Player Discussion Victor Olofsson (2014, 181st) – '18-19: Rochester #12 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
So we have to draft/trade for him first before we can call him Flowzy?
Get it done Botts

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When eliteprospects.com interviewed Olofsson, he had just had a meeting with Sabres’ Development coach and former NHL:er Adam Mair as well as Swedish scout Jan-Axel Alavaara. He has clearly made an impact on both.

“They’ve been giving me really good feedback. They want me to shoot the puck as much as possible, from every position”, Olofsson says. “They also want me to get to the inside more often, score some dirty goals on deflections and rebounds. That’s something I’m working on.”

Get inside more often? Cool. Not like he's all that far away burying things from shooting zones the Sabres rarely get into as it is. He has what? five? six? goals from long range. He's in the low to mid slot like Drew Stafford in a contract year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I enjoy the idea of Adam Mair coaching him on scoring.

Eh, effort guys and never-was guys often figure out how to teach things that those who do things naturally. Not concerned there. Glad he was in for dev camp and that they're working with him/keeping him in the loop. Getting someone with some natural finish in the pro ranks would be great.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Considering that his contract is up this year, and his NHL rights also expire in June, I'd hope so. Ideally he can join the Amerks for their playoff run.

Curious how Frolunda does in the playoffs this spring. They went two rounds last year as a #3 seed. They're in a dogfight with Davidsson's Djurgarden and Asplund's Farjestad for that 2-4 positions right now. Even Linkoping and Malmo are within striking distance so the pressure should be good as an indicator for all three down the stretch. I'm torn on hoping Olofsson goes deep as a top contributor like last year or if he winds up available for the Amerks.

Amerk playoffs start the week of April 16th, so that's likely to be around the end of the third round of the SHL playoffs.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Considering that his contract is up this year, and his NHL rights also expire in June, I'd hope so. Ideally he can join the Amerks for their playoff run.

Thanks! I was hoping our board CBA and Contract guru would answer this :)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Question...if he doesn't sign with us by June what happens to his rights? Can he sign with another team straight after and come play for them? That would truly piss us off I'd think although it sounds the relationship here is good unlike the one with Petersen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Question...if he doesn't sign with us by June what happens to his rights? Can he sign with another team straight after and come play for them? That would truly piss us off I'd think although it sounds the relationship here is good unlike the one with Petersen.

He'd be UFA but constrained to an ELC.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And we can now sign him to ELC only as well right? Doesn't sound like we have much advantage if the answer is yes. But at least we have essentially a roster spot for him, which should ease things.

Anyone signing him is limited to an ELC at this time. What Buffalo has is familiarity/relationship and opportunity.

Reactions: CacOBG

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Would be funny to have a line with a #2 overall pick together with a #181.

But if Olofsson pans out, that's just super.

An unexpected late-round gem could go quite a ways toward making up for some of the misses and poor decisions in early-mid rounds in recent years.

Detroit won a lot of games based on late round gems.

Reactions: Kyndig

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Detroit won a lot of games based on late round gems.

Yeah, them walking into three of the best players of the last 25 years in picks in the 4th round or later is an impressive bit of luck.

Given how often 7th rounders work out, it seems that at least statistically, Buffalo is due. It's been 17 years after all.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
We selected Dennis Wideman in the 8th round of the 2002 Draft, which would make him a more recent late-round hit than Gaustad.

Wideman played more than 800 games in the league. Never played for us though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm worried this kid won't sign or stay overseas. Has he ever been to a development camp for us?

Trying not to be snarky about the response but the answer is yes he has been over for dev camp and as recently as last summer but he wasn't on the ice due to injury recovery. The interview where he talks about it is in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad