Video game sections you will never do again.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Ah yes that bladed tower in God of War, actually my favorite series of all time but yes that section can f*** off.

So I'm guessing you won't be pissing up the rumored remake/remaster.

Never heard of it sounds like a pain in the ass.

Haha, nah, but I've never been big on remakes and remasters to begin with.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Haha, nah, but I've never been big on remakes and remasters to begin with.

Your quote me notice I wrote "pissing up" when I meant "picking up."

As for remakes and remasters I don't mind them because they give people a chance to play games they missed like me and metal gear solid.

Now that I own the Metal gear solid master collection I can go back and play those games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
3 was actually pretty good. Goes back to FF1 just with the job system thrown on top of it.

Definitely recommend giving a go when you get the chance
Yes FF3 was good in a similar way to 1, though while the job system was nice it was the original version of it with none of the interesting multi-classing options later games had. It was more of a straight 'class change' than it was a 'job system'.

Kind of a hard topic for me though as I don't tend to replay games. Speaking of old JRPG's though I recall about 10 years ago I gave Phantasy 2 another go but without any cheating or map books - game had the largest maze like dungeons of any JRPG. But I made an exception for the 'falling' tower where rather than a maze you walked the long way around the outside then at the top you got access to the hole in the middle which you had to blindly fall down back to the bottom, hopefully landing on the platforms you need before doing it all over again.

Not as bad as 'the balls' though. As a kid Landstalker was a good game but I only ever rented it, and thankfully never got to that part. From what I recall the last place I was stuck in was some forest hedge maze area.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not so much a section as a whole game - Diablo Immortal. At its core, it’s a solid game that runs well for a mobile game. But it’s so bogged down by busy work - like hey remember how we gave you 10 things to do? Let’s up it to 30 now! Just mindless checklists of things to do to progress. The micro transactions didn’t help either.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The bladed tower in GOW1 wasn't too bad since you just get knocked down if you screw up. I want to say i got past it within a few minutes.

The part that comes iirc a little bit before it, however...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I like replaying Fire Emblem games but I will never as long as I live touch Fire Emblem Awakening's Apotheosis DLC again.

I was so in love with Awakening when it came out and it fully validated my 3DS purchase on its own. I wanted to clear all the content, including my DLC purchases.

Apotheosis is brutal as it requires you to minmax the f*** out of your units' stats and have the right skills (which you need hours of grinding to obtain all the right ones as well) on top of a pretty challenging strategy. I did eventually beat it after an absurd amount of grinding but by the time I was done I was super burned out on Fire Emblem in general. I've heard some levels in that game on Lunatic+ difficulty are even worse so I'm never going to try.

EDIT: Also, as a related aside, I'm more than likely never going to play Fire Emblem Engage again. The gameplay itself is fine, but...the best way I can say this is Fire Emblem storytelling works well if presented in one of two ways: 1. The story is intentionally narrow in scope because it's not aiming to tell some branching narrative, it's just giving a little flavor to the collection of maps you're playing through and the characters you use or 2. It tells a branching narrative with loving care given to develop each of its characters so you feel emotionally connected with the overarching conflict and the units you send to battle.

Fire Emblem Three Houses hit the mark on that second method in a big way. The writing wasn't flawless by any means but I greatly enjoyed it. The 3ds set of games had Awakening and Shadows of Valentia be more in the first storytelling vein while Fates bumbled as it tried to reach the quality Three Houses achieved.

Engage falls somewhere in this shitty middle where you see that they aimed at the same quality of storytelling as its predecessor but suffered from an obvious lack of a duplication of writing effort and in some truly horrendous dialogue writing too. The end result is a big bucket of characters I couldn't give a f*** about with a story that feels less than half baked. It's such a decline in quality that it's offensive enough to make me not want to bother with combat that is about the same as what I'd find in Three Houses.

Just wanted to vent because just thinking about Engage pissed me off.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not so much a section as a whole game - Diablo Immortal. At its core, it’s a solid game that runs well for a mobile game. But it’s so bogged down by busy work - like hey remember how we gave you 10 things to do? Let’s up it to 30 now! Just mindless checklists of things to do to progress. The micro transactions didn’t help either.
Lol I played that for two days before finding out about the micro transaction fiasco. Dropped it and just paid 30 bucks for Diablo 3 on Switch. Hardly a difference for me.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Quite a few people here clearly never made it to the Challenge of the Gods round against the Gorgons or the Satyrs (8 & 10)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Shinra building in FF7R. What was one of my favorite sections in the original FF7 game became one of my most disliked sections of any video game in the remake.

There were parts that felt unnecessary and like nothing more than artificial length. It was tedious and the sole reason I will never replay FF7R.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Yes FF3 was good in a similar way to 1, though while the job system was nice it was the original version of it with none of the interesting multi-classing options later games had. It was more of a straight 'class change' than it was a 'job system'.

Kind of a hard topic for me though as I don't tend to replay games. Speaking of old JRPG's though I recall about 10 years ago I gave Phantasy 2 another go but without any cheating or map books - game had the largest maze like dungeons of any JRPG. But I made an exception for the 'falling' tower where rather than a maze you walked the long way around the outside then at the top you got access to the hole in the middle which you had to blindly fall down back to the bottom, hopefully landing on the platforms you need before doing it all over again.

Not as bad as 'the balls' though. As a kid Landstalker was a good game but I only ever rented it, and thankfully never got to that part. From what I recall the last place I was stuck in was some forest hedge maze area.
Great game.

It didn't age all that well but a great game.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes. FF3 is super underrated and is very worth playing for anyone into retro RPG's.

The Famicom original is totally unforgiving and I love it for that. Underleveled or with the wrong jobs? ABSOLUTELY BITCHSLAPPED. The remakes are easier (I have the DS version on my phone lol) but you'll still die if you don't know what you're doing.

lol you gotta narrow it down because much of the game is pretty much impossible.

If you mean "basically for real actually impossible without a CRT and/or emulator tricks/slowdowns" then you might be referring to Clinger Winger.
The only thing i disliked about 3 is it feels like you're hamfisted in to specific jobs for certain boss fights. Only way to cleanly beat Garuda is to hard switch to a party of full of dragoons since you can't survive its lightning attack at that point in the game and jump it. Or the one asshole where you need either a scholar or a white mage with Libra to expose his weakness.

That and Cloud of Darkness being a lame ass HP sponge that has no real strategy outside of "pray you can survive enough to spam Curaja and shurikens until it explodes." Lame compared to the shit we'd get later like Zeromus, Exdeath, Kefka (while not being hard at all is at least epic in its scale)

Combine that with the absolute meat grinder of the final dungeon in older variations of the game...sounds like pure hell

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Also, an I the only one who never had a single problem with the RC Helicopter mission in Vice City? Everyone curses it like it's that impossible level from Battletoads but I've never had an difficulty with it back to 2002 when I first played it.

The real bitch of a GTA RC flying mission was Zero's mission in San andreas where you have to shoot all of the couriers with a toy plane. Up until the definitive edition remasters it was completely glitched so you run out of fuel at twice the intended rate, so I failed that a hundred times and had to listen to David Cross yelling CURSE YOU BERKLEY!" until I wanted to throw my PS2 out the window.
I never had any issues with the RC missions, well the plane was tough until they fixed it, I actually hated the defending the antenna towers from the RC planes more than I hated using the RC vehicles and that includes VC.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The only thing i disliked about 3 is it feels like you're hamfisted in to specific jobs for certain boss fights.
Thats exactly what they did. No mercy and no tolerance for failure. Kind of Japanese in that way.
Only way to cleanly beat Garuda is to hard switch to a party of full of dragoons since you can't survive its lightning attack at that point in the game and jump it.
Yup, and it's still hard even with 4 dragoons. I usually grind a bit at that part.
Or the one asshole where you need either a scholar or a white mage with Libra to expose his weak point.
That's Hein/Hyne. Total prick in the original, you need a lot of luck.
That and Cloud of Darkness being a lame ass HP sponge that has no real strategy outside of "pray you can survive enough to spam Curaja and shurikens until it explodes." Lame compared to the shit we'd get later like Zeromus, Exdeath, Kefka (while not being hard at all is at least epic in its scale)
Yeah the final boss is nothing special. By the time you get to her you are absolutely beat to hell though.
Combine that with the absolute meat grinder of the final dungeon in older variations of the game...sounds like pure hell

Yup.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The 2nd playthrough of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Great game, but having to beat the game twice in a row to truly beat it is silly. Never again, I always stop after the first run now.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I like replaying Fire Emblem games but I will never as long as I live touch Fire Emblem Awakening's Apotheosis DLC again.

I was so in love with Awakening when it came out and it fully validated my 3DS purchase on its own. I wanted to clear all the content, including my DLC purchases.

Apotheosis is brutal as it requires you to minmax the f*** out of your units' stats and have the right skills (which you need hours of grinding to obtain all the right ones as well) on top of a pretty challenging strategy. I did eventually beat it after an absurd amount of grinding but by the time I was done I was super burned out on Fire Emblem in general. I've heard some levels in that game on Lunatic+ difficulty are even worse so I'm never going to try.

EDIT: Also, as a related aside, I'm more than likely never going to play Fire Emblem Engage again. The gameplay itself is fine, but...the best way I can say this is Fire Emblem storytelling works well if presented in one of two ways: 1. The story is intentionally narrow in scope because it's not aiming to tell some branching narrative, it's just giving a little flavor to the collection of maps you're playing through and the characters you use or 2. It tells a branching narrative with loving care given to develop each of its characters so you feel emotionally connected with the overarching conflict and the units you send to battle.

Fire Emblem Three Houses hit the mark on that second method in a big way. The writing wasn't flawless by any means but I greatly enjoyed it. The 3ds set of games had Awakening and Shadows of Valentia be more in the first storytelling vein while Fates bumbled as it tried to reach the quality Three Houses achieved.

Engage falls somewhere in this shitty middle where you see that they aimed at the same quality of storytelling as its predecessor but suffered from an obvious lack of a duplication of writing effort and in some truly horrendous dialogue writing too. The end result is a big bucket of characters I couldn't give a f*** about with a story that feels less than half baked. It's such a decline in quality that it's offensive enough to make me not want to bother with combat that is about the same as what I'd find in Three Houses.

Just wanted to vent because just thinking about Engage pissed me off.
Yea I'm glad I didn't bother with Engage. Coming off of Three Houses, I have no idea why they would follow it up with something with crappy writing and pointless characters. I know there was speculation that Engage was originally supposed to come out as some sort of anniversary homage, but I don't know. Three Houses was a 10/10 for me.

Reactions: HanSolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad