OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Hey, I'll be visiting Calgary during the last week of August, and will be spending a couple of days in the city. Does anyone know the best place to have Albertan beef is? My family really wants to try it out, since we're in Calgary anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Hey, I'll be visiting Calgary during the last week of August, and will be spending a couple of days in the city. Does anyone know the best place to have Albertan beef is? My family really wants to try it out, since we're in Calgary anyway.

Thanks in advance!

You'll get Alberta Beef pretty much anywhere you go. For good steaks, I enjoy:

Caesars
Cattle Baron
Smuggler's Inn (prime rib is mmmmm...)
Ric's Grill

There are some places that I don't recommend - most of the major chain "family restaurants" (although I had steak at Ricky's that was surprisingly good). There's a place called "Halo Steakhouse" in South Calgary where I quite possibly had the worst / most disappointing steak I've ever had.

Ironically, if you can find Alberta Beef somewhere else in Canada it could actually be better because it's aged a bit longer due to travel time.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Caesars
Cattle Baron
Ric's Grill

There are some places that I don't recommend - most of the major chain "family restaurants" (although I had steak at Ricky's that was surprisingly good). There's a place called "Halo Steakhouse" in South Calgary where I quite possibly had the worst / most disappointing steak I've ever had.

Ironically, if you can find Alberta Beef somewhere else in Canada it could actually be better because it's aged a bit longer due to travel time.

I second the bolded. Or better yet, if you are staying at someones place and they have a BBQ, run to the store (M&M Meat Shops would be my recommendation) and buy some nice steaks and do them up yourself. :nod:

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver

Caesars
Cattle Baron
Ric's Grill

Thanks! I'll look into those places. Do I need to make reservations, or can I just walk in?

I second the bolded. Or better yet, if you are staying at someones place and they have a BBQ, run to the store (M&M Meat Shops would be my recommendation) and buy some nice steaks and do them up yourself. :nod:

I'm just staying at a hotel, so I'll have to go to a restaurant to eat.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC

Caesars
Cattle Baron
Ric's Grill

In my experience's of going to Calgary, the prime rib at Smuggler's Inn is amazing.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Saltlik Steakhouse has incredible steaks (my faves are the Filet Mignon and Prime Rib)

Vintage Chophouse is great as well.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Weeknights you might be okay without reservations, but Friday/Saturday/Sunday I'd recommend them - just give them a call beforehand.

Smuggler's has a pretty epic Sunday Brunch as well but it's usually quite busy.

I'll be there during weekdays, so hopefully I won't need to make reservations. I guess I should though, just in case.

Saltlik Steakhouse has incredible steaks (my faves are the Filet Mignon and Prime Rib)

Vintage Chophouse is great as well.

Thanks for the advice!

It's looking like a close race between Caesar's and Smuggler's right now. I'll be there for two nights, so might as well try both?

Aug 3, 2010
If you feel really hungry try Big T's BBQ by the University… metric **** ton of beef if you can handle it. But really, it's Alberta beef product in every restaurant 99 percent of the time in Calgary.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
The Keg's 18oz Rib eye is amazing. Although I rarely eat out, the best is purchasing steaks from BonTon meat market.

Anywho, visiting Calgary there are several great places which were mostly mentioned here. Anywhere you eat steak here will more than likely be Alberta's AAA steak. It's going where the Chefs know how to properly prepare and grill a steak.

Goo luck and enjoy your stay

Trae

Calgary
Vintage Chophouse is where I've had the best steak in town, little pricey and you gotta dress formal/casual, but super good.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Your loss. ;)

I get to spend 4 of the 7 days in Calgary. Coming from Toronto, I wanted to go check out Red Deer and Edmonton for a day as well. If you have any ideas for stuff to do in Calgary that would be awesome. Any nice parks that we could visit? The girlfriend just got a new DSLR camera and wants to snap some scenery and pics.

:)

Aug 3, 2010
I get to spend 4 of the 7 days in Calgary. Coming from Toronto, I wanted to go check out Red Deer and Edmonton for a day as well. If you have any ideas for stuff to do in Calgary that would be awesome. Any nice parks that we could visit? The girlfriend just got a new DSLR camera and wants to snap some scenery and pics.

Go to Banff or Drumheller instead. In all honesty, and this is with the opinion of friends from Edmonton, Edmonton is just an older, colder, norther version of Calgary.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Go west, young man. Banff / Lake Louise / Kananaskis Country will offer plenty of scenery.

I would recommend skipping Red Deer & Edmonton, unless you have to go to those places, and use that time in the mountain parks.

Trae

Calgary

A lot of the major parks aren't up to regular standards with the floods but I haven't checked them out recently to see where they currently are. Just head a little west and see some mountains, 30min-hour drive.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Go west, young man. Banff / Lake Louise / Kananaskis Country will offer plenty of scenery.

I would recommend skipping Red Deer & Edmonton, unless you have to go to those places, and use that time in the mountain parks.

We're spending 3 days in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.

I want to figure out some activities in the other 4 days.

We're going to be there for a week.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Lol m&m mear shops do not have good steaks.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
If ya like sushi and need a break from beef, Oka Sushi Is a fantastic sushi bar at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Book a res as its popular among locals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->