Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Given his experience at the pro level I could see him making the lineup early on. That said, does anyone that watched him consistently know about his skill-set other than his shot? It seems like his game is more developed in other areas, but is it enough to firmly separate him from Thompson and Nylander.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Given his experience at the pro level I could see him making the lineup early on. That said, does anyone that watched him consistently know about his skill-set other than his shot? It seems like his game is more developed in other areas, but is it enough to firmly separate him from Thompson and Nylander.
I'd like to know this too. There was one highlight in there (I only watched half the video) where he outmuscled a defender and cut into the slot for the goal, which was really impressive, but obviously one clip doesn't tell you much of anything.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I love this kid, could be a serious threat on the PP and in shootouts. Would be nice to say we cashed in on a 7th round pick for once. Not something I'm used to seeing.

Reactions: jc17

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'd like to know this too. There was one highlight in there (I only watched half the video) where he outmuscled a defender and cut into the slot for the goal, which was really impressive, but obviously one clip doesn't tell you much of anything.

Yeah. For some reason I've had him above a lot of the other prospects in my mind but wasn't sure if it's valid or not. It seems like he's a decent skater and can handle the puck.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He seems to be a Laine type, without the elite talent. I would say the success of his game at the pro level will be in similar situations like the PP. His even-strength game will be dependent on the talent around him, not sure if he can drive offensive on his own.

From a readiness perspective, I think Asplund will be ready sooner for the NHL, however, Oloffson has the best shot to make the roster first given the lack of depth on wing as opposed to center.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I watched him a lot this past season and a little bit a few seasons before that. He does have things to work on in his own zone, defensively, even puck retrieval. But in the offensive zone, he’s good at finding seams and good at getting that shot away. He should contend for a spot out of camp.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
My hope/expectation is if he hits you have a 25 goal 15 assist guy who provided minimal value away from the offense. Almost like a better Brandon Pirri

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
In preseason, will be good to get him looks on PP2, just pulling the trigger. Just to see if it translates against NHL goalies.

Barring a revelation, he goes to the Amerks and we see if he can develop a little more strength and durability along the boards. It's great to have that shot, but if you're only using it once every few games because your line is always on their butts, you know.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
He seems to be a Laine type, without the elite talent. I would say the success of his game at the pro level will be in similar situations like the PP. His even-strength game will be dependent on the talent around him, not sure if he can drive offensive on his own.

From a readiness perspective, I think Asplund will be ready sooner for the NHL, however, Oloffson has the best shot to make the roster first given the lack of depth on wing as opposed to center.
I'm a McDavid type without the talent.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I watched him a lot this past season and a little bit a few seasons before that. He does have things to work on in his own zone, defensively, even puck retrieval. But in the offensive zone, he’s good at finding seems and good at getting that shot away. He should contend for a spot out of camp.

The lack of creativity and ability to find scoring paths on the wings has been such a problem in past seasons. Good to know that he has good vision as well as that dynamite cannon of a shot.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Laine has 0 elite talents outside of his shot.

Reactions: Kyndig and Rasmi

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It's just a hunch, but I think it's 50/50 he starts with the Sabres. I know they have talked about him needing time to get used to the smaller North American ice, but his age and game translate well to the NHL. Unless he's a complete dumpster fire in his own end, he would be a fantastic jolt of scoring ability in a position of need.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Sooo can we put him here on the PP and have Eichel feed him one timers all day?

That thing is a laserbeam

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Olofsson currently lighting it up. He co-leads the Amerks in points so far (him and Redmond both have 6 points) and is tied for 1st in the AHL in points as of this post.

Nasty backhand, with him and Nylander our wingers have real potential to add to this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad