OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Happy to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Not too many places in the world are an hour away from gorgeous nature and scenery. Happy you saw Heritage Park :laugh: it may ruin Western movies/shows for you when you see that it's the town haha. My jam there is the bakery, some kind of good.

I was in Canmore today for work. Cannot go wrong with the Grizzly Paw or Belle Patate. Major.

I used to go to Heritage Park as a kid all the time. I think it was pretty close to where I lived. All I remember is the rickety catterpillar ride, the carousel and the old-timey candy shoppe. And the tram, of course, with the warning that you'd be fined for spitting.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I used to go to Heritage Park as a kid all the time. I think it was pretty close to where I lived. All I remember is the rickety catterpillar ride, the carousel and the old-timey candy shoppe. And the tram, of course, with the warning that you'd be fined for spitting.

They also don't like it if you try and stick your limbs overboard :laugh:

Also Rock Candy from the candy shop, pretty much just crystallized sugar on a stick w/ food coloring (olde timey food coloring). GOAT candy.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Happy to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Not too many places in the world are an hour away from gorgeous nature and scenery. Happy you saw Heritage Park :laugh: it may ruin Western movies/shows for you when you see that it's the town haha. My jam there is the bakery, some kind of good.

I was in Canmore today for work. Cannot go wrong with the Grizzly Paw or Belle Patate. Major.

Ok, Posh Spice! :)

Seriously, though, it's so nice to have the Canadian Rockies so accessible from my future home.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Mocha Cabana is extremely popular here, but I've been twice and had terrible experiences due to service and never returned.

The food was good, but not great. The French onion soup was decent, but I've had better and the pasta salad was ok. Where they score big points is the fact that they try hard to be conscientious about their food and describe it well in the menu, so that you know exactly what you're getting. Having vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options is terrific and serves them well in terms of market niche.

I have to say, however, that I found the service to be exceptional and I loved the game on the wall with the poster of singers' faces and guessing who they are.

It's a shame your experience was disappointing.

Oh.....and Tommy Gun's will be my new go to barber. It's affordable AND they do a two-minute scalp massage! I even have a "frequent flyer card" started.

We really wanted to see the Japanese Garden, but unfortunately ran out of time. [FROWNY FACE EMOTICON]

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
This caught my eye at the Calgary airport.

picture.php

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
For sure! I am very excited for him and the Flames. I couldn't be happier because he deserves a shot at being the true #1 goaltender.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
Hey guys I'm going to Calgary for a few days and was wondering if any of y'all would 100% recommend I do something while there. I like outdoorsy stuff and will be seeing Banff, Revelstoke and those parks, but if there's something really cool I should do in Calgary please let me know. I'm open to everything. I'll make sure to read through rest of the thread as well for food (Smugglers inn sounds good huh) and what not.

I also ****ing love dinosaurs (favorite is Carnotaurus) and will be seeing the museum in drumheller but if there's anything else please let me know.

Thanks guys, love y'all

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hey guys I'm going to Calgary for a few days and was wondering if any of y'all would 100% recommend I do something while there. I like outdoorsy stuff and will be seeing Banff, Revelstoke and those parks, but if there's something really cool I should do in Calgary please let me know. I'm open to everything. I'll make sure to read through rest of the thread as well for food (Smugglers inn sounds good huh) and what not.

I also ****ing love dinosaurs (favorite is Carnotaurus) and will be seeing the museum in drumheller but if there's anything else please let me know.

Thanks guys, love y'all

IF you're going out to the Drum, and like outdoorsy things; do the Hoodoo trail. Really cool stuff, and you totally do not feel like you're even in the same country as before :laugh: you go from green to a desert/badlands quickly.

Also it's close to the trail, there's the old mining bridge.

If you're heading out to Banff/Revelstoke, hit up the Grotto Trail in Exshaw if you're looking for a little hike. The hike's not overly long, it's pretty easy and there's a really cool ancient cave paintings up there too. Definitely worth a walk. On your way to Banff, stop by Belle Patate (best Poutine in the Calgary area) or Grizzly Paw (best brewery (debatable) around Calgary. Honestly, those two places are better than anything you'll get in Banff (and a lot cheaper).

For food, in Calgary? There are so many effin' options, and that's magic.
Smugglers Inn is alright, you can get a lot of prime rib; I don't really think it's even close to being Calgary's best steakhouse. Ruth's, Caesar's or personally Minas or Pampa (Brazilian, the Latter normally having good Groupon rates) are higher on my list than Smuggler's.

There's a lot to do in Calgary, man, what are you kind of looking for? Like partying? Hanging out? Seeing some cool stuff? Sports?

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
IF you're going out to the Drum, and like outdoorsy things; do the Hoodoo trail. Really cool stuff, and you totally do not feel like you're even in the same country as before :laugh: you go from green to a desert/badlands quickly.

If you're heading out to Banff/Revelstoke, hit up the Grotto Trail in Exshaw if you're looking for a little hike. The hike's not overly long, it's pretty easy and there's a really cool ancient cave paintings up there too. Definitely worth a walk. On your way to Banff, stop by Belle Patate (best Poutine in the Calgary area) or Grizzly Paw (best brewery (debatable) around Calgary. Honestly, those two places are better than anything you'll get in Banff (and a lot cheaper).

Smugglers Inn is alright, you can get a lot of prime rib; I don't really think it's even close to being Calgary's best steakhouse. Ruth's, Caesar's or personally Minas or Pampa (Brazilian, the Latter normally having good Groupon rates) are higher on my list than Smuggler's.

There's a lot to do in Calgary, man, what are you kind of looking for? Like partying? Hanging out? Seeing some cool stuff? Sports?

Thanks for all the help Volica! Appreciate it man.

As for the last bit there, I just wanna see some cool stuff. Don't wanna party or anything. The war museum looked pretty cool

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I would usually suggest taking a look at the Spray Lakes area, but I'm pretty sure it's been closed for a the last couple weeks.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Thanks guys, love y'all

Visit me.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Just want to mention that La Belle Patata and Grizzly paw are in Canmore. I agree eating there rather than Banff.

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
If you're interested, there is lots to do at COP (Winsport). You could try Skyline Luge- it's best if you have people to race. It's not actually luge, more like downhill go-karting but the karts aren't motorized.

There is also a zipline which is apparently the "fastest in North America" (though I didn't think it felt too much different from other ziplines I've been on before) and summer bobsleigh which is really fun. You should look into booking those in advance to ensure there is space.

COP has a really convenient location too- just 2 or 3 minutes away from where Stoney Trail meets the Trans Canada, which is most likely the route you'll take to get to the mountains.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hey guys I'm going to Calgary for a few days and was wondering if any of y'all would 100% recommend I do something while there. I like outdoorsy stuff and will be seeing Banff, Revelstoke and those parks,

I really like Golden as a place to do outdoorsy stuff. Twin Falls trail for example.

but if there's something really cool I should do in Calgary please let me know. I'm open to everything. I'll make sure to read through rest of the thread as well for food (Smugglers inn sounds good huh) and what not.

Uh

- I saw a really cool bike trail off Stoney in the SE the other day, it's close to Glenmore / Paegan and half the trail is on top of a boardwalk over water. I am gonna hit it up on a day when I don't waste a good chunk of a Saturday on HFboards.
- If it's night time, the patio at National on 8th is the best at this time of year
- If you've got a lady friend with you, Pizza and Vino at Una on 17th. Best atmosphere in the city.
- Visit II

If you're gonna be in Drumheller, you ought to do the Horseshoe Canyon. Really cool place and the souveniers are way cheaper than the museum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad