Video game sections you will never do again.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I played 2 for the first time this summer via the Pixel Remaster. I'm not sure broken is the right word since it generally functions...but that doesn't change the fact it's one of the dumbest progression systems i have ever seen.

I got overpowered fairly early in and then i realized if you kill enemies too fast you get no exp. Is that not the f***ing point of a JRPG? to learn how to kill enemies as efficiently as possible?

Easily the worst game in the franchise.
You can level up against level 1 enemies by attacking your teammates. Tbh I kind of liked it when i was younger. It was like I was figuring out the game. Then I discovered everybody knew that trick. They kept this in the GBA version too so they obviously have known about it forever and choose to keep it in.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
When Elden Ring is what you put on to relax that's says A LOT about Landstalker.

I'd never played ER before. Last night i was at Linne's Rise or something like that and big magic balls appeared out of nowhere and crushed me. Repeatedly. And I STILL found it more relaxing than Landstalker.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
There was at least one part near the end of FFXV that was so bad that I believe it has since been patched out.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
There's a glitch for this that lets you get the trophy even when playing on a lower difficulty.
I'm surprised I haven't come across it when I looked at about a thousand different tutorials for the perfect way to go through the plane. I think I'll give it a try again one day.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Most of the quests of Runescape.

The lore is silly, inconsistent, and boring. The quests are pretty much just clicking through dialogue options until you get to the next step in the guide that you're using.

It's what has always stopped me from making a second account. I just can't be assed to re-do any of these cumbersome and annoying quests.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm surprised I haven't come across it when I looked at about a thousand different tutorials for the perfect way to go through the plane. I think I'll give it a try again one day.
If you're not cheating you're not trying.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Mission 7 in Valkyrie chronicles and to a lesser extent mission 13. Trying to make it out with all of your troops alive is a nightmare.

Those ones were not so bad, Stay away from Selvaria, use a smoke grenade to help cover your troops there. Then use scouts to throw grenades into the massive tanks radiators as I recall.

As for 13, overpowered scouts are key... though that is true for most of the game's levels.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I always thought the Water Temple's difficulty was overhyped, the last two from Majora's Mask are harder imo.

As for my answer, almost everything I did in FFXIV before quitting the game after over 100 hours. I liked the main multiplayer missions and trials but everything in between is among the most boring filler I've ever put myself through. This was my first traditional MMO and probably my last.

If I had to pick something from a game I actually like, probably the night levels from Sonic Unleashed.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I played 2 for the first time this summer via the Pixel Remaster. I'm not sure broken is the right word since it generally functions...but that doesn't change the fact it's one of the dumbest progression systems i have ever seen.

I got overpowered fairly early in and then i realized if you kill enemies too fast you get no exp. Is that not the f***ing point of a JRPG? to learn how to kill enemies as efficiently as possible?

Easily the worst game in the franchise.
Same here, I bought the Pixel Remaster collection this spring/summer. Finished I, which was good, then gave FFII a go and was like what the f*** is this shit? I was so burnt out that I skipped 3 and went right back to familiar territory with IV and VI.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
About a half of every Assassin's Creed game.
*Tail this person without being seen for a good 10 minutes*

*Oh no he saw you, restart from the beginning*

I love Assassin's Creed but I also hate Assassin's Creed at the same time, which I think is a sentiment that anyone who's played the game can empathize with.

Other things I hate are unskippable opening sequences, like Colter in RDR2. It definitely helps the narrative and helps new players ease into the world and mechanisms of the game, but sometimes I want to start up a new game to wreak havoc and f*** around in New Hanover and don't want to spend two hours first trudging through the snow and shooting wolves before my sandbox is available. I ended up just keeping a save state on the game from afterwards and start from there when I want to screw around.

The opening level of Mega Man X too, having to complete that crap before you can choose a level and start to play for real is so annoying every time I download the ROM.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I always thought the Water Temple's difficulty was overhyped, the last two from Majora's Mask are harder imo.

As for my answer, almost everything I did in FFXIV before quitting the game after over 100 hours. I liked the main multiplayer missions and trials but everything in between is among the most boring filler I've ever put myself through. This was my first traditional MMO and probably my last.

If I had to pick something from a game I actually like, probably the night levels from Sonic Unleashed.

But when did you play the water temple? in 1998? or years later? Context matters because if it was years later then no, of course It's not difficult they fixed it in later versions.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Same here, I bought the Pixel Remaster collection this spring/summer. Finished I, which was good, then gave FFII a go and was like what the f*** is this shit? I was so burnt out that I skipped 3 and went right back to familiar territory with IV and VI.
3 was actually pretty good. Goes back to FF1 just with the job system thrown on top of it.

Definitely recommend giving a go when you get the chance

But when did you play the water temple? in 1998? or years later? Context matters because if it was years later then no, of course It's not difficult they fixed it in later versions.
The original one wasn't difficult either. That's just a you problem.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Also, an I the only one who never had a single problem with the RC Helicopter mission in Vice City? Everyone curses it like it's that impossible level from Battletoads but I've never had an difficulty with it back to 2002 when I first played it.

The real bitch of a GTA RC flying mission was Zero's mission in San andreas where you have to shoot all of the couriers with a toy plane. Up until the definitive edition remasters it was completely glitched so you run out of fuel at twice the intended rate, so I failed that a hundred times and had to listen to David Cross yelling CURSE YOU BERKLEY!" until I wanted to throw my PS2 out the window.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
3 was actually pretty good. Goes back to FF1 just with the job system thrown on top of it.

Definitely recommend giving a go when you get the chance

The original one wasn't difficult either. That's just a you problem.
Yes. FF3 is super underrated and is very worth playing for anyone into retro RPG's.

The Famicom original is totally unforgiving and I love it for that. Underleveled or with the wrong jobs? ABSOLUTELY BITCHSLAPPED. The remakes are easier (I have the DS version on my phone lol) but you'll still die if you don't know what you're doing.

Also, an I the only one who never had a single problem with the RC Helicopter mission in Vice City? Everyone curses it like it's that impossible level from Battletoads but I've never had an difficulty with it back to 2002 when I first played it.

The real bitch of a GTA RC flying mission was Zero's mission in San andreas where you have to shoot all of the couriers with a toy plane. Up until the definitive edition remasters it was completely glitched so you run out of fuel at twice the intended rate, so I failed that a hundred times and had to listen to David Cross yelling CURSE YOU BERKLEY!" until I wanted to throw my PS2 out the window.
lol you gotta narrow it down because much of the game is pretty much impossible.

If you mean "basically for real actually impossible without a CRT and/or emulator tricks/slowdowns" then you might be referring to Clinger Winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad