Player Discussion Viktor StÃ¥lberg

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Imo the constant turnover of bottom six players and the unwillingness by management to address it in any meaningful way has hurt this teams SC runs.

Letting guys like Weise, Mitchell, Stempniak walk... no pursing or developing role players...

It's a good thing we got rid of Stemp. He was such a whippin boy on these boards.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i prefer my crow well done....

he's been great. really effective and dependable.

having said that, when he's put in a position to succeed, he can help this team. playing him in the bottom 6 is key and as we saw the other night, he can makes plays occasionally.

hes dumb as rocks mostly, but on the 4th line, or even with the other berg and say eric staal, he can be both effective and bring something we need. size, speed and forecheck with purpose.

hes not smart enough to play top 6, but he's certainly good enough to help us in the right role.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
i prefer my crow well done....

he's been great. really effective and dependable.

having said that, when he's put in a position to succeed, he can help this team. playing him in the bottom 6 is key and as we saw the other night, he can makes plays occasionally.

hes dumb as rocks mostly, but on the 4th line, or even with the other berg and say eric staal, he can be both effective and bring something we need. size, speed and forecheck with purpose.

hes not smart enough to play top 6, but he's certainly good enough to help us in the right role.

I remember some people saying we should have signed him to a two year, $1.1M deal instead of a 1 year because the risk could pay off and we'd risk losing him or having to overpay him.

Let's hope it's not another Pouliot situation. I'd like to see him back for full time 3rd line time at $1.5-2M/year for 2-3 years. He's worth that contract, and easily tradeable if things change.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

From the article:

The candidate for a wing is somewhat prominent: The 30-year-old Stalberg also links contactors, currently playing in the NHL and contests with the New York Rangers play-offs. Just as Sjögren (189 cm / 97 kg) is also the man from Gothenburg with 190 cm and 95 kg, a physically imposing figure. Stalberg has the reputation of an extremely fast and hard rocketing wing drafted in the NHL with Toronto, Chicago, Nashville and the Rangers, who, however, neither remarkable playmaker qualities still has a defensively strong conscience. In so far 452 NHL games of sixth-round Draft 2006 scored 73 goals total. Its 1.1 million US dollars heavy contract runs out in the summer and will not be renewed by the Rangers.

Yeah, probably because that idiot genius behind the bench is stuffing him on a line with Glass...

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
It's a good thing we got rid of Stemp. He was such a whippin boy on these boards.

The reason I hate hearing about the loss of Stempniak over and over again is because is he would not be doing the same thing with the Rangers.
Stempniak had a lot of defincies. I just don't see how his departure hurt the Rangers.
So now, he is doing well with another team, yet again. Notice that none of the teams he ever makes this big impression with ever go anywhere with him.
Maybe there is a message in that.

Considering this is a Stalberg thread, I have to say how much I love Stalberg's play. I hope he gets out there and crunches a Penguin really, really early on in Game 2. Rangers do have some good speed. I'm pretty happy that Stalberg goes out and uses it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad