Recalled/Assigned: Vinnie Up (upd: down)

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
He'll be in Rockford today.

As I mentioned before, his agent is my neighbor and the director (sometimes coach) of my twin's hockey league. He's a bit cagey when asked, but I'd love to get his take! :)

The Hawks have been yanking 'random forward' guy up all season. Danault is whatever, as is Rasmussen. Really surprised (and disappointed) that Dano can't make his way down I-90 to the United Center.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm not going to lie. I thought about climbing the glass and giving Vinny a mouthful when the Rangers scored their second goal and there was still 2 minutes left on the power play. Then I realized Vinny would pound me into submission before I get a word out.

Sports ... fans (including myself) can get so irrational at times. The kid made a mistake ... a terrible mistake. But it's not like Vinny was oblivious. He was hanging his head in the box. You recognize these players are human too.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
The kid high sticked a guy aggressively pursuing the puck going into his own d-zone. Unfortunately it drew blood. Let's not act like he committed murder on ice.

He will learn to keep his stick on the ice. If the PK wasn't a complete disaster we wouldn't even talking about this.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The kid nearly cost Hawks game last night

He isn't ready

He'll be in Rockford today.

As I mentioned before, his agent is my neighbor and the director (sometimes coach) of my twin's hockey league. He's a bit cagey when asked, but I'd love to get his take! :)

The Hawks have been yanking 'random forward' guy up all season. Danault is whatever, as is Rasmussen. Really surprised (and disappointed) that Dano can't make his way down I-90 to the United Center.

I'm not going to lie. I thought about climbing the glass and giving Vinny a mouthful when the Rangers scored their second goal and there was still 2 minutes left on the power play. Then I realized Vinny would pound me into submission before I get a word out.

Sports ... fans (including myself) can get so irrational at times. The kid made a mistake ... a terrible mistake. But it's not like Vinny was oblivious. He was hanging his head in the box. You recognize these players are human too.

Overreact much? I felt bad for Hino as he sat in the box watching those two goals but it is not like he went out of his way to high stick an ops player. It was an accident that, after the team fought back for the win, would not even get mentioned if Hino wasn't a rookie.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Overreact much? I felt bad for Hino as he sat in the box watching those two goals but it is not like he went out of his way to high stick an ops player. It was an accident that, after the team fought back for the win, would not even get mentioned if Hino wasn't a rookie.

Agreed. I made a joke about him going back to the Rock and people agreed. He has some talent and I hope they give him a few more games. It was one mistake.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

It's part of being a fan. You know ... the term "fan" is short for "fanatic." Nothing worse than someone playing the results and acting holier than thou. In the moment, fans will get mad. It's part of being passionate. Then in a couple of minutes, everything is okay.

It's the reason why we come to the message boards. We get to share our up and downs with other fans. Most of us, the vast majority, realize it's still just a game.

BTW, that was a terrible penalty by Hino. He was careless with his stick in a position when he didn't need to be. The offensive player was in the neutral zone. Obviously, he didn't mean to high stick ... but he put himself into that unnecessary position. It was an AHL play. He'll grow from it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It was a missed stick lift. You absolutely live with kids making aggressive mistakes. He was put on a line with two plugs and was running around like Karl Stewart at times.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's part of being a fan. You know ... the term "fan" is short for "fanatic." Nothing worse than someone playing the results and acting holier than thou. In the moment, fans will get mad. It's part of being passionate. Then in a couple of minutes, everything is okay.

It's the reason why we come to the message boards. We get to share our up and downs with other fans. Most of us, the vast majority, realize it's still just a game.

BTW, that was a terrible penalty by Hino. He was careless with his stick in a position when he didn't need to be. The offensive player was in the neutral zone. Obviously, he didn't mean to high stick ... but he put himself into that unnecessary position. It was an AHL play. He'll grow from it.

Actually "holier than thou" is a good description of the posters suggesting he "isn't ready" or needs to be sent to the minors because of a single bad penalty. No Hawk fan would have been happy about a 4 minute short-handed situation that resulted but .....

As for Hino. He is small in stature but he has a big heart and plenty of resolve. As a rookie he will make mistakes - One can bet that he did learn a valuable lesson.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Putting the penalty aside, he hasn't shown anything in either stint.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
He has shown nothing and took a horrible penalty at a horrible time. Can a penalty like that happen to anyone? Of course. But when you are just called up and fighting for a roster spot any mistake can be a big strike against you. When you combine the mistake with what his game looks like it its likely he is down again very soon. I felt sorry for the kid sitting in the box but I can also feel sorry for many other guys sitting in Rockford waiting another chance. Would rather see someone else up regardless of that penalty.

Sorry Vinny, nothing personal.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I was one of the people who said 'back to Rockford'

Specifically as it relates to Q. He has little or no patience with rookies. We've seen the Rockford revolving door this season. Hino hasn't shown much of anything in the two games (plus those earlier in the season) and he took a critical penalty that almost cost the Hawks the game. Mistake or not - I can't recall another instance in which a called up forward got a double minor.

Q doesn't have faith in rookies and call ups. This doesn't help. As such, I fell that Q would send him down and someone else (Hartman, Dano) is up the outdoor game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Q sat Gus for that game as well. He had a rough night last night and Q has a very short leash.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't care about the high stick, I just don't think he's very good....

STC

Oct 29, 2012
He has shown nothing and took a horrible penalty at a horrible time. Can a penalty like that happen to anyone? Of course. But when you are just called up and fighting for a roster spot any mistake can be a big strike against you. When you combine the mistake with what his game looks like it its likely he is down again very soon. I felt sorry for the kid sitting in the box but I can also feel sorry for many other guys sitting in Rockford waiting another chance. Would rather see someone else up regardless of that penalty.

Sorry Vinny, nothing personal.

Putting the penalty aside, he hasn't shown anything in either stint.

Nothing? I guess you missed the first goal of the game vs Toronto the other night.

I think he looks good for his role, looking forward to seeing more of him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I was one of the people who said 'back to Rockford'

Specifically as it relates to Q. He has little or no patience with rookies. We've seen the Rockford revolving door this season. Hino hasn't shown much of anything in the two games (plus those earlier in the season) and he took a critical penalty that almost cost the Hawks the game. Mistake or not - I can't recall another instance in which a called up forward got a double minor.

Q doesn't have faith in rookies and call ups. This doesn't help. As such, I fell that Q would send him down and someone else (Hartman, Dano) is up the outdoor game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Q sat Gus for that game as well. He had a rough night last night and Q has a very short leash.

People still believe this?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Nothing? I guess you missed the first goal of the game vs Toronto the other night.

I think he looks good for his role, looking forward to seeing more of him.

I wouldn't look too forward to it, unless you get Rockford games on your tv

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
People still believe this?

He has shown little patience with some offensive type rookies we wanted to get a shot (Pirri, Morin, Hartman, etc) and much more patience with rookies we want nothing to do with (Rasmussen, Mashinter). Has stuck with TVR. Its a short leash and little patience for rookies who don't play his way defensively.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He has shown little patience with some offensive type rookies we wanted to get a shot (Pirri, Morin, Hartman, etc) and much more patience with rookies we want nothing to do with (Rasmussen, Mashinter). Has stuck with TVR. Its a short leash and little patience for rookies who don't play his way defensively.

I haven't seen a rookie come in this season and give Q a reason to give them more playing time outside of Panarin, Rasmussen (earlier) and Danault. Just becasue people here want to see them get a shot, doesn't mean they should.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I haven't seen a rookie come in this season and give Q a reason to give them more playing time outside of Panarin, Rasmussen (earlier) and Danault. Just becasue people here want to see them get a shot, doesn't mean they should.

what about Gus and Sved?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Frankly, I think Sekac deserved a longer look than he got.

He has a higher ceiling than Mashinter and was noticeable and good in the one game he played. Then nothing. Why?

Also, it would be great if Teuvo got some time in the top 6 on his PROPER wing. Looking at what he did on the PP on his LW with skill players, I want to see what he can do from that position 5v5 when he's not lugging around grinders.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

He has a higher ceiling than Mashinter and was noticeable and good in the one game he played. Then nothing. Why?

Also, it would be great if Teuvo got some time in the top 6 on his PROPER wing. Looking at what he did on the PP on his LW with skill players, I want to see what he can do from that position 5v5 when he's not lugging around grinders.

Agreed with everything here. Teuvo is wasted playing with grinders.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
what about Gus and Sved?
I was talking about the forwards mainly.
Gus deserved a shot when he first came up, lately he hasn't been good at all. Svedberg is where he belongs.

I missed a couple games where Sekac played, so no comment on him there. Not sure what he has to do with Rookies either.. I agree it would be nice to see him instead of Mashinter anyway, but I don't particularly mind Mashinter. He's not great, but he is pretty good positionally, goes to the dirty areas, can skate fairly decently for a big man, and can once in a blue moon pop a goal in. I understand why Q wants a guy like him on a 4th line instead of another perimeter guy.

I wouldn't mind Teuvo in the top 6 while Hossa is out, but Hossa is a better option with Toews. And TT didn't seize the opportunities he has had on the left side, so I am fine with that when Hossa is back. I think he's still down in the lineup now to help spread the wealth a little. But I'm not sure what he has to do with this conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad