Videogame Thread #4 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): A New Start

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Does anyone remember that NBA Jam style hockey game? I believe it was call Open Ice Challenge maybe on PS1. I'd buy a new version of tgat.

check out old time hockey. it just came out in March and NBA jam style hockey game is the perfect description of it. actually a cross between nhl 94 with better graphics and NBA jam is an apt description. I believe it's only 10 bucks too on ps4 and Xbox1 stores. it's an incredibly fun arcade hockey game I've been having a blast with it. all the players and teams are created but the game play is so damn fun especially against friends.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
check out old time hockey. it just came out in March and NBA jam style hockey game is the perfect description of it. actually a cross between nhl 94 with better graphics and NBA jam is an apt description. I believe it's only 10 bucks too on ps4 and Xbox1 stores. it's an incredibly fun arcade hockey game I've been having a blast with it. all the players and teams are created but the game play is so damn fun especially against friends.

I'll have to check it out.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I got the Intellivision collection for the PS2 or 3 a few years ago - it did not hold up to my childhood memories lol. Hopefully you have better luck.

Yeah some of the old games are very disappointing. When my son was born last summer I spent the months leading up to buying up old games. Some are still as fun as ever (MarioKart, all the Sonic Games, Crazy Taxi, Mortal Kombat Series, Marvel v. Capcom series) but some are not (StarFox, StarFox64, Skitchin').

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I found this in an arcade machine games museum a few weeks ago - played this for a few hours. Hasek was such a frustrating hole in the net :laugh:

I don't remember what team I played as. For the NHL series games I was always the Flyers, but I feel like I may have played as the Blues with Brett Hull and maybe Pierre Turgeon? I'll have to let you know once I get the game in the mail!

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I don't remember what team I played as. For the NHL series games I was always the Flyers, but I feel like I may have played as the Blues with Brett Hull and maybe Pierre Turgeon? I'll have to let you know once I get the game in the mail!

I scored a quite a few double hattricks with Eric Desjardins that day (!!!). Fun noon

(as I am googling it, Desjardins was only in the arcade version. On PC/PS, Leclair was ingame instead)

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The Division kinda has the feel. Maybe Warframe if you're up for paying for platinum (to help move the game along and still keep it fun). You could always go for Tales from the Borderlands as well.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Division kinda has the feel. Maybe Warframe if you're up for paying for platinum (to help move the game along and still keep it fun). You could always go for Tales from the Borderlands as well.

I have the Pre-Sequel, but haven't finished it yet. The Division looks cool from the video I am watching, especially if it is open world and single player. With Warframe, is it only an online deal like WoW? Sometimes with those I have problems here because the servers are all in Thai and I can't understand a word of it. I tried to join LoL and DOTA (or something) a while ago and it was a mess trying to join the North American server.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I have the Pre-Sequel, but haven't finished it yet. The Division looks cool from the video I am watching, especially if it is open world and single player. With Warframe, is it only an online deal like WoW? Sometimes with those I have problems here because the servers are all in Thai and I can't understand a word of it. I tried to join LoL and DOTA (or something) a while ago and it was a mess trying to join the North American server.

Good. Stay away from LoL. You won't find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy in a gaming community.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Try Heroes of the Storm if you are interested in playing a MOBA like LoL or DOTA. The games are much quicker paced, and it is in general much more noob friendly than those 2. I would never recommend anyone to try to play LoL or DOTA unless they had friends that were willing to play with them. The learning curve is too steep and the players on those game are among the most toxic I've ever encountered in any gaming community.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Dota2 has a chat wheel and ping system you can use to communicate fairly effectively on basically any server. Even servers like USEast were mostly Peruvians for years, so that may not have helped. With that being said, I would not start it unless you want to do a deep dive and learn so much your head explodes. I have 862 hours in it and I feel like I'm still awful.

Try Path of Exile if you liked Diablo back in the day, but for the love of god, follow a build. It's almost impossible to make one that works on your own your first time through. I like complicated. :laugh:

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I love Diablo to death - it's one of my favorites - but I don't actually want to play online at all :laugh: I don't like to play any games online. The very last thing I want to do when I am playing something is interact with other people - the reason I play these games is to forget that other people exist :laugh: Back when I was looking at them, I was just trying to find something cool to play, but I have Steam and a Steam controller for my desktop hooked up to my TV and that's enough now. I actually can't stop playing Eastside Hockey Manager anyway, I'm addicted as hell, and I'll probably play Football Manager or Out of the Park Baseball after this.

One thing I wouldn't mind playing online is Terraria, because I might be the best Terraria player in the world :yo: It wouldn't make an ounce of sense online, though lol.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I love Diablo to death - it's one of my favorites - but I don't actually want to play online at all :laugh:

Funny you say this. A decent portion of the crowd it caters to thinks the same way, so Solo Self Found (SSF) is actually a thing in PoE. It's a checkmark when you create the character and it prevents you from playing with anyone else, trading, etc. The online aspect basically exists in this case to prevent item dupes and/or hacks. Getting to maximum level is something only a tiny percentage ever do. It's very much a retro-style experience, which is probably why I like it so much.

The game is also free and the microtransactions are purely cosmetic and extra storage space. I would suggest anyone who tried it and enjoyed it buy a Currency Tab and if not SSF, a Premium Tab for easy item sales.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad