diago

Sep 9, 2006
Thanks A lot guys, hearing about a lot of new spots from u guys. I wont need to worry abuot public trasportation casue i will have a car when i am there, i am also there to do business, and have been to L.A. a few times but its the first time with the family so need some fun things to do with them. haha. Also i wanted to ask u guys where should i be staying???? I know its another vague question but i will be going around hollywood, downtown fashion district so should i be staying near the airport cause it well surounded????? Thanks again guys much appriciated

JDM

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
lakingsnews.com
Thanks A lot guys, hearing about a lot of new spots from u guys. I wont need to worry abuot public trasportation casue i will have a car when i am there, i am also there to do business, and have been to L.A. a few times but its the first time with the family so need some fun things to do with them. haha. Also i wanted to ask u guys where should i be staying???? I know its another vague question but i will be going around hollywood, downtown fashion district so should i be staying near the airport cause it well surounded????? Thanks again guys much appriciated

If most of your work is in Hollywood/downtown, you absolutely DO NOT want to stay near the airport. (traffic between LAX and downtown is some of the worst in the city).

LAX is far from well, everything, save for maybe Santa Monica. I doubt you'll do a lot of traveling around Culver City (unless you took a tour at Sony).

Speaking of which, taking a tour at Warner Brothers in Burbank isn't a bad idea. That is something VERY LA, and you're family will be thrilled.

But as for places to stay, Universal Studios has several hotels and is very well situated. Most likely though you should stay somewhere in hollywood.

Another option would be the Sportsmen's Lodge. It's right next to a freeway that will take you directly to hollywood or downtown in 10-30 minutes, traffic pending. It is also on Coldwater Canyon, which you can also take over the hill and into Beverly Hills.

The Lodge is a nice hotel and is in a less crazy location than hollywood. If you're family won't be happy being in middle of everything, but prefers something more calm, it provides that as well as fairly good proximity. Only downside is they have weddings and crap there all the time.

But yeah, I'd say anything near the airport is a bad idea.

not tellin*

If most of your work is in Hollywood/downtown, you absolutely DO NOT want to stay near the airport. (traffic between LAX and downtown is some of the worst in the city).

word to your mother

LAX is far from well, everything, save for maybe Santa Monica. I doubt you'll do a lot of traveling around Culver City (unless you took a tour at Sony).

Speaking of which, taking a tour at Warner Brothers in Burbank isn't a bad idea. That is something VERY LA, and you're family will be thrilled.

But as for places to stay, Universal Studios has several hotels and is very well situated. Most likely though you should stay somewhere in hollywood.

Another option would be the Sportsmen's Lodge. It's right next to a freeway that will take you directly to hollywood or downtown in 10-30 minutes, traffic pending. It is also on Coldwater Canyon, which you can also take over the hill and into Beverly Hills.

The Lodge is a nice hotel and is in a less crazy location than hollywood. If you're family won't be happy being in middle of everything, but prefers something more calm, it provides that as well as fairly good proximity. Only downside is they have weddings and crap there all the time.

But yeah, I'd say anything near the airport is a bad idea.

if you take JDM's advice and you like sushi and are willing to drop some coin, nozawa is the place to be. omakase or bust. if you're not quite the connoisseur(sp), there's plenty of other decent priced places in the sushi capital of the US.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad