Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
First of many Norris nominations for Hedmonster. And first for a member of the Lightning.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
He probably deserves it for his actual D and putting up comparible O#s to the other 2 but the team missing the playoffs will unfortunately hurt his chances.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well even if Hedman doesn't win it's not like Burns and Karlsson were not fantastic in their own right. This is arguably one of the better crops of Norris candidates that we've had over the last couple of years. Whoever wins will rightfully have earned it and the only really valid arguments would be "Well this guy played so well how could HE not have won it" -and that's something you can say about all 3 players.

It was a simply outstanding year by Hedman and not winning the Norris isn't going to take away anything due to the caliber of play Burns and Karlsson were at this year.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Well even if Hedman doesn't win it's not like Burns and Karlsson were not fantastic in their own right. This is arguably one of the better crops of Norris candidates that we've had over the last couple of years. Whoever wins will rightfully have earned it and the only really valid arguments would be "Well this guy played so well how could HE not have won it" -and that's something you can say about all 3 players.

It was a simply outstanding year by Hedman and not winning the Norris isn't going to take away anything due to the caliber of play Burns and Karlsson were at this year.

True.

Though I think Hedman should win it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
True.

Though I think Hedman should win it.

Well he probably "deserves it" more than anyone else due to being the best defensively in the group but Burns was ****ing ridiculous out there. On some nights I felt like I was watching something out of the 1980's but with good defensive play. He had 29 goals and Lord knows he should've had more. And Karlsson is Karlsson. Like I said, Hedman could lose and I wouldn't have a problem with it. This year's Norris candidates were simply outstanding defensively as well as offensively.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Well he probably "deserves it" more than anyone else due to being the best defensively in the group but Burns was ****ing ridiculous out there. On some nights I felt like I was watching something out of the 1980's but with good defensive play. He had 29 goals and Lord knows he should've had more. And Karlsson is Karlsson. Like I said, Hedman could lose and I wouldn't have a problem with it. This year's Norris candidates were simply outstanding defensively as well as offensively.

Karlsson made huge strides his defensive game this year but Sens fans will blow it out of proportion, Karlsson also has less support than the other 2 finalists, that and also his team made the playoffs. Hedman's defensive play also dipped this season, like you said probably the best crop of finalist in a long time but I'd give it Karlsson, Burns lost a lot of ground with his final 15 games.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Karlsson made huge strides his defensive game this year but Sens fans will blow it out of proportion, Karlsson also has less support than the other 2 finalists, that and also his team made the playoffs. Hedman's defensive play also dipped this season, like you said probably the best crop of finalist in a long time but I'd give it Karlsson, Burns lost a lot of ground with his final 15 games.

For me:

Hedman
Karlsson
Burns

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I mean... that's certainly the *narrative*. I've seen the same issues with him I've always seen. He's weak on the boards, and he's weak in the crease. He gave up a lot of shot attempts, shots, and scoring chances.

The big narrative is "he's blocking more", but surprisingly Karlsson has always blocked a good number of shots.

His strengths are the same they've always been. Great stick, great at taking the puck away, and great in transition. But his flaws are still there and his in-zone defense was not terrific (while he did get top-notch goaltending).

And I also don't really buy that Hedman's defense dipped. First - the corresponding numbers (shots, shot attempts, scoring chances against) are all very low and by far the best on the team. Second - we had some of the most uneven goaltending in the league - it was either the goaltender putting on a clinic or it looked like Roy's last game in Montreal and no in between.

Hedman looked rough *for him* at points in the season. But I would take him at his worst defensively over either guys at their best any day of the week.

Support I suppose is somewhat fair - Karlsson and Burns both drive their teams offense more than Hedman does. One thing is for sure - you can't put the Bolts not making the playoffs on anything Hedman did though. I know that matters to the voters, but it's stupid it does.

Edit: Let me put it this way - us being reasonable about the flaws in Hedman's performance should not weigh on the fact that Sens fans are incapable of the same w/r/t Karlsson.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I mean... that's certainly the *narrative*. I've seen the same issues with him I've always seen. He's weak on the boards, and he's weak in the crease. He gave up a lot of shot attempts, shots, and scoring chances.

The big narrative is "he's blocking more", but surprisingly Karlsson has always blocked a good number of shots.

His strengths are the same they've always been. Great stick, great at taking the puck away, and great in transition. But his flaws are still there and his in-zone defense was not terrific (while he did get top-notch goaltending).

And I also don't really buy that Hedman's defense dipped. First - the corresponding numbers (shots, shot attempts, scoring chances against) are all very low and by far the best on the team. Second - we had some of the most uneven goaltending in the league - it was either the goaltender putting on a clinic or it looked like Roy's last game in Montreal and no in between.

Hedman looked rough *for him* at points in the season. But I would take him at his worst defensively over either guys at their best any day of the week.

Support I suppose is somewhat fair - Karlsson and Burns both drive their teams offense more than Hedman does. One thing is for sure - you can't put the Bolts not making the playoffs on anything Hedman did though. I know that matters to the voters, but it's stupid it does.

He was never that bad defensively, people just want to say he was.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I have no idea what they were saying but I loved every second of it.. Absolutely criminal that there is no Olympics. This may of been the best 1st line Olympic pairing of all time.. :-(

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Speaking of going "all in", Yzerman should go all in and get Karlsson to TB to play with Hedman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino