OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
For me, when it comes to Chicago style/Deep Dish, Lou's or Geno's is very good. I also like a place in the city called Pizano's that is right up by the bean, and a couple other locations. It's owned by the Malnatis of Pizzeria Uno fame.

Thin crust, it's hard to beat Falco's, or Phil's. Although Home Run Inn is always a great choice.

I could go on and on about food in here. Haha. I won't even dive into the Mexican food places. I know some serious gems on the south side, and in the city. I have a list on my phone, but don't feel like digging through it right now. :laugh:

Hot dogs/beef/burgers, there are a ton of different little places that I like. I'm not a big fan of most the "chain" type places like Five Guys or Portillo's. I usually prefer to go to a small, one-off, mom&pop type of place. Maxwell Street is always damn good, though. Polish with mustard and grilled onion... yes please.

And yeah... Chicago is a wonderful place to live if you love food. So much diversity, and so many good places to eat.

I'm kinda interested in what your gem Mexican restaurants in the city are. I've been getting back to eating better lately but Mexican food is my weakness. . :help:

Agree with the mom and pop shops. Love finding small little places like that.

Deep Dish Peaquod's

:thumbd:

Beef- Johnnie's Beef in Elmwood Park

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm kinda interested in what your gem Mexican restaurants in the city are. I've been getting back to eating better lately but Mexican food is my weakness. . :help:

Agree with the mom and pop shops. Love finding small little places like that.

:thumbd:

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:
I've been doing the same. Been doing fruit for breakfast, and a light lunch that's usually a salad of some sort, followed up with a solid dinner that's usually a protein and two veggies. But Mexican food... like you, it's my kryptonite.

Mago Grill - Bolingbrook - It's right by my house, and their food is outstanding.
Taqueria El Milagro - Chicago on 26th St. - Amazing tacos, best I've ever had probably.
Canton Regio - Chicago on 18th St. - Really good BYOB sit-down Mexican restaurant.
Big Star - Chicago on Damen - Amazing specialty tacos.
Seoul Taco - Chicago on Clark St. - Amazing Korean/Mexican fusion, and actually named best wings in Chicago at one point.(Although my all-time favorite wings are the Chipotle BBQ at Fatty Magoo's by me in Bolingbrook).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Don't think I've ever been to Johnnie's before. May need to change that next time I'm back in town.

For some reason when I do go back to visit, I only go out of my way for good pizza.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
For me, when it comes to Chicago style/Deep Dish, Lou's or Geno's is very good. I also like a place in the city called Pizano's that is right up by the bean, and a couple other locations. It's owned by the Malnatis of Pizzeria Uno fame.

Thin crust, it's hard to beat Falco's, or Phil's. Although Home Run Inn is always a great choice.

I could go on and on about food in here. Haha. I won't even dive into the Mexican food places. I know some serious gems on the south side, and in the city. I have a list on my phone, but don't feel like digging through it right now. :laugh:

Hot dogs/beef/burgers, there are a ton of different little places that I like. I'm not a big fan of most the "chain" type places like Five Guys or Portillo's. I usually prefer to go to a small, one-off, mom&pop type of place. Maxwell Street is always damn good, though. Polish with mustard and grilled onion... yes please.

And yeah... Chicago is a wonderful place to live if you love food. So much diversity, and so many good places to eat.

before i left, Geno's was opening a place out west.... i think it was between yorktown and oakbrook exits... is there one still there??

i will give you a little known secret or fyi.

falco's and home run inn well in the late 60's they were 2 brothers well their was a fight and the brother split. 1 brother open falco's and the other stayed with the father and ran home run ..... if you really compare the taste, the crust and cheese mixture is extremely close.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
before i left, Geno's was opening a place out west.... i think it was between yorktown and oakbrook exits... is there one still there??

i will give you a little known secret or fyi.

falco's and home run inn well in the late 60's they were 2 brothers well their was a fight and the brother split. 1 brother open falco's and the other stayed with the father and ran home run ..... if you really compare the taste, the crust and cheese mixture is extremely close.

No kidding? Didn't know that. All I know is Falco's is one of the few places I've ever gotten thin crust pizza that knows how to put toppings on it. The pizza is LOADED with the toppings. I get just sausage, well-done, and every bite has sausage in it. It's amazing. Phil's is the same.

And as far as Geno's... I'm assuming you mean Gino's East? Or am I mistaken? There's one in Rosemont, and I think one in Wheaton. Not sure if those are the ones you're talking about.

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No kidding? Didn't know that. All I know is Falco's is one of the few places I've ever gotten thin crust pizza that knows how to put toppings on it. The pizza is LOADED with the toppings. I get just sausage, well-done, and every bite has sausage in it. It's amazing. Phil's is the same.

And as far as Geno's... I'm assuming you mean Gino's East? Or am I mistaken? There's one in Rosemont, and I think one in Wheaton. Not sure if those are the ones you're talking about.

ref to gine-geno.... my bad.. bad spelling.

yeah, ref the home run inn is or lived in the little village area and their boys grew up with my brothers. honest injun.

damn now i am going to get depress and cry in my domino's pizza.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I've been doing the same. Been doing fruit for breakfast, and a light lunch that's usually a salad of some sort, followed up with a solid dinner that's usually a protein and two veggies. But Mexican food... like you, it's my kryptonite.

Mago Grill - Bolingbrook - It's right by my house, and their food is outstanding.
Taqueria El Milagro - Chicago on 26th St. - Amazing tacos, best I've ever had probably.
Canton Regio - Chicago on 18th St. - Really good BYOB sit-down Mexican restaurant.
Big Star - Chicago on Damen - Amazing specialty tacos.
Seoul Taco - Chicago on Clark St. - Amazing Korean/Mexican fusion, and actually named best wings in Chicago at one point.(Although my all-time favorite wings are the Chipotle BBQ at Fatty Magoo's by me in Bolingbrook).

Las Reinas (formerly Beef & Barley) is a must now. Had their lamb tacos Wednesday. Holy ****ing ****...

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I've never had Johnnies, but recently I've heard two people say that the beefs there were very skimpy.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Johnny's is very good but I swear their beefs have gotten smaller over the years.

i can see that happening, the reason is today's economics. the cost of food is going up and yet these restaurants and for that fact, grocery stores need to keep the price around the same price.

products i buy, i noticed are smaller, but with new covering. it is all deception to hide the real reason. same thing with restaurants offering smaller amounts while disguising the product.

pay attention next time you go to the grocery store or order a pizza or sandwich.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Visiting Chicago: Help please!

My 12 year old daughter and I are driving next week from Manitoba, Canada to Indiana to visit my brother and nephews. I would like to spend a day and night in Chicago and experience your city.
Could anyone recommend things to see or do and where to stay and eat?

My thoughts so far are Architecture Boat Tour, John Hancock observation, Blue Man Group.
Not sure at all what hotel to stay at.

Much appreciated, thank you!

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
My 12 year old daughter and I are driving next week from Manitoba, Canada to Indiana to visit my brother and nephews. I would like to spend a day and night in Chicago and experience your city.

My thoughts so far are Architecture Boat Tour, John Hancock observation, Blue Man Group.

chi food is the best.... esp the pizza and the beef sandwich. any of the museums are great..... navy pier.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

Only recommendation as far as hotels is stay downtown rather than at an airport hotel to get the full staying in Chicago experience even if staying further out may be cheaper.

And as far as downtown hotels, it's really all about what price point works for you and what is closest to the attractions you want to visit. I've stayed in a lot of downtown hotels in the last five years and can't think of any truly bad experience to warn you about. I know the Doubletree on Ohio St. has a pool, which a lot of downtown pools may not have, if that is a positive thing for you with a 12-year-old.

There's just a few hotels you have to watch out for that put fridges in the room but that are pre-stocked with mini bar items and if you take that stuff out of the mini bar to try to actually use it as a fridge during your stay the hotel has sensors in the fridge that will charge you for the mini-bar stuff you move even if you put it back. Both Hard Rock Hotel and Hyatt Regency on Wacker have this. When I checked out of Hard Rock last year every person that came up to the counter was getting the attendant to take mini-bar charges off their bill, which they did, but it was somewhat obnoxious.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I understand that Chicago/Cook County 's new Soda Tax has cleared hurdles in the holdup with its application with food stamp users and so the tax cam proceed now to all buyers of beverages to wich tge tax is applicable. BUT are diet soda's exempt ...since I believe the intent was to tax for sugary drinks ?And if the intent was to discourage use of sugary beverages which contribute to cause diabetes and up expenses on the medical system ,does not the refunding to food stamp users of the tax encourage probably the least able of society (the poir on food stamps) to increase their risk of diabetes? The ogic baffles me..but since I am not a resident of Chicago or even the U.S.A.,I love in Canada) I wonder IF I visit Chicago ..will I as a visitor get a refund if I have to pay this tax since I do not cost your medical system anything from the duabetes I would get if I consumed these sugary drinks on my visit?In a sense I am asking g if non-residents from this tax juridiction who are visitors to the City get a refund break?Americans visiting Canada have tp pay our sales taxes but can get refunds in they apply properly ...Of course nobody will bother for merely a few cents extra as woukd be the case merely on beverages where tge tax us applicable ..but if in future your County or State virtual city expansion the sugary substance tax to other foods containing sugar this could am out to significant extra costs?There is of course lots of sugar in pizza dough ..this also contributes to duabetes .Why not tax pizzas?I am sure they eventually will..All jurisdictions need more money and so you can expect increasing taxes ..especially on consumption items .
BUT TO BE FAIR ...visitors who must pay such taxes should be able to apply for refunds as tge collection of such taxes is not intended to benefit them much or as in the case of the sugary soda tax,act as a discouraging use mechanism for unhealthy substances affecting tge resident population of the juridiction involved!

So did tgey limit this new tax to only beverages containing sugar?Does it apply to only soda's with sugar (for now) or did they just lump all soda including diet soda in?Is beer next?Pizza next? Why not donuts?I am thinking that if I keep putting off my visiting Chicago ,in about 5 years theyy will be taxing everything because everything will be shown to be bad for you ...smoked meats,burgers and hot dogs and their links to cancer ...carbs and their links to obesity..sugar of course..

So can you recommend places to go in Chicago for lettuce and spinach?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
My understanding is that drinks including artificial sweeteners are included in this bs tax. Luckily for me, while I work in Cook county, I live in Dupage county and can buy whatever I want out here near my home.

These idiots in Cook County (and the state of Illinois for that matter), they're doing everything they can to drive people out of this state. If I didn't feel trapped here because of my job and working in a dying industry (printing), I would have left for California years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad