Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bumping this. 51 points on the season in 58 games (which is fantastic).

10 goals and 41 assists.

He has as many goals as all other defenseman the Bolts have dressed combined.

Hedman: 10g, 41a, 51 points
Rest of D: 10g, 50a, 60 points

Our backend has sucked this season.

One major thing, and last night illustrated this perfectly, is he's a fine PP player when the major scoring threat is a lefty. The combination of Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov is lethal.

Not sure if we're going to play Stamkos in Johnson's spot when he comes back or on a different unit, but I really hope we don't mess with that magic.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
One major thing, and last night illustrated this perfectly, is he's a fine PP player when the major scoring threat is a lefty. The combination of Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov is lethal.

Not sure if we're going to play Stamkos in Johnson's spot when he comes back or on a different unit, but I really hope we don't mess with that magic.

We should put Stamkos in his spot, keep Drouin where he goes on the left wing, keep Hedman at the point, keep Kucherov where he goes, and place Killorn at the net.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
When we're talking about Hedman, it's only relative to the elite class, otherwise it'd be impossible to criticize his game. That being said his point production increased mainly due to the powerplay. He's getting more ice-time with a more effective unit.

Number-wise, Hedman scored 11 PP points last year, he already reached 23 PP points this season, with 20 games remaining.

Like the rest of the team this year, there's something lacking at 5v5 tho. I would trade a decent number of his production for more steadiness at even strength.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Stamkos needs his own unit on PP and needs a RHD that can pass him the puck the way Herman can pass to the right circle.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Stamkos needs his own unit on PP and needs a RHD that can pass him the puck the way Herman can pass to the right circle.

I agree with this. And I would take the Kovalchuk/Karlsson/Ovechkin route with Drouin and keep him out for the full PP regardless of unit.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
He is having a good season. I don't think he has peaked yet and he is on track to become the best.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree with this. And I would take the Kovalchuk/Karlsson/Ovechkin route with Drouin and keep him out for the full PP regardless of unit.

I don't see any reason why we couldn't do that. Seems like he's the QB, regardless who else is out there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We still need a RHD that can pass to Stamkos

I don't think that's anywhere near the need it was last year. We've found a different way to score PP goals. I'd much rather get a D who could move the puck 5on5, even if he's not a PP option.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We still need a RHD that can pass to Stamkos

I don't think that's anywhere near the need it was last year. We've found a different way to score PP goals. I'd much rather get a D who could move the puck 5on5, even if he's not a PP option.

I think TJ at the point on the Stamkos unit would be perfect if we can't find a Shattenkirk type. Excellent passer and his shot from the point will keep the goaltender honest. Perfect combo IMO. Replace him on the Kucherov unit with a big body who can screen and win faceoffs(sayonara Boyle :( )

Or they can replace Palat with Stamkos and put him on the main unit. Have him rotate from the circle to screening the goalie, same for Kucherov who has proven to be one of the best in the league at mid range deflections. Our PP is dynamic anyways so that could work out.

Two good options depending on what we have next season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think TJ at the point on the Stamkos unit would be perfect if we can't find a Shattenkirk type. Excellent passer and his shot from the point will keep the goaltender honest. Perfect combo IMO. Replace him on the Kucherov unit with a big body who can screen and win faceoffs(sayonara Boyle :( )

Or they can replace Palat with Stamkos and put him on the main unit. Have him rotate from the circle to screening the goalie, same for Kucherov who has proven to be one of the best in the league at mid range deflections. Our PP is dynamic anyways so that could work out.

Two good options depending on what we have next season.

TJ's been playing behind the net on the top unit lately. No reason we couldn't use Point there, especially since it's not really a shooter's role. More a puck retrieval/desperation pass role. So that would be Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov-Point-Palat.

If Erne pans out, he could be a big heavy body to plant down low on Stammer's unit. Or in place of Palat. (Drouin probably uses that low guy more often, so maybe a moose-type player would be better there?)

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Gusev would've been a tremendous addition to the PP, he's the right-handed version of Kucherov on man-advantage, he can shoot and pass from anywhere. I used the conditional tense because we're in March and we didn't hear anything yet, not even a single rumor about him coming over next season. That doesn't look good. With each day passing, I'm getting less optimistic to ever see him wearing the Lightning uniform.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
TJ's been playing behind the net on the top unit lately. No reason we couldn't use Point there, especially since it's not really a shooter's role. More a puck retrieval/desperation pass role. So that would be Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov-Point-Palat.

If Erne pans out, he could be a big heavy body to plant down low on Stammer's unit. Or in place of Palat. (Drouin probably uses that low guy more often, so maybe a moose-type player would be better there?)

I'm good with Point doing puck retrieval, that's what he's best at

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman just needs to feed a LH'd shot like Kucherov, he cannot for life of him make a one-timer pass to a RH'd shot.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hedman's personal best is 55 points. He's still got time to push for the franchise season record for points or assists by a dman.

1. Roman Hamrlik: 16g + 49a = 65pts (1995-96)

2. Dan Boyle: 20g + 43a = 63pts (2006-07)

3. Victor Hedman: 13g + 42a = 55pts (2013-14)

4. Dan Boyle: 15g + 38a = 53pts (2005-06)

5. Dan Boyle: 13g + 40a = 53pts (2002-03)

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Hedman has not been as solid as he in past seasons. Still by far our best dman but not the Heddy of 2015 or 2016

He is every bit as good as he has been, its just now hes trying to carry a pairing with a manchild or a giant defender who treats the puck like a live grenade.

Going to hurt the guys back trying to carry the junk on this blueline.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hedman has not been as solid as he in past seasons. Still by far our best dman but not the Heddy of 2015 or 2016

There was a LOT of complaining about the 2015/2016 Hedman... until the playoffs started. Then he went beast mode. I think he's been a lot better this year than he was in the regular season last year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hedman's personal best is 55 points. He's still got time to push for the franchise season record for points or assists by a dman.

1. Roman Hamrlik: 16g + 49a = 65pts (1995-96)

2. Dan Boyle: 20g + 43a = 63pts (2006-07)

3. Victor Hedman: 13g + 42a = 55pts (2013-14)

4. Dan Boyle: 15g + 38a = 53pts (2005-06)

5. Dan Boyle: 13g + 40a = 53pts (2002-03)

Hedman is 12+41 for 53 right now. So tied for fifth.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
36 points in his last 35 games.

Hard to imagine where we'd be right now without Hedman's offensive surge.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Last night was one of the few true, undeniable times i've seen him take a game by the throat at both ends of the ice and it was ****ing beautiful.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Pretty crazy he tied his career high in like 15 less games. It would be cool to see him break 70 points this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->