Videogame Thread #4 (PSN/Gamertags/Steam): A New Start

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Funny you say this. A decent portion of the crowd it caters to thinks the same way, so Solo Self Found (SSF) is actually a thing in PoE. It's a checkmark when you create the character and it prevents you from playing with anyone else, trading, etc. The online aspect basically exists in this case to prevent item dupes and/or hacks. Getting to maximum level is something only a tiny percentage ever do. It's very much a retro-style experience, which is probably why I like it so much.

The game is also free and the microtransactions are purely cosmetic and extra storage space. I would suggest anyone who tried it and enjoyed it buy a Currency Tab and if not SSF, a Premium Tab for easy item sales.

I watched part of a video on PoE and it looks like it is similar to Diablo 2, where you can use a mouse to click on a spot to move your character - is that right? That would be incredible. I have a terrible time using keyboard and mouse because my fingers are all over the place - I'm a self-taught typist, and while I can fly like crazy when I am writing, my fingers are very loose.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I watched part of a video on PoE and it looks like it is similar to Diablo 2, where you can use a mouse to click on a spot to move your character - is that right? That would be incredible. I have a terrible time using keyboard and mouse because my fingers are all over the place - I'm a self-taught typist, and while I can fly like crazy when I am writing, my fingers are very loose.

It's the successor to Diablo 2. That's exactly what they set out to make. In fact, the initial investment for the game studio came from selling Diablo 2 items. :laugh:

3.0 launches around July. That would be the perfect time to try it out.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's the successor to Diablo 2. That's exactly what they set out to make. In fact, the initial investment for the game studio came from selling Diablo 2 items. :laugh:

3.0 launches around July. That would be the perfect time to try it out.

It really looks cool, thanks for the heads up :yo: I'm starting grad school in September probably, so I may have to put it off a while lol.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
While the division is sort of like BL2 I would recommend you stay far away.
I REALLY enjoyed the game through the tutorial island. After that the rest of the game feels like an unfinished mess.
Enemies are all pure bullet sponges, have hidden stats that vastly effect their shown level without reflecting it, there's a ton of issues with the game.

I just started playing BL2 again since it was free on XB1. I forgot how awesome it is. I don't get to game often with new family life so I'm sitting here waiting for the Switch to get some legit games other than the legend of Zelda.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
While the division is sort of like BL2 I would recommend you stay far away.
I REALLY enjoyed the game through the tutorial island. After that the rest of the game feels like an unfinished mess.
Enemies are all pure bullet sponges, have hidden stats that vastly effect their shown level without reflecting it, there's a ton of issues with the game.

I just started playing BL2 again since it was free on XB1. I forgot how awesome it is. I don't get to game often with new family life so I'm sitting here waiting for the Switch to get some legit games other than the legend of Zelda.

It's awesome, isn't it? With the first one, it took me some time to get the feel of it, and it was so hard at first. I'm not a great gamer by any means - my fingers are too wild, and I get very scared pretty easily lol, but some games I get a feel for and can kill it. And I always, always play on easy or normal mode (except for Diablo 3, which I destroyed on every mode), because normally I can't manage my fear or spastic reactions when too much is thrown at me. In BL1, those ****ing skank dogs drove me absolutely mental for the longest time, but once I figured out how I could best deal with them, it was fine. I love the weapons in that game and grinding for them was a joy (I'm not sure if I am using the term "grinding" correctly, because I am old now). That one area, I can't remember the name - "Old" something - where they had all the streets and all the enemy soldiers - that was a nightmare, but it was also just the coolest experience. The whole story in it is just awesome too. It's just a perfect franchise for me.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I started playing "Paths of Exile" a couple of hours ago. Found it pretty addicting.
Then I saw this:

"Frosted Two-Point Arrow Quiver of the Mongoose"

Now I'm crack-addicted.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I apologize for ruining your life. I've spent 3 hours spam clicking currency crafting an item. :laugh:

Loot filters help immensely by the way. The most popular one is https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1246208

I couldn't afford that thing (the quiver) and then it disappeared when I came back. It's just as well, because I am sure I would level past its usefulness soon and I wouldn't be able to let it go for far too long.

You know that microtransaction you told me about that helps you filter your stash - what was that? Is it something just for your stash in town? I'm guessing you can't take it with you. I always end up picking up everything to sell and then running back and forth from town lol (and that filter will help with that).

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I couldn't afford that thing (the quiver) and then it disappeared when I came back. It's just as well, because I am sure I would level past its usefulness soon and I wouldn't be able to let it go for far too long.

You know that microtransaction you told me about that helps you filter your stash - what was that? Is it something just for your stash in town? I'm guessing you can't take it with you. I always end up picking up everything to sell and then running back and forth from town lol (and that filter will help with that).

Yeah, really the one I would say is almost required as a quality of life option is one currency tab. Instead of having a billion stacks of 20 of each Orb/Shard, you get:

hqdefault.jpg

If you want to buy more stash tabs than that, just wait for a sale.

By the way, your gear should largely be about links between sockets, as support gems scale damage for ability gems exponentially, and defense because you absolutely, positively will die without it. Try to cap your resistances (or at least come close) if you can. The cap is always 75%, but with each game difficulty level above Normal, you are imposed a penalty. Just check your Lightning/Cold/Fire Res and the number showed in the defenses tab before any parentheses will always include the penalty.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, really the one I would say is almost required as a quality of life option is one currency tab. Instead of having a billion stacks of 20 of each Orb/Shard, you get:

hqdefault.jpg

If you want to buy more stash tabs than that, just wait for a sale.

By the way, your gear should largely be about links between sockets, as support gems scale damage for ability gems exponentially, and defense because you absolutely, positively will die without it. Try to cap your resistances (or at least come close) if you can. The cap is always 75%, but with each game difficulty level above Normal, you are imposed a penalty. Just check your Lightning/Cold/Fire Res and the number showed in the defenses tab before any parentheses will always include the penalty.

Thanks, mate - I have to go to sleep, but I will look into it tomorrow. I think a lot of this will make more sense when I get a little more experience playing - like I have seen some people talking about crafting and I don't really know what they mean (unless they just mean collecting piles of the pieces that will make the various orbs, etc.)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Thanks, mate - I have to go to sleep, but I will look into it tomorrow. I think a lot of this will make more sense when I get a little more experience playing - like I have seen some people talking about crafting and I don't really know what they mean (unless they just mean collecting piles of the pieces that will make the various orbs, etc.)

No problem at all. And yeah, it's all complicated. Don't hesitate to ask anything at all.

Don't even worry about crafting yet. It's quite complicated as well. Each Orb does something different -- some reroll stat values, some reroll the stats themselves, one is even entirely random. To give you an idea, the chances of crafting ideal values of are minuscule, but this is how you would craft an endgame chest:

ZhyZJnB_d.jpg

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
If you liked Bioshock, System Shock, or Half Life, you should get the new Prey. It's awesome

Been playing quite a bit of it, liking it so far, but I find it to be tedious. And I like getting a little tuned up and just flying around in space... but some of them walking Nightmare's and Phantoms can be a royal pain in the butt to dispose of if you can't find health before hand.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Have not been able to stop playing Injustice 2. NetherRealm are officially the new kings of the fighting game genre as far as i'm concerned.

Now they and Warner Bros just need to pry the rights to Marvel away from Capcom so we can get the Marvel vs. DC masterpiece that the world desperately needs.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Hey all, wanted to post this here as it seems like something some people here could enjoy. I play in a competitive NHL 17 EASHL league. They keep track of stats game to game, have end of season awards, a Live Draft, complete with a Draft Show and Analysis. Weekly Highlight videos, and multiple weekly live talk-shows about anything and everything going on in the league. And a great tight knit community. While it is a competitive league, the skill-range is pretty wide. So even if you are not the greatest, if you are just looking to have fun and play with some solid guys who will bust your balls here and there and vice-versa, you can find a role.

We play Sunday thru Thursday, 2 nights per week, 3 games a night at 10PM EST. If you don't want to commit to 2 nights a week, you can sign up Part Time where you are only able to play 1 night per week. Any conflicts in schedule is not a big deal, there is a spot on the sign up sheet for you to indicate days you can't make. You could say I can't play Tuesday's and you'll never be expected to play Tuesday's. Teams are small, 6-7 guys per, so you're playing with the same guys all the time. And there are no rules as to what you can't do in game, unlike some other leagues. Seasons are short, depending on the number of teams it should only be about a month to a month and a half long. Not a very big commitment at all, unless you want it to be.

On a personal note, I joined this league a few months ago, this upcoming season will be my 3rd in the league. My first year I just played my games, watched the media stuff. I had a really good time just being your average member. Last season I volunteered to captain a team, and work with the media, and I've had a blast with it. My team I picked won the cup, I've been heavily involved in the highlight videos, and am now a regular on the Thursday Night show. It's awesome.

If this is appealing to you, please hit me up via a PM here, BEFORE you sign up, as you need a reference to join, and since I am responsible for anyone that uses my name as a reference I will want to play at least a game or 2 with you prior to it. All that being said, check out www.239hockey.net for more info. Also signups close for next season Sunday and the Draft will be Thursday.

Here are some of our media shows as well, obviously no need to watch the whole thing since you have no idea who any of these people are, but just to get an idea of what makes us so awesome;

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
If I had the time I'd jump in the dip my toes. Scheduling anything is out of the cards for me though.

Yea I hear that, we are down a bit in signups due to it being the summer season, lots of people having long vacations and stuff. But, if you are interested and you just want to play when ya can, sign up and just put it down that you aren't sure about your schedule and when you can play and leave it at that. If you have days you will for sure miss put those down. That's acceptable theres a decent amount of guys in there that have that. Up to you though. Thanks for the interest regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad