Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Those in the know. How much tape/live games of a 7th rounder like Olofsson are the Sabres development team likely to have seen? Does it change drastically as they get closer to coming over?

Or is it reasonable to infer that chain is the expert on his development this side of the atlantic?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Those in the know. How much tape/live games of a 7th rounder like Olofsson are the Sabres development team likely to have seen? Does it change drastically as they get closer to coming over?

Or is it reasonable to infer that chain is the expert on his development this side of the atlantic?

Are you asking if the Sabres or @Chainshot is the expert?

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I'm not sure what you're implying. I watch a lot of games -- I've watched a lot more SHL this year because of my schedule and the NHL product being so shitty. Jan Axel-Alavaara is their man in Sweden, Anders Forsberg was part of the scouting purge but he wasn't part of the staff that drafted Olofsson to being with. That was most likely Bo Berglund.

Are you asking if the Sabres or @Chainshot is the expert?

I'm confused. :biglaugh:

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So much of current NHL scoring is via deflection and screen that maybe they want to see if he can pick it up in that aspect of his game. He's still pretty slightly built so he'd have to find a way inside and that may be what they want to see. He's not scoring '70's style winger goals where he simply comes down the wing and lets fly. He's mostly getting quick, accurate shots off from 10-20 feet out that are part of puck movement and skill finish, which this team is lacking off the wing both in the pro ranks and in the pipeline.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I would hope with the resources Pegula has that all our prospects games are recorded/saved, shift by shift edits, with Botterill and his development coaches are regularly viewing them.

Reactions: Chainshot

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I would hope with the resources Pegula has that all our prospects games are recorded/saved, shift by shift edits, with Botterill and his development coaches are regularly viewing them.

I would hope that Botterill is spending his time more wisely than personally watching all of the games of all of the prospects, when he has so many other responsibilities to attend to in managing the pro organizations in Buffalo and Rochester, managing the cap, dealing with agents and negotiating contracts, attending to league business, scouting other teams' players, etc.

I ould hope that he has intelligent and competent development people in place who DO watch all the games and give Botterill a regular high-level summary to keep him informed.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I would hope that Botterill is spending his time more wisely than personally watching all of the games of all of the prospects, when he has so many other responsibilities to attend to in managing the pro organizations in Buffalo and Rochester, managing the cap, dealing with agents and negotiating contracts, attending to league business, scouting other teams' players, etc.

I ould hope that he has intelligent and competent development people in place who DO watch all the games and give Botterill a regular high-level summary to keep him informed.

lol how many hours do you think a top executive works in a week? it's 60 hours minimum. How many of these hours does 'managing the cap' take? dealing with agents and negotiating contracts - again how many hours a week is spent on those activities especially since most of that is done in the off season? what is 'attending to league business'? he goes to GM meetings, beyond that I don't know what 'league business' he has to attend to, maybe he's on a committee and they keep in touch. There is time in Jason Botterill's week for the few hours it would take to look at progress videos of Sabres prospects.

He mentioned on the radio that he's headed on the road Monday to do some scouting - Schopp and Bulldog too dull to follow up and ask if he was scouting 2018 draft prospects, or other NHL teams, or our current prospects.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm not sure what you're implying. I watch a lot of games -- I've watched a lot more SHL this year because of my schedule and the NHL product being so ****ty. Jan Axel-Alavaara is their man in Sweden, Anders Forsberg was part of the scouting purge but he wasn't part of the staff that drafted Olofsson to being with. That was most likely Bo Berglund.

I'm asking if you think it's likely that you've watched more of Olofsson than any one member of the sabres staff.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Get inside more often? Cool. Not like he's all that far away burying things from shooting zones the Sabres rarely get into as it is. He has what? five? six? goals from long range. He's in the low to mid slot like Drew Stafford in a contract year.

I'm not sure what you're implying. I watch a lot of games -- I've watched a lot more SHL this year because of my schedule and the NHL product being so ****ty. Jan Axel-Alavaara is their man in Sweden, Anders Forsberg was part of the scouting purge but he wasn't part of the staff that drafted Olofsson to being with. That was most likely Bo Berglund.

So much of current NHL scoring is via deflection and screen that maybe they want to see if he can pick it up in that aspect of his game. He's still pretty slightly built so he'd have to find a way inside and that may be what they want to see. He's not scoring '70's style winger goals where he simply comes down the wing and lets fly. He's mostly getting quick, accurate shots off from 10-20 feet out that are part of puck movement and skill finish, which this team is lacking off the wing both in the pro ranks and in the pipeline.

I'm asking if you think it's likely that you've watched more of Olofsson than any one member of the sabres staff.

No idea. I haven't watched someone this much since Antipin last season or Paul Byron in his final junior year (back when Q games were all available from Telus for free). I key on him, Dahlin, and a bit on Lias Andersson because he's a #7 overall and fun to watch. I would expect the team has the same ability to see him in action, that they can find out first-hand how he is doing with better quality video than shitty webstreams I get. And it isn't hard to see every single scoring play he's been involved in, pro or con, as a casual fan since the SHL puts their game highlights up for free.

Him getting inside even more for that sort of stuff is much more NHL style scoring at this time. I get why they would want him to do it (which I mentioned above) and why he should work on it (also quoted above). I would hope that Jan Axel-Alavaara or Mair or anyone is spending time with some actual isolation video and breaking down what he sees to offer feed back.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Would be funny to have a line with a #2 overall pick together with a #181.
Arguably the best line in hockey right now has a former #1 (Stamkos) centering a former #208 overall (Palat). Weird stuff happens on the way to the NHL.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Can he come over and play when the SHL season is over? Seeing some new faces would make the rest of this horrendous season more palatable.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Frolunda goes a couple rounds deep, he likely wouldn't be available until the start of the Amerks playoffs.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
If Frolunda goes a couple rounds deep, he likely wouldn't be available until the start of the Amerks playoffs.

"The 2018 Calder Cup Playoffs will get underway the week of Apr. 16, featuring the top four teams in each of the AHL’s four divisions as ranked by points percentage (points earned divided by points available)."

SHL quarterfinals run between 18 and 31 March
SHL semifinals run between 2 and 15 April

Technically if they don't reach the semis they should have enough time to sign him and get him over here to play in the Calder playoffs. They could even get him after the semis but with no acclimatization time I doubt they do that and throw him straight from SHL semis into Calder Playoffs.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart: starting together straight out of training camp camp next season

Am I doing this right?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Frölunda HC‏@frolunda_hc -
MÅÅÅL! Broder Victor kan, han också. Olofsson stänker in 4-1-reduceringen ifrån höger i spel fem mot fyra, med 39 sekunder kvar att spela av Per 1. VIKTIGT!
MÅÅÅL! Brother Victor can, he also. Olofsson splashes in 4-1-reduction from the right in five-to-four bets, with 39 seconds left to play off Per 1. Important!

Frölunda HC‏ @frolunda_hc -
Olofssons 23:e denna säsong assisteras av Matt Donovan (12) och Ryan Lasch (34).
Olofsson's 23rd this season is assisted by Matt Donovan (12) and Ryan Lasch (34).

https://twitter.com/frolunda_hc
Frölunda HC‏ @frolunda_hc -
MÅÅÅÅL! In games five to four, he pulls it back. Victor Olofsson sets his second for the evening when he arranges the 4-2 reduction after a proper powerplay push. 5:09 left to play.

Frölunda HC‏ @frolunda_hc-
Olofssons 24:e mål assisteras av Matt Donovaon (15).
Olofsson's 24th goal is assisted by Matt Donovaon (15).

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What the hell, 1-0 Rogle on the powerplay. Team not starting well again, first shift took a penalty that Liss made them pay on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad