OT: Visiting Chicago - Come for the pizza, stay for the pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I'm a fan of the new Park Tavern they put in. Pricier but much closer. When they open that beer garden it is going to be great.

West End is nightmare on game days.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Wasn't sure where else to put this but I was in Chicago for 4 days this past weekend for the Hockey City Classic at Soldier Field (big Gopher fan). Anyways, I went to a bar in Wrigleyville called Redmond's to watch the Gophs/Badgers game on Friday and had a blast. It was a fun atmosphere for the Hawks/Sharks game afterwards too. As much as I look forward to hating your team when realignment finally happens, you have quite the squad and I loved seeing so many hockey fans in Chicago (I'm sure it has nothing to do with the hot start). :D

STC

Oct 29, 2012
It's a good one, but I like Pitchfork a lot as well. Over 100 kinds of whiskey, cool ambiance, good place to watch a game.

Pitchfork has awful food though. I live right by there and we took out from there and it was so bad we just tossed it all and went and got something else for dinner.

Twisted Spoke has really good food on the other hand.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm a fan of the new Park Tavern they put in. Pricier but much closer. When they open that beer garden it is going to be great.

West End is nightmare on game days.

So mad that they closed Stanley's and made it into a wine bar. I was there when the Hawks won the Cup and for countless other pregame drinks.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Not exactly a "visiting" Chicago question, but I've recently been offered a position by my company in Chicago. I've got a couple friends that live there, and I've heard mostly good things...nicer people (coming from the east coast haha), cheaper rent than the NYC area, lots of stuff to do, etc.

But what I'm really trying to find out...are there are indoor roller hockey leagues in the Chicago area? I'd have a car so it doesn't need to be right in the city.

Any other useful information for someone (potentially) moving to Chicago would be appreciated.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Not exactly a "visiting" Chicago question, but I've recently been offered a position by my company in Chicago. I've got a couple friends that live there, and I've heard mostly good things...nicer people (coming from the east coast haha), cheaper rent than the NYC area, lots of stuff to do, etc.

But what I'm really trying to find out...are there are indoor roller hockey leagues in the Chicago area? I'd have a car so it doesn't need to be right in the city.

Any other useful information for someone (potentially) moving to Chicago would be appreciated.

You'll find a ton in the more affluent southwest suburbs. Try looking for something in Lemont or Lockport.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
10 years ago the city would put up a roller hockey rink at North Ave Beach which was pretty cool. Not sure if they still do that.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

http://www.egvhockey.teampages.com/
http://www.tcsrollerhockey.com/

Southside

Mar 18, 2004
Great thread guys, lots of useful info in here.

I'm gonna be in town for a convention at the end of April. I just checked dates, and it looks like the Friday i'm flying in is the last home game of the year (26th). Seperate from the ticket questions (which have been answered in all the previous posts) i'm looking more for a reality check on the timing.

My flight lands at 6:23p at O'Hare, I've got to check in at my hotel (Hilton Rosemont). Looks like the game starts at 7:30pm. Is it in any way feasible that i can make it to the game without missing too much? I don't really want to drop $100 on a ticket if i'm going to miss half the game.

If not, is it worth going out to the bars closer to the arena for the post-game atmosphere (assuming a win of course :) ) or is it better to go elsewhere just cause of the crowds?

Appreciate any advice!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
You'd be lucky to make the 3rd period.

As for bars post game, I think most who live in the city probably get out of that area after the game ends just because it's kind of a ***** of a commute with no 'L' service that close. You'd be better off just going to bars in Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville afterward.

dannythekid

Nov 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Coming in on Monday (arriving around 4:30PM into O'Hare). What am I looking at as far as trying to get ahold of a single ticket to the game that night against the Kings? Wouldn't mind it if I can get one for a decent price but, if not where is a good place to watch the game?

If it's worth the stay I'll stick around in CHI for a bit before I need to head up to Milwaukee for the night.

-Dan

KenWu

Apr 2, 2012
Ducks fan coming in peace. In area for Blackhawks vs. Redwings 4/12. Would love to go to a game, but why are the tickets so expensive? 100+ for just standing room? Jeez!

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Ducks fan coming in peace. In area for Blackhawks vs. Redwings 4/12. Would love to go to a game, but why are the tickets so expensive? 100+ for just standing room? Jeez!

Football is done, baseball hasn't started (and both teams will likely suck anyway) and the Bulls are awful. That leaves the Hawks as the hottest ticket in town.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook

Coming in on Monday (arriving around 4:30PM into O'Hare). What am I looking at as far as trying to get ahold of a single ticket to the game that night against the Kings? Wouldn't mind it if I can get one for a decent price but, if not where is a good place to watch the game?

If it's worth the stay I'll stick around in CHI for a bit before I need to head up to Milwaukee for the night.

-Dan

A quick glance at Tickemtaster reveals that only 2 tickets remain for that game. They are both in 106. If you can afford a ticket for about $200 face value on TM, that's an option.

If you're looking for the best buys, then check the Ticket Exchange at ChicagoBlackhawks.com. I notice a single for $66 + fees in Section 330. That's actually a GREAT buy, as that actually will run you about the same price as regular face value is for that seat.

FinHawk

Oct 18, 2006
Finland
Hello, Friends.

I'm coming to Chicago after two days. What is the best Blackhawks fan bar before the match? I'm there in CHI-ANA game and then Det-Chi game in Detroit. What's the best place to get indian head tattoo?:nod:

Skew06

Nov 16, 2012
Hazelwood, Missouri
Ill be coming in from st louis for the game on thursday. Im staying at a super 8 in rosemont/ohare and I was wondering if the L train would be a good idea to get to the united center, and if there were any good bars near the United Center to hit up before the game within walking distance. Thanks

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Ill be coming in from st louis for the game on thursday. Im staying at a super 8 in rosemont/ohare and I was wondering if the L train would be a good idea to get to the united center, and if there were any good bars near the United Center to hit up before the game within walking distance. Thanks

You could take the Blue Line down on the L from O'Hare or Rosemont and have a two-block walk if you get off at the Medical District. Not sure how that would work, though, as I've never taken the L.

Bars I'm not proficient with either, as I'm a minor. :laugh: Enjoy the game!

Skew06

Nov 16, 2012
Hazelwood, Missouri
You could take the Blue Line down on the L from O'Hare or Rosemont and have a two-block walk if you get off at the Medical District. Not sure how that would work, though, as I've never taken the L.

Bars I'm not proficient with either, as I'm a minor. :laugh: Enjoy the game!

Two blocks works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad