Kings News: Via DL: Quick sidelined around 3 months (10/19)

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It's really sad seeing all of this pessimism but I just can't help but accept the reality. My question is, why can't we have the seemingly life-long competitiveness like the Sharks have done in the last 12 years or so?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'll take some down years, to have won some cups.

The Sharks have one Stanely Cup final appearance, that's it.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Ran into and got beat by a very good SJ team, that played extremely well.

I mean, been a Kings fan for a long time. Hockey teams lose. It happens.

I mean. I don't want to mince words here. Kings got embarrassed by SJ last year. It sucked and the thought of it happening again makes me sick to my stomach.

But yeah. People calling for a tank after game one and mocking US for having hope? Entertaining at best, obnoxious af at worst.

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
It's really sad seeing all of this pessimism but I just can't help but accept the reality. My question is, why can't we have the seemingly life-long competitiveness like the Sharks have done in the last 12 years or so?

Really?

You'd trade the Sharks fate for ours?

The grass is always greener, I suppose.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'm not talking about Cups here. It's the ability to avoid lean years. I envy that part of the Sharks.

The Sharks are not going to have Thornton/Patty/Pavs forever.

They are not exactly young.

The Sharks (like most NHL teams) are one significant injury away from having depth issues.

Just like what the Kings are dealing with now. Dealt with last year as well.

Sharks also missed the playoff's 2014-15

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I have several Shark fan friends, they did not enjoy the last decade.

They did not enjoy the playoff disappointments in the last decade, to be exact. But that does not erase playing for something instead of being a target practice for contending teams in the regular season. The Sharks FO deserves credit for fielding a good on-ice product year after year.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
They did not enjoy the lhe playoff disappointments in the last decade, to be exact. But that does not erase playing for something instead of being a target practice for contending teams in the regular season. The Sharks FO deserves credit for fielding a good on-ice product year after year.

Are you trying to say the Kings have been a worse team over the last decade than SJ ?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
My how attitudes change quickly.

I bet I could dig up posts just from 2014 mocking SJ for being a pathetic franchise. Now calling them top class....

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Are you trying to say the Kings have been a worse team over the last decade than SJ ?

In terms of keeping a competitive team afloat? Yes. 2 Cups certainly overshadow any kind of a success the Sharks have had but you just can't dismiss the fact that the Sharks have been a threat every year even though they've had the playoff choker moniker. Since 2012? Sure, we've been the better franchise but we're talking about the last 12 years here, right?

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Off-topic: from what I had observed about the Sharks front office, it's safe to say that Sharks GM Wilson rather learned a lot from his time playing for the Dollar Bill era-Blackhawks, and the manner he runs the franchise reflects his Dollar Bill experience.

As for the Kings, I objectively see of them as the NHL counterpart of the Toronto Blue Jays: single-largest non-traditional market of the league, the same way Toronto is the single-largest non-traditional market in baseball (MLB).

Back on topic: I rather have Quick at full strength than see him risk another lower-body injury, if rushed.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Sharks will have to rebuild at some point. Just like the Red Wings are probably going to start this year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They did not enjoy the playoff disappointments in the last decade, to be exact. But that does not erase playing for something instead of being a target practice for contending teams in the regular season. The Sharks FO deserves credit for fielding a good on-ice product year after year.

Kind of begs the question: If you knew what was happening ahead of time, would you rather have the 2006-2016 SJS, or the 2006-2016 Carolina Hurricanes?

Agreed that SJS deserves kudos for being in the mix year after year. Note that I'm not sure there's a right answer to the above hypothetical, but I know as a Kings fan, I remember saying after the 2012 cup I'd gladly take another decade of suck just for the ONE cup. Never mind how I felt after 2013 WCF and 2014's SECOND cup, that was all playing with house money. I wouldn't trade any of that back to lose in the 1st or 2nd round 6 years in a row. I mean, look at how people around here are talking about last year's Kings team as if it were one of the biggest failures ever...

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
The Sharks will have to rebuild at some point. Just like the Red Wings are probably going to start this year.

Yeah, but there's a difference here. The Sharks have remained competitive for over a decade (since drafting Marleau in '97, they only missed the playoffs twice).

And here we are only 4 years after our first Cup, fans are talking about tanking for the number 1 pick.

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Yeah, but there's a difference here. The Sharks have remained competitive for over a decade (since drafting Marleau in '97, they only missed the playoffs twice).

And here we are only 4 years after our first Cup, fans are talking about tanking for the number 1 pick.

If it wasn't for some of those lean years we wouldn't have Drew.

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

"fans"

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Kind of begs the question: If you knew what was happening ahead of time, would you rather have the 2006-2016 SJS, or the 2006-2016 Carolina Hurricanes?

Agreed that SJS deserves kudos for being in the mix year after year. Note that I'm not sure there's a right answer to the above hypothetical, but I know as a Kings fan, I remember saying after the 2012 cup I'd gladly take another decade of suck just for the ONE cup. Never mind how I felt after 2013 WCF and 2014's SECOND cup, that was all playing with house money. I wouldn't trade any of that back to lose in the 1st or 2nd round 6 years in a row. I mean, look at how people around here are talking about last year's Kings team as if it were one of the biggest failures ever...

Would anyone take the Wings record ? Think about the Red Wings as well.

To me, they haven't been relevant since 08-09 season, yet they make the playoffs. I would argue they should have started a rebuild Five years ago.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I was digging through my pictures yesterday and couldn't find it. :laugh:

Gotcha covered.
khjmLoT.jpg

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Oops, sorry. Came in here to see some news on Quicky, then a page in realized it's just another ***** fest thread.

Kings Hockey, baby.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley

I'm sorry, are you denigrating the Kings in favor of the Sharks, or am I too drunk?

I'm too drunk, right?

Right!?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad