Confirmed Trade: [VGK/WSH] Anthony Mantha (50% retained) for 2024 2nd round pick and 2026 4th round pick

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Mantha is undervalued at this point. Can’t shed the “lazy work ethic” label over the years. Results speak for themselves though, he’s scoring at a good clip almost entirely at even strength too, and he doesn’t really get hemmed in his own zone.

There’s just something about watching him or his skating style that makes people thinks he’s bad or lazy or something. I can’t quite figure it out. He’s a good player. Vegas should be happy.

I think he’s a smarter acquisition at a 2nd/4th instead of forking over a 1st and a top prospect for Guentzel

Why? Guentzel is a much better player. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Especially if you can resign Guentzel. Obviously, you can make the argument that you dont like any rental for a 1st and top prospect

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Why? Guentzel is a much better player. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Especially if you can resign Guentzel. Obviously, you can make the argument that you dont like any rental for a 1st and top prospect
Sure i think Guentzel is worth that but find Mantha to be the better value. theoretically Vegas could now use their 1st+ to go for Hanifin if they wanted for instance.

A lot of these top teams need more of a depth/secondary even strength scorer and Mantha fits the description nicely at a fair price

Reactions: abo9

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This is a fairly typical trade. The bar for wingers to return premium value is high. Zuccarello was scoring at a ~66 point pace in 2019; his return ended up a 2nd+3rd. Nyquist (~65) brought back the same that deadline. Dzingel (~63) returned 2 2nds. Domi (~67) brought back a 2nd last deadline.

In the years between, players that weren’t producing at that level, but had name value and didn’t return a 1st included Toffoli, Hall and Rakell.

Only so many 1sts move. C & D get priority.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole as a UFA this offseason, but I think he'll be a fantastic addition as a playoff rental who is currently in "give a crap" mode trying to boost his next UFA contract value

Exactly right. Mantha in a contract year is just fine.

I feel sorry for anyone who gives him term though.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Mantha is ... a body. Can score - has 20 this year, on pace to make a push for 30. He could also end the season with 22 and it wouldn't surprise anyone. He doesn't make a line worse, but he doesn't make it better either. You watch him and think "he could do some more" and he doesn't and you don't know why he doesn't, but you also know he's not going to and you're not pissed off about it.

Good deal for the Caps. I don't know that Vegas regrets this, but I can also see Vegas looking back and saying "yeah, it didn't really move the needle at all for us."

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Dude just glides around and occasionally makes a cool play and/or beats up Cousins. Happy to have the picks.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sure i think Guentzel is worth that but find Mantha to be the better value. theoretically Vegas could now use their 1st+ to go for Hanifin if they wanted for instance.

A lot of these top teams need more of a depth/secondary even strength scorer and Mantha fits the description nicely at a fair price
Unless Vegas is moving roster pieces and/or Calgary is retaining Noah ain’t going there.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Unless Vegas is moving roster pieces and/or Calgary is retaining Noah ain’t going there.
Just an example for illustrative purposes. Vegas retains their 1st for a big fish.

I don’t actually have a good read on what their needs are. But they like shiny things so I assume Hanifin. Maybe even Guentzel and double down on scoring wingers!

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Arguably, picking up Gagner for free is better value

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Just an example for illustrative purposes. Vegas retains their 1st for a big fish.

I don’t actually have a good read on what their needs are. But they like shiny things so I assume Hanifin. Maybe even Guentzel and double down on scoring wingers!
I don’t know how much value a late first has and their prospects don’t exactly move the needle in comparison to some other teams. At this point I would be shocked if they reel in a big fish and if they do it may really come back to bite them harder than any other time they did the same.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I didnt expect much (or any) more than this in return for Tarasenko and the NMC could be a limiting factor, but man oh man Tarasenko is head and shoulders a better option than Mantha imo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Mantha is undervalued at this point. Can’t shed the “lazy work ethic” label over the years. Results speak for themselves though, he’s scoring at a good clip almost entirely at even strength too, and he doesn’t really get hemmed in his own zone.

There’s just something about watching him or his skating style that makes people thinks he’s bad or lazy or something. I can’t quite figure it out. He’s a good player. Vegas should be happy.

I think he’s a smarter acquisition at a 2nd/4th instead of forking over a 1st and a top prospect for Guentzel

Plenty of tall players who get by on skill rather than force get the lazy tag and rarely ever shake it even if their play dictates otherwise.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If I were a Vegas van I'd be a little underwhelmed by this, not even because he's not a good player because he is but Vegas always goes after the big fish, the Eichel's, Stones, AP's, even MAF although that was via expansion draft.

If I were a Vegas I'd be expecting Guntzle, or Buch out of St Louis, preferably Buch because of the extra year.

If Mantha is their big deadline add I think Vegas fans will be and should be unsatisfied.

They have been taught to expect more.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Good for the Caps to get some value out of this. Before the season started none of us would have thought that was possible. This is selling high.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
We’ll see if it takes them out of the Guentzel thing, but Duclair would fit real nice with Vegas at a lower cost.. It’s just interesting they didn’t settle for Mantha. They went and got him.

Hanifin is the move that still makes them the most dangerous. To have all 3 pairings driving play would make them really hard to play against, in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad