Player Discussion Viktor StÃ¥lberg

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
He's been quite the pleasant surprise in the bottom six, has great speed, good handles and has played smart defensively. His goal against San Jose, while meaningless, was impressive. Seems like a good low risk signing thus far.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I thought he looked better in the preseason, especially physically, but he has fit in enough that he isn't hurting the team.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Stal mixes it up a bit and isn't afraid to muck it up. He goes to the front of the net, fast player, can score at times. I likey. :handclap:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'm sorry.

he's been awful. really.

last night he scores a garbage goal and now he's awesome. he's not, he's really a bad hockey player.

the goal he scored was classic viktor.

skates in all alone (so he doesnt need to attempt a pass or even see a teammate) on 2 guys and semi dekes them/loses the puck and then takes a semi flub shot that glances off a skate a finds 5 hole.

too funny. :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Awful? Stalberg is the perfect replacement for Hagelin. He has speed, is very solid defensively (7 games in and still not on the ice for a goal against) and adds production. At 1.1m he is a steal.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Awful? I think he's a nice fit in the bottom-6.

4 points in 7 games, leads the team in +/-...

hes a decent 4th liner any higher and he's marginal at best. his body of work, especially when not playing with super skilled line mates, isn't stellar. bad hands, dumb head. big and fast. thats it.

Awful? Stalberg is the perfect replacement for Hagelin. He has speed, is very solid defensively (7 games in and still not on the ice for a goal against) and adds production. At 1.1m he is a steal.

defensively he's been ok. he needs to be on the 4th line only. hell do well there playing against stiffs and getting his 12 mins of ice time.

i never said he can't play, i just have always said he's big and dumb and will never score much. he's where pucks go to die. on the 4th line, on this team, he's good.

any higher, and he's a horror show.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm sorry.

he's been awful. really.

last night he scores a garbage goal and now he's awesome. he's not, he's really a bad hockey player.

skates in all alone (so he doesnt need to attempt a pass or even see a teammate) on 2 guys and semi dekes them/loses the puck and then takes a semi flub shot that glances off a skate a finds 5 hole.

If his name was Viktor Stalov and he was from Moscow 20 bucks says you'd have a much different opinion of him.

What's :laugh: is that that guy has played pretty well defensively and contributed on offense yet you continue to insist on sticking with your hilariously off-base analysis of what he brings to the table.

Stalberg has been a decent middle-six player at times in his career and seems to fit well with what we're doing here. Thus far he has proven worthy of a roster spot (another :laugh: to those that suggested he should be a healthy scratch or waived outright) and has been a positive contributor.

defensively he's been ok. he needs to be on the 4th line only. hell do well there playing against stiffs and getting his 12 mins of ice time.

i never said he can't play, i just have always said he's big and dumb and will never score much. he's where pucks go to die. on the 4th line, on this team, he's good.

any higher, and he's a horror show.

You literally just said he's been awful. You just said he's a really bad hockey player. You're full of it.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
I'm sorry.

he's been awful. really.

He did not have support on that play. He made the right play there.
Zucc goal was lucky, same with Staal and Fast. All three made the right play at the right time.
Most goals in the NHL have a luck/dirty-ness to them. It is not all off-wing snipes.
Tell him he made a bad play and next time he should make a nice curl to the point and wait for help.
SMS line is one of the better 4th lines in the league right now.
I do like Viktor on the 4th line better then the 3rd.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Judging his body of work against how he's played for us is the problem. I like what he brings since Pouliot left. Size, speed, skill, board work.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Judging his body of work against how he's played for us is the problem. I like what he brings since Pouliot left.

Yup never look at what a player did more then one season prior. VS got bought out last year and now he is playing solid minutes to money. Is he playing like he did on CHI? No but NYR have a solid 4th line now. Any of the 3 can move up and down the roster when needed. Top two lines need to work themselves out, then the third will fall into place but the 4th is set.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If his name was Viktor Stalov and he was from Moscow 20 bucks says you'd have a much different opinion of him.

What's :laugh: is that that guy has played pretty well defensively and contributed on offense yet you continue to insist on sticking with your hilariously off-base analysis of what he brings to the table.

Stalberg has been a decent middle-six player at times in his career and seems to fit well with what we're doing here. Thus far he has proven worthy of a roster spot (another :laugh: to those that suggested he should be a healthy scratch or waived outright) and has been a positive contributor.

You literally just said he's been awful. You just said he's a really bad hockey player. You're full of it.

bad hockey player and can't play at all is different.

hes a bad hockey player when ever he needs to use his stick

there. better ?

i continue to stick with what i know and have seen with own eyes. he's dumb and clueless most of the time and more so when he needs to use his stick. on the 4th line, he's fine. any higher, he's useless.

andi like swedish players for the most part so the fact that he isn't russian is silly. there are dumb russian players too.

stalberg is a dumb swede though. the anti-swede if you will lol.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Love Stalberg. I know people said he was quick but I didn't realize how fast he was along with how big he is. Always finishes checks and is in on the forecheck. Pretty much the ideal third line winger to me.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
when not playing with super skilled line mates,

His most common linemates have been Andrew Shaw, Bryan Bickell, Colin Wilson, and Eric Nystrom. Swing and a miss.

The Stalberg-Shaw-Bickell line was one of the more dominant 3rd lines in recent memory. Without Stalberg, Shaw has become a 4th liner and Bickell can't crack the lineup at all.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
His most common linemates have been Andrew Shaw, Bryan Bickell, Colin Wilson, and Eric Nystrom. Swing and a miss.

The Stalberg-Shaw-Bickell line was one of the more dominant 3rd lines in recent memory. Without Stalberg, Shaw has become a 4th liner and Bickell can't crack the lineup at all.

his most effective numbers came when playing with some clowns named toews and kane.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
his most effective numbers came when playing with some clowns named toews and kane.

Completely incorrect.

In 11-12 he had 18-31-39 at even strength. He had 19 points in 401 minutes of ice time with Toews (21 mins per point). Yet he had 12 points in 262 minutes with Kruger (21 mins per point). There's essentially no overlap here as the 3 of them played together for a total of 54 seconds that year. (And Kane-Kruger-Stalberg only had a total of 7 minutes together so that's not a concern either)

The year after 12-13 was the lockout year and he scored at a similar pace (9-14-23 in 47 games). He was 9-10-19 at even strength playing a total of 537 minutes. He played 23 minutes all year with Toews and also 23 minutes all year with Kane. As mentioned by Machinehead he played over 400 minutes each (~80% of his EV ice time) with Bickell and Shaw.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He's been good. I was extremely disappointed when we first signed him as I always thought he kind of sucked, but he's proving me wrong in a big way. Great pickup for just $1M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad