Confirmed Trade: [VGK/WSH] Anthony Mantha (50% retained) for 2024 2nd round pick and 2026 4th round pick

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We’ll see if it takes them out of the Guentzel thing, but Duclair would fit real nice with Vegas at a lower cost.. It’s just interesting they didn’t settle for Mantha. They went and got him.

Hanifin is the move that still makes them the most dangerous. To have all 3 pairings driving play would make them really hard to play against, in a 7 game series.

If nothing else, Vegas is proactive in how they make their moves. It never seems that they are trying to catch up to someone else - they identify what they want and then go get it.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
If I were a Vegas van I'd be a little underwhelmed by this, not even because he's not a good player because he is but Vegas always goes after the big fish, the Eichel's, Stones, AP's, even MAF although that was via expansion draft.

If I were a Vegas I'd be expecting Guntzle, or Buch out of St Louis, preferably Buch because of the extra year.

If Mantha is their big deadline add I think Vegas fans will be and should be unsatisfied.

They have been taught to expect more.
I'd be very surprised if McCrimmon is done when he still has some cards to play, but my guess is the next one will be equally unexpected whatever it is.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's an interesting bet. He certainly doesn't play the structured game they are known for. He's also very talented and has largely wasted that talent. Can their culture overcome his reluctance to do the little things? It'll be fun to watch.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I’ve been digesting this one slow…..

The quality of this move depends on what happens between now and the deadline.

The solidity of my intent to see Mantha in the Knights’ top-6 is equal to my desire to import PCP, to be administered to “T-O-N-Y-give a damn?”.

He’s not even a Carrier replacement. Carrier tries….like….HARD…..I wouldn’t want a lack of inspiration in the top-6, and a healthy Knights bottom six will even have more inspired wingers.

If…..IF…..he puts his “big bodied goal scorer” helmet on and plays with a level of desire that doesn’t expose him as the deficient component of a line, I can like the move - depending on where he slots. Shit, how much of the hockey world doubted the compete level of Jack Eichel up until 9 months ago?

Maybe it works…..but my side-eye has it’s safety off. Let’s see the shape of the roster once the form of such has Mantha in a non-pivotal role. Platoon it all day, I suppose.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
If I were a Vegas van I'd be a little underwhelmed by this, not even because he's not a good player because he is but Vegas always goes after the big fish, the Eichel's, Stones, AP's, even MAF although that was via expansion draft.

If I were a Vegas I'd be expecting Guntzle, or Buch out of St Louis, preferably Buch because of the extra year.

If Mantha is their big deadline add I think Vegas fans will be and should be unsatisfied.

We didn’t really get any big fish last year though and that was the year the team won a cup. The Eichel trade was considered a huge risk at the time. True the team has made some big moves. The team that made the Finals in the first season didn’t pick up any big names either.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We didn’t really get any big fish last year though and that was the year the team won a cup. The Eichel trade was considered a huge risk at the time. True the team has made some big moves. The team that made the Finals in the first season didn’t pick up any big names either.
Wait a minute, 2 time stanley cup champion Jonathan quick wasn't a big fish? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Vegas07

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This seems like a terrible acquisition. But it's Vegas, so he'll probably go on an absolute tear now for the rest of the year. And then sing some other catastrophic contract with someone else in the summer.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
It's kind of funny because for the first time in his Caps stint I thought he was doing decent. So I guess.. selling high?

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I’ve been digesting this one slow…..

The quality of this move depends on what happens between now and the deadline.

The solidity of my intent to see Mantha in the Knights’ top-6 is equal to my desire to import PCP, to be administered to “T-O-N-Y-give a damn?”.

He’s not even a Carrier replacement. Carrier tries….like….HARD…..I wouldn’t want a lack of inspiration in the top-6, and a healthy Knights bottom six will even have more inspired wingers.

If…..IF…..he puts his “big bodied goal scorer” helmet on and plays with a level of desire that doesn’t expose him as the deficient component of a line, I can like the move - depending on where he slots. Shit, how much of the hockey world doubted the compete level of Jack Eichel up until 9 months ago?

Maybe it works…..but my side-eye has it’s safety off. Let’s see the shape of the roster once the form of such has Mantha in a non-pivotal role. Platoon it all day, I suppose.

If Mantha goes through prolonged periods of uninspired play, he'll fit right in with everybody else on the roster. Knights are by far the laziest most uninspired team in hockey during the regular season.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
It's kind of funny because for the first time in his Caps stint I thought he was doing decent. So I guess.. selling high?
Caps are smart enough not to get sucked in by a player's performance spike in a UFA season. Once they had decided not to re-sign him, anything they got at the TDL was simply found money.

Reactions: HeyMattyB

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
This is Barbashev 2.0, they were in Timo last year before they bowed out to the Devils late and wound up getting a sick player at a cheaper rate than everyone else is going to get their guys who went ballistic come Spring en route to a Cup. Mantha is going to be animal there.

How are they gonna do that with how they've used said assets in those trades? They're arguably barren right now, they've traded them for mostly superstars to ice a competitive team for the foreseeable future because Vegas's pro personnel has done a perfect job in acquiring guys that fit their system to a bill and they aren't emotionally attached to players as some teams are.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad