Videogame Thread #4 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): A New Start

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Has anyone played Final Fantasy XV? I was a huge fan but after XIII I lost interest. Or I guess when I played XIII and didn't like it I lost interest. Gets good reviews but I really like the old school VII and IX type of game (VIII too but VII and IX are my favorite). Is it anything like the PSOne era games?

Yup I have been playing since September. Logged about 65 hours so far. Beat the game already but there are countless side quests you can go back and do. Its a GREAT game. My favorite since VII to be honest. Its nothing like the PS1 games though. Youll have to embrace the change..its worth it.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The first time I played Eastside Hockey Manager, when the new one first came out, it was before the 2015 draft and our roster was a complete mess, much worse than it is now. I blew it up and built around McDavid, Hanifin, Puljujarvi and Ghost. I had Konecny too, believe it or not. I won 23 Cups to pass Montreal and then rested for a bit.

I just started a new one with the updated rosters. I'm not going to get McDavid now, obviously - he's a POS. I wasn't sure how I wanted to do this one, so I just blew it up again and tanked like hell for 2016-17, and I'm in the middle of tanking the follow-up as well. It's not easy trying to juggle the development of the young players and lose every game at the same time lol. I sent AMac to Reading out of spite, but he'd actually be helping me lose, so I might bring him back.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If anyone else is playing EHM, I found this scheme on The Blue Line and started using it - it is working like a charm through the first regular season with it. It isn't quite as safe from injuries as the one I was using before, but it's not bad in that regard either. I'm flying with it.

Hey guys! Love this game, but I found myself struggling hard with tactics/practice/players early on - not so much that I couldn’t ice a competitive team, more so that I couldn’t win the whole darn thing. Ever. I must have played through 50 seasons without any luck - but finally I’ve hit on a success formula, which I’d thought I’d share.

Here’s what I did:

1. Players: The most important part is team-wide skill and speed - its the sole focus, d-men and forwards. I aim for lines 1-4 (and the entire defense) to be composed entirely of players with a minimum of 13 (ideally 15 or higher, especially with speed) in speed, acceleration, stick-handling and passing. Every other consideration, including size, is secondary to those 4 traits. Set your lineup however you’d like - I typically try to balance out the scoring among all four lines, but I don’t think it matters greatly.

2. Practice: For all players, I have them practice intensely on conditioning, skating, offensive and defensive skills. Everything else medium. Coaches are evenly spread among each practice type, with an extra priority put on skating.

3. Tactics: Leave the positioning, forecheck, etc set to their defaults - you want to play a simple, position-based game. Share ice time equally - power play and regular strength. Roll those lines! Set team-wide tactics (no unit tactics) to the following:
- Gap Control - tight
- Backchecking - hard
- Passing - creative
- Dumping the Puck - rarely (very rarely if you have good offensive d-men)
As far as personal tactics go, I choose the shoot/pass bias based on what they’re best at, and everyone should be able to carry the puck and join the rush. I'll give the odd tough guy permission to hit hard, and the odd sniper permission to shoot a bit more, but otherwise I don't deviate from the defaults.

What you end up with is a defensively solid team (the backchecking and gap control, combined with overall team speed, seems to disrupt everything the other team tries to do) capable of quick breakouts and nasty counter attacks. They’ll almost always outshoot the opponent, putting less pressure on you to find a dynamite goalie. Seems to cut down on injuries too, I'm guessing the more even distribution of ice time helps with that but I'm not sure. Hope it wins someone some cups!

The Blue Line

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I hope in the next nhl they take out that stupid moral ********, i built a dynasty through drafting amd everyone wanted to be traded amd or their overalls dropped because the lowest overall forward was an 86 overall and was on my 4th line, makes gm mode unenjoyable when you have that ****

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

That is actually me in a nutshell :laugh:

tumblr_nb9kkz1TJR1rbrys3o1_500.gif

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Anyone into PC gaming? I'm building my first computer tonight. Dropped a lot of money on this baby so I can't wait to finally use it.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Anyone into PC gaming? I'm building my first computer tonight. Dropped a lot of money on this baby so I can't wait to finally use it.

I built my computer like 5 years ago, first time I attempted to do such a thing, was way easier than I expected it to be. But agree with the above. Let's see some specs bruh

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
MLB The Show is by far the best sports game to me.

I like NHL just for EASHL ( I don't play any of the offline modes or versus), but The Show by far has the best offline modes. I haven't dabbled in franchise mode yet, but RTTS is the best "be a pro" mode out there.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I think I asked this before, but has anyone played Out Of the Park baseball?

Last time I played it was '14 I believe. Very good game, on par with Football Manager IMO, and better than EHM. All of that is in terms of the game itself, and it's obviously going to change depending on how much you like each sport individually.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Last time I played it was '14 I believe. Very good game, on par with Football Manager IMO, and better than EHM. All of that is in terms of the game itself, and it's obviously going to change depending on how much you like each sport individually.

Yeah, that's what I have heard from most places. Baseball just lends itself so well to this kind of thing. Like I said before, I played the old "Pursue the Pennant" game, which was a board-game version of this sort of game, and it was spectacular.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Yeah, that's what I have heard from most places. Baseball just lends itself so well to this kind of thing. Like I said before, I played the old "Pursue the Pennant" game, which was a board-game version of this sort of game, and it was spectacular.

Biggest plus IMO is the customization aspect. There are multiple rules you can change (eventually I added the DH to the National League), expansion, roster expansion, etc. I believe the "rules committee" organically suggests rule changes as well, but you always have final say in implementing them.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
We need some specs up in this *****! :laugh:

I built my computer like 5 years ago, first time I attempted to do such a thing, was way easier than I expected it to be. But agree with the above. Let's see some specs bruh

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/md6CvV

So that's the last one I had saved. I think it's pretty much what I got barring a few minor changes I might've made. Took about 3 hours or so to get it up and going. For some reason the CPU cooler was the trickiest part.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I like NHL just for EASHL ( I don't play any of the offline modes or versus), but The Show by far has the best offline modes. I haven't dabbled in franchise mode yet, but RTTS is the best "be a pro" mode out there.

I play eashl as well as franchise mode, as i stated i love franchise mode, except for the player moral ********, i built a dynasty through drafting and trading, but yet a 90 overall dman on the 2nd pair cries and wants a trade, amd so does an 88 overall on the 3rd line, its stupid that their overall drops as well as trade value when they are upset, i wish theyd turn that off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad