OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
Like everyone else said - if you want Chicago pizza to go Lou Malnati's. (Gino's East and Giordano's are good too, but if I had to pick one it would be Lou Malnati's without question)

Now that I live in NC I've been thinking about ordering some of those Malnati's pizzas that they will ship to you

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
I'm a bit of a pizza snob, and wasn't impressed with Malnati's. Amazingly, there is a Chicago style place in Birmingham - Tortuga's. Guy is from Chicago - and his pizza is fantastic.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I'm a bit of a pizza snob, and wasn't impressed with Malnati's. Amazingly, there is a Chicago style place in Birmingham - Tortuga's. Guy is from Chicago - and his pizza is fantastic.

Gonna take a hard pass on taking Chicago pizza advice from a guy from Alabama:laugh:

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Gonna take a hard pass on taking Chicago pizza advice from a guy from Alabama:laugh:

Been to Malnati's 3x, Giordano's 1x and Geno's 1x - I've also eaten pizza all over the rest of the country and most of Europe. It's okay if you don't trust my opinion, but most of my friends will text me for advice on pizza, even the weird Chicago style :)

bradm6125

May 20, 2009
Any suggestions for best bar/pub/restaurant to watch the game at near the Magnificent Mile?

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
Any recommendations for a good place to watch (Caps) playoff games in the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area?

I'll be moving to Chicago from overseas later this year and happy to adopt the Blackhawks as my 2nd team. In the meantime going to get a feel for the city for a week during the 1st round in April at a rental property. I have NHL season package but all the playoff games are blocked in the U.S. from what I understand.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I don't think you'll have any problem walking into any sports bar and saying put on NBCSN/CNBC/USA if it's not already on somewhere.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Hello,

was planning on making the trip from GR to Chicago on Saturday the 13th for what would be game 5 between the griffs and wolves and was wondering if I could get some good local info.

1) parking: where's a good cheap place to park for wolves games?

2) what are some good restaurants near the arena? Not looking for the stereotypical place that serves deep dish pizza but rather a place that locals like to go to for good food/ambiance and good local craft beer.

3) hotels around the arena?

No need to blow up the thread here but if you guys want to PM me your possible responses, it would be greatly appreciated.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The arena is in Rosemont which is pretty much where O'Hare is. So any hotel near that is really close.

Parking is $15 at the stadium, I believe, and there's not really anywhere else to park in the area, I don't think. There's a strip mall close that you'll probably get towed from. My advice would be to Uber/Lyft from your hotel, you're probably already going to be paying a lot to park there.

Food wise, Shoeless Joe's is a solid sports bar with a good beer list. Barnaby's is a pretty popular spot, very old school stand & order dive with cheap sandwiches & thin crust pizza. Crappy beer list, though. There's a Gibson's close if you're into steakhouses. Obviously can be on the pricier side, but you can get a burger for $15 or so.

Have fun! My brother and I were thinking about trying to get to game 5 as well. BTW, I think it's $5 beers for the playoffs.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
So, this Friday I'm headed to Chicago to stay there for 2 weeks. I originally planned on staying in the River North area, but now I am staying just about 1 km south of The Loop. Any good restaurants and bars (especially pizzerias) you'd recommend in that area but just around town in general? Also, are there any good sightseeing/fun touristy stuff outside the usual I see recommended (MCA, Sears Tower, etc)? The only certainties are that I'm going to both days of the draft and 1 Cubs and Sox game and am going to see the usual landmarks and museums.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Went back to Chicago for Memorial Day weekend.

Son and Fiancee took us to eat Chinese food in Morton Grove on Friday night. Saturday Walker's Brothers, then Portillo's, then Pequod's. Pequod's was great.

Sunday - some Filapino place for lunch, then some burger place in a Bowling alley.

I ate so much.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
So, this Friday I'm headed to Chicago to stay there for 2 weeks. I originally planned on staying in the River North area, but now I am staying just about 1 km south of The Loop. Any good restaurants and bars (especially pizzerias) you'd recommend in that area but just around town in general? Also, are there any good sightseeing/fun touristy stuff outside the usual I see recommended (MCA, Sears Tower, etc)? The only certainties are that I'm going to both days of the draft and 1 Cubs and Sox game and am going to see the usual landmarks and museums.

If you have that much time to explore the city, I would throw out the suggestion of getting out in the neighborhoods. One example: on a nice day you could take a water taxi down from the Madison Ave. water taxi stop down to the Chinatown stop. You get off at a park on the river there and it's just a short walk to a bunch of Chinatown restaurants and shops. Even just as a way of getting around downtown, I really love the water taxis both on the river and lakefront.

Other touristy stuff... had an OK time when I did the Chicago gangster tour bus. It's kind of cheesy but I liked it. https://gangstertour.com/

This is also probably a good resource to find things to fill your days.
http://chicagoonthecheap.com/free-or-cheap-things-to-do-in-chicago-this-week/

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

There's a Lou Malnati's in the 800 block of State Street. That's typically the go-to recommendation for Chicago-style. Giordano's isn't as good as it used to be, but they still make a good pie and I think there's one down there as well.

Buddy Guy's Legends is just south of the Loop if you want to take in some blues. I agree with water taxi recommendation; you can also take the Chicago Architectural Tour if you want to get on the river. I always recommend the University of Chicago area--the Oriental Museum has a fantastic collection although you do have to be into history. FLW's Robie House is down there as well, and I always enjoy the Museum of Science and Industry.

Rhyagelle

Apr 17, 2013
Just came from the architectural tour. Was nice to see things from the river and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Agency paid the tickets, but apparently they were pretty expensive ($50 for 90min tour?)

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U

I'll echo the suggestions for the architectural tour. Also, Chicago history is really interesting and if you have a chance there are some history tours that are worth checking out.

For food, Lou Malnati's for pizza. Go to Gino's East to say you've been there if you really want, but Lou's is the best, no question. Portillo's for hot dogs and beef sandwiches. My culinary expertise is more of the far south side kind of area, so I'm not of particularly great use to tourists in this regard. :laugh:

Glad to hear you're checking out the museums. The Field Museum and Art Institute are absolute must-sees. The Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium (in the Museum Campus with the Field) are also great stops to make. The Lincoln Park Zoo is free admission. The Museum of Science and Industry is cool if you're into that kind of thing, plus you can see the old Midway Plaisance from the Columbian Exposition while you're down there (it's just a big grass parkway, but there's the Statue of the Republic and some great public art down there as well). It's not really touristy, per se, but if you want to see a bit of Chicago history it might be worth your while for a quick stop.

I'd suggest going to the nearby suburb of Oak Park and looking at all the FLW homes down there. His home and studio is incredible, and the street it's on has tons of his work.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Making a short stop to attend the Draft. I've been to Chicago a couple times and did the touristy stuff.

Went to a Bulls game in January, but didn't explore the surrounding area around the arena. Any tips since it's looking like I might need to burn time between an autograph session at noonish until doors open at 4?

STC

Oct 29, 2012
For food, Lou Malnati's for pizza. Go to Gino's East to say you've been there if you really want, but Lou's is the best, no question. Portillo's for hot dogs and beef sandwiches. My culinary expertise is more of the far south side kind of area, so I'm not of particularly great use to tourists in this regard. :laugh:

Agree on Lou's being best deep dish in the city, but you're out to lunch (lol) when it comes to Portillo's. The place is vastly overrated. Don't get me wrong, its solid, but the way some people rave about it is insane. I have friends out of town who ship in the beef and others who drove 2 hours to eat there when they opened a franchise in Tampa.

The fact is there probably isn't a Portillo's in the Chicagoland area where you couldn't find better versions of the same food within 5 miles. The beef is average at best. 100s of stands out there that make a better Italian beef. And their burgers are mediocre. Probably 1000s of stands/burger joints/pubs in the area where you can get a much better burger.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Agree on Lou's being best deep dish in the city, but you're out to lunch (lol) when it comes to Portillo's. The place is vastly overrated. Don't get me wrong, its solid, but the way some people rave about it is insane. I have friends out of town who ship in the beef and others who drove 2 hours to eat there when they opened a franchise in Tampa.

The fact is there probably isn't a Portillo's in the Chicagoland area where you couldn't find better versions of the same food within 5 miles. The beef is average at best. 100s of stands out there that make a better Italian beef. And their burgers are mediocre. Probably 1000s of stands/burger joints/pubs in the area where you can get a much better burger.

While the 100's of stands/joints for beef, and 1000's of stands/burger joints is probably a bit of an exaggeration, I have to agree. Their food is overrated. It's good. But definitely overrated. And overpriced, IMO.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

SPOT FRICKING ON!!!!

Portillo's is the MCDs of Chicago food.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
While the 100's of stands/joints for beef, and 1000's of stands/burger joints is probably a bit of an exaggeration, I have to agree. Their food is overrated. It's good. But definitely overrated. And overpriced, IMO.

for me, being away from chi fantastic culinary pit stop, i like Geno's deep pizza over Lou's.

regular pizza, for me, nothing beats home runn inn.

hot dogs/ beef sandwich, while i love the local neighborhood stands, it is not there anymore. re to Port's i found it ok, enuf to satisfy my taste. but it is nothing to brag about.

Mexican, i go back into my primary home neighborhood, the little village are, nuevo leon. problem is, i am bias i know or use to know the org owners.

italian - taylor st esp with intalian ice.

dang, i miss the great food chi has to offer. i really envy you.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
for me, being away from chi fantastic culinary pit stop, i like Geno's deep pizza over Lou's.

regular pizza, for me, nothing beats home runn inn.

hot dogs/ beef sandwich, while i love the local neighborhood stands, it is not there anymore. re to Port's i found it ok, enuf to satisfy my taste. but it is nothing to brag about.

Mexican, i go back into my primary home neighborhood, the little village are, nuevo leon. problem is, i am bias i know or use to know the org owners.

italian - taylor st esp with intalian ice.

dang, i miss the great food chi has to offer. i really envy you.

For me, when it comes to Chicago style/Deep Dish, Lou's or Geno's is very good. I also like a place in the city called Pizano's that is right up by the bean, and a couple other locations. It's owned by the Malnatis of Pizzeria Uno fame.

Thin crust, it's hard to beat Falco's, or Phil's. Although Home Run Inn is always a great choice.

I could go on and on about food in here. Haha. I won't even dive into the Mexican food places. I know some serious gems on the south side, and in the city. I have a list on my phone, but don't feel like digging through it right now. :laugh:

Hot dogs/beef/burgers, there are a ton of different little places that I like. I'm not a big fan of most the "chain" type places like Five Guys or Portillo's. I usually prefer to go to a small, one-off, mom&pop type of place. Maxwell Street is always damn good, though. Polish with mustard and grilled onion... yes please.

And yeah... Chicago is a wonderful place to live if you love food. So much diversity, and so many good places to eat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad