OT: Visiting Chicago - Come for the pizza, stay for the pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Finally. I was literally going to start a visiting thread today after reading the one started by the Canuck fan below. Then I read this. Way to step up, Mod!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I find this part hilarious

"The two residents of the United Center, the Bulls NBA team which boasts such superstars in its history as Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Derrick Rose, and the Blackhawks, our beloved NHL hockey team that is the most recent champion of Chicago, are both known to create one of the loudest atmospheres in sports."

:laugh:

Bulls play in a library. People only get loud about T-shirt tosses and the last few minutes. Hell, I put the end of the game on the other night and half the 100 level was emptying out in the last 2 minutes.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Go to Gino's for a beer, so you can say you've been there. Then go to Lou's for dinner.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I find this part hilarious

"The two residents of the United Center, the Bulls NBA team which boasts such superstars in its history as Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Derrick Rose, and the Blackhawks, our beloved NHL hockey team that is the most recent champion of Chicago, are both known to create one of the loudest atmospheres in sports."

:laugh:

Bulls play in a library. People only get loud about T-shirt tosses and the last few minutes. Hell, I put the end of the game on the other night and half the 100 level was emptying out in the last 2 minutes.

There's only so much mindless regular season wins a fanbase can take

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I've been going to Chicago a couple of times a year since I was 7 (I'm 32 now so it's 25 yrs and counting). My aunt and her family has always lived on the north shore - firstly wilmette, and now Lake Forest.

There's a bunch of Chicago I've seen and have not seen...but when I'm headed out there for a wkend and have time to come into the city I always go to the art institute and hang around in that area. I'm very familiar with the area and have probably seen the basic "go to" sites a million times over.

Can anyone think of any hidden treasures right around that area I might have missed - things it might have never occurred to me to check out?

Leaving aside everything Chicago in general has to offer - if my uncle dropped me off in front of the art institute at 9 am on weekday and i had a few hours to kill, i'd visited the usual suspects in the area, and didn't want to leave the general area...what would you suggest i see that i might have missed?

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I've been going to Chicago a couple of times a year since I was 7 (I'm 32 now so it's 25 yrs and counting). My aunt and her family has always lived on the north shore - firstly wilmette, and now Lake Forest.

There's a bunch of Chicago I've seen and have not seen...but when I'm headed out there for a wkend and have time to come into the city I always go to the art institute and hang around in that area. I'm very familiar with the area and have probably seen the basic "go to" sites a million times over.

Can anyone think of any hidden treasures right around that area I might have missed - things it might have never occurred to me to check out?

Leaving aside everything Chicago in general has to offer - if my uncle dropped me off in front of the art institute at 9 am on weekday and i had a few hours to kill, i'd visited the usual suspects in the area, and didn't want to leave the general area...what would you suggest i see that i might have missed?

I know some bars that are worth going to, but outside of booze, sports and a couple museums I got nothing.

Arcane

Oct 25, 2006
Lollapalooza 2012

Oilers fan here.

I'll be attending Lolla this year and it will be my first time. Pretty amped, always loved Chicago.

We're there a few days early, what are some places I have to go?.

Our group is 27-28, we like to drink (a lot) and eat.

Any suggestions?

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Oilers fan here.

I'll be attending Lolla this year and it will be my first time. Pretty amped, always loved Chicago.

We're there a few days early, what are some places I have to go?.

Our group is 27-28, we like to drink (a lot) and eat.

Any suggestions?

What exactly are you looking for? Museums? Sports? Bars? Chicago has a lot to offer.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
If you're going to be downtown a lot... leave and go to the neighborhoods. Downtown is cool and all for touristy kinds of things but there's tons of culture and cooler bars/restaurants when you leave downtown.

My suggestion, if you're comfortable with it, is to buy a 3 or 5 day CTA pass and take the red or blue line to an area and explore the bars/restaurants around there. Ask around for neighborhoods to go check out and I'm sure you'll get an idea of some places to go.

Red and blue lines run 24/7 and as long as you don't venture too far away from the stop you get off, you can easily find your way back and just hop back on the train whenever you wanna leave.

Max Denby

Jul 28, 2003
Oslo
Visit site
I'm planning (hoping) to go to Chicago next year. 1 week in february or march. Hoping to catch at least 2 home games.
1: When should I buy tickets? (I know most games are sold out)
2: Which seats do you recommend? Traveling from Europe I would like decent seats. Price?
3. Hotel. Can you recommend a hotel "close" to United Center?

Thanks guys

Let's say:
TUE FEB 19, 2013 RED WINGS BLACKHAWKS
7:00 PM
FRI FEB 22, 2013 BLUE JACKETS BLACKHAWKS
7:30 PM
SUN FEB 24, 2013 CANUCKS BLACKHAWKS
6:00 PM

Last edited:

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm planning (hoping) to go to Chicago next year. 1 week in february or march. Hoping to catch at least 2 home games.
1: When should I buy tickets? (I know most games are sold out)
2: Which seats do you recommend? Traveling from Europe I would like decent seats. Price?
3. Hotel. Can you recommend a hotel "close" to United Center?

Thanks guys

Let's say:
TUE FEB 19, 2013 RED WINGS BLACKHAWKS
7:00 PM
FRI FEB 22, 2013 BLUE JACKETS BLACKHAWKS
7:30 PM
SUN FEB 24, 2013 CANUCKS BLACKHAWKS
6:00 PM

Every game sells out and whenever tickets go on sale is when you should get on the Hawks website to buy the tickets. I'm sure someone here knows the exact date they go onsale but I really don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad