OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I grew up in Temple. What was best in life was when someone from the southeast entered the hood, because it allowed us to crush our enemies, to see them driven before us, and hear the lamentations of their women.

get

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I grew up in Forest Lawn (which is still in the south)/Marlborough area and there were a few cases where I've been in bad situations. But for the most part, it's kind of quiet.

But Calgary news portrays the NE as a hood. Most of the time if there's a shooting or a crime they say on CTV "Another shooting in the Northeast community of Marlborough"

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I grew up in Forest Lawn (which is still in the south)/Marlborough area and there were a few cases where I've been in bad situations. But for the most part, it's kind of quiet.

But Calgary news portrays the NE as a hood. Most of the time if there's a shooting or a crime they say on CTV "Another shooting in the Northeast community of Marlborough"

Let's get this straight, Forest Lawn and Marborough should not be confused with Compton. But for the City of Calgary, it is indeed "The Hood".

Just embrace that you grew up there. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I stayed in the Marlborough area last time I was in Calgary, I avoided getting shot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Let's get this straight, Forest Lawn and Marborough should not be confused with Compton. But for the City of Calgary, it is indeed "The Hood".

Just embrace that you grew up there. :laugh:

Haha, for sure.
When I tell my friends where I grew up, they're like 'wow' haha; when I tell people not from Calgary, then I mention that's a rough part Calgary... They're like 'it's still Calgary :laugh:'

Easy to forget, we had 30 or so killings in Calgary last year, a majority of which were gang related. 1+million people... You're about as safe as you could be in this city one way or another :laugh: I mean, an ass beating is a totally different thing, but serious harm is so far and few.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Haha, for sure.
When I tell my friends where I grew up, they're like 'wow' haha; when I tell people not from Calgary, then I mention that's a rough part Calgary... They're like 'it's still Calgary :laugh:'

Easy to forget, we had 30 or so killings in Calgary last year, a majority of which were gang related. 1+million people... You're about as safe as you could be in this city one way or another :laugh: I mean, an ass beating is a totally different thing, but serious harm is so far and few.

I think Thorncliffe is pretty ghetto for Calgary to. But yeah I always felt safe growing up there, we were usually the ones causing the trouble in our area haha.

I go to the NE fairly often, I'd just prefer not to hangout there vs other places if I'm given the choice. Honestly Inglewood and Bridgeland are becoming my favourite communities.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Brooks was ok. The smell that I read about came around yesterday morning. It was not that big of a deal. Just farm smells. Mostly urea fertilizer.

Anyway......in Lethbridge for the first time and just ate at a South Asian place called Mango Tree. I have eaten tons of Indian food and this was very very good. Not overpowering spice, but still flavorful.

Having a nice time Alberta.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brooks was ok. The smell that I read about came around yesterday morning. It was not that big of a deal. Just farm smells. Mostly urea fertilizer.

Anyway......in Lethbridge for the first time and just ate at a South Asian place called Mango Tree. I have eaten tons of Indian food and this was very very good. Not overpowering spice, but still flavorful.

Having a nice time Alberta.
Ribfest is in the downtown area this weekend. Had some from this place called Gator BBQ today and they were fantastic. I'm not even sure where the Mango Tree is :laugh:, I hope they have you holed up somewhere nice as someone in teh hotel industry in Lethbridge I can say with certainty that we have alot of ****holes here.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Ribfest is in the downtown area this weekend. Had some from this place called Gator BBQ today and they were fantastic. I'm not even sure where the Mango Tree is :laugh:, I hope they have you holed up somewhere nice as someone in teh hotel industry in Lethbridge I can say with certainty that we have alot of ****holes here.

Mango Tree is on 3 Ave S just west of 13 St S. Hotel I'm at is in Lakeview just south of Henderson Lake.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mango Tree is on 3 Ave S just west of 13 St S. Hotel I'm at is in Lakeview just south of Henderson Lake.
3rd Ave and about 5th street si where ribfest is being held. That almost sounds like the old location of CoCo Pazzo. Sounds like they have you in one of the cheaper places in town. If it's just a one night stay it shouldn't be bad, but if you are in town for multiple nights shoot me a PM and I can recommend the best value for your buck.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
3rd Ave and about 5th street si where ribfest is being held. That almost sounds like the old location of CoCo Pazzo. Sounds like they have you in one of the cheaper places in town. If it's just a one night stay it shouldn't be bad, but if you are in town for multiple nights shoot me a PM and I can recommend the best value for your buck.

It is the same space where CoCo Pazzo used to be.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Thorncliffe is pretty ghetto for Calgary to. But yeah I always felt safe growing up there, we were usually the ones causing the trouble in our area haha.

I go to the NE fairly often, I'd just prefer not to hangout there vs other places if I'm given the choice. Honestly Inglewood and Bridgeland are becoming my favourite communities.

Buddy, guess who's out in Inglewood :naughty:

Next time you swing down shoot me a PM haha.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It is the same space where CoCo Pazzo used to be.
CoCo Pazzo was open like 15 years and I recommended it dozens of times and never heard a bad thing about the place from anyone. Yet, I never made it there myself :laugh:

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Theres a festival going on downtown/bridgeland this weekend. I think its the Filipino festival. I was visiting my grandma at the Seniors Lodge in Bridgeland, and it was really loud. Lots of music. Check it out!

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
CoCo Pazzo was open like 15 years and I recommended it dozens of times and never heard a bad thing about the place from anyone. Yet, I never made it there myself :laugh:

Checked out a small restaurant in downtown Lethbridge called Afghan Cuisine on 7 St S and 3 Av S, kitty corner from where the RibFest was being held. It was amazing. So flavorful without being overpowering and the lamb was perfect.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Just wrapped up another awesome trip to Alberta. Had one final dining stop in Lethbridge at a place called Mocha Cabana. Cute restaurant with good food catering to various dietary restrictions.

Checked out Heritage Park in Calgary. Love the living history stuff!

And finally enjoyed some time at Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore and made love to the Three Sisters. They were great! ;)

Everytime I go to Alberta, I love it more and more.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Happy to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Not too many places in the world are an hour away from gorgeous nature and scenery. Happy you saw Heritage Park :laugh: it may ruin Western movies/shows for you when you see that it's the town haha. My jam there is the bakery, some kind of good.

I was in Canmore today for work. Cannot go wrong with the Grizzly Paw or Belle Patate. Major.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just wrapped up another awesome trip to Alberta. Had one final dining stop in Lethbridge at a place called Mocha Cabana. Cute restaurant with good food catering to various dietary restrictions.

Checked out Heritage Park in Calgary. Love the living history stuff!

And finally enjoyed some time at Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore and made love to the Three Sisters. They were great! ;)

Everytime I go to Alberta, I love it more and more.
Mocha Cabana is extremely popular here, but I've been twice and had terrible experiences due to service and never returned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad