Confirmed with Link: Viktor Stalberg to OTT for 2017 3rd round pick

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
I agree that Stalberg shouldn't get much more than a million per season, but this chart doesn't really work in the NHL- teams don't and can't operate like this. It's not a fantasy draft where you're picking your whole team at once. Players get new contracts at different times, there's a difference in what you pay UFAs and RFAs, and you'll have young players on entry level deals that come into top 6 roles. Under your chart, we'd either have to trade Brassard or Pageau since both deserve well more than 2 million per, but one has to play as the 3rd line centre.
You're just as likely to have underperformers for contracts as overperformers. So you have to account for that as well. And we absolutely shouldn't pay more for Pageau than we have to. He's a 30-40 point guy. You can get FAs for that much.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He made 1.5M this past season. His production didn't really go up. That's the cap of what I'd expect him to make on a 1 year deal, maybe a little bit less if the two sides agree to go two years. Stalberg has no upside to get better so the security of a two year deal should call for a small discount.

That chart on the last page of this thread doesn't really make sense. Good luck paying good third liners 1M per. Because of the nature of UFA VS RFA contracts there is too much variables in contracts for people to consistently be able to say "3rd liner wingers should make 1M". For example, our starting goalie will make 3.5M next season while our 1C will make 4M.

Market value for good veteran third liners is around 3M so if a team was only going to pay 3rd liners 1M, they'd start to suck pretty quickly. Outside of getting really lucky, we're not getting say a Zack Smith replacement on the open market for 1M.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Idk, I find the huge difference in speed between the two makes it an odd comparison.

Agreed. If you're looking for a bust prospect that wishes he could have been Stalberg, it's Greening. Much like Stalberg, he even has a season where playing with superstars juiced his numbers to unattainable expectations for future production.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Agreed. If you're looking for a bust prospect that wishes he could have been Stalberg, it's Greening. Much like Stalberg, he even has a season where playing with superstars juiced his numbers to unattainable expectations for future production.

Agreed. It's too bad Greening was priced out of the league.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Much better comparison. Similar tools. Paul will never skate like Stalberg.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think you'll find that it's nearly impossible to sign a proven NHL forward for 1 M or less per season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't know about that. Paul has looked really good in his NHL stints thus far.

He'll surprise people. He's a 6'4, 230lb beast that can skate and shoot. He translates really well to the NHL level.

Yea, I don't get what is going on with PD & Paul, it may be that they expected a top 6 forward when he is clearly a very good bottom six forward. Let him work his way up but give him a shot & stop berating him, turn him into an excellent faceoff guy on your 4th line. It doesn't make sense to me why they don't use him in Ottawa.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think you'll find that it's nearly impossible to sign a proven NHL forward for 1 M or less per season.

According to Hale if even one is signed for that much then the simple fact that we might not have one is indicative of management's incompetence.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
According to Hale if even one is signed for that much then the simple fact that we might not have one is indicative of management's incompetence.

I still laugh when I remember Hale blaming Stafford's playoff goal on "asset management" for trading for Stalberg and not Stafford.

Some of the lengths people will go to hammer their agenda is just truly remarkable in this place

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I still laugh when I remember Hale blaming Stafford's playoff goal on "asset management" for trading for Stalberg and not Stafford.

Some of the lengths people will go to hammer their agenda is just truly remarkable in this place

Stafford would have been a great pickup. 6th round pick was all it cost for a guy who's been a good 30-50 point winger for a long time.

You laugh but he had 2 more goals than Burrows and Stalberg, and they played 26 more games than he did. Those guys cost Dahlen and a 3rd.

Asset management gentlemen. You'll figure it out one day.

NHLers signed for under 1M this offseason
Marchessault: 30G, 51P for 0.95M
Eaves: 32G, 51P for 1M
Gagner: 18G, 50P for 0.65M
Versteeg: 15G, 37P for 0.95M
Sceviour: 9G, 24P for 0.85M
Connolly: 15G, 23P for 0.85M
Korpikoski: 8G, 20P for 1M
White: 9G, 16P for 1M

Couldn't have signed one of those guys? Why isn't a budget team looking at adding cheap NHL talent for free?

You add one or two of those guys and the acquisitions of Burrows and Stalberg become completely unnecessary. We still would have a great prospect in Dahlen, and we could use the 3rd to acquire a top 6 winger in Vanek to boost scoring or to bolster the blueline with Mike Stone.

Amazing the possibilities that open up when a team has depth to open the season.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Stafford would have been a great pickup. 6th round pick was all it cost for a guy who's been a good 30-50 point winger for a long time.

You laugh but he had 2 more goals than Burrows and Stalberg, and they played 26 more games than he did. Those guys cost Dahlen and a 3rd.

Asset management gentlemen. You'll figure it out one day.

NHLers signed for under 1M this offseason
Marchessault: 30G, 51P for 0.95M
Eaves: 32G, 51P for 1M
Gagner: 18G, 50P for 0.65M
Versteeg: 15G, 37P for 0.95M
Sceviour: 9G, 24P for 0.85M
Connolly: 15G, 23P for 0.85M
Korpikoski: 8G, 20P for 1M
White: 9G, 16P for 1M

Couldn't have signed one of those guys? Why isn't a budget team looking at adding cheap NHL talent for free?

You add one or two of those guys and the acquisitions of Burrows and Stalberg become completely unnecessary. We still would have a great prospect in Dahlen, and we could use the 3rd to acquire a top 6 winger in Vanek to boost scoring or to bolster the blueline with Mike Stone.

Amazing the possibilities that open up when a team has depth to open the season.

Can we pin this post?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad