Confirmed Trade: [VGK/WSH] Anthony Mantha (50% retained) for 2024 2nd round pick and 2026 4th round pick

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
At least it allows me to post this.... otherwise we'll see how it turns out.

270020.jpg

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Plenty of tall players who get by on skill rather than force get the lazy tag and rarely ever shake it even if their play dictates otherwise.
Size can be a hindrance sometimes for skill players, I remember when Boston tried to turn Joe Thornton into Todd Bertuzzi, keeping one of the greatest passers in the game in the crease to screen the goalie ...

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Interesting deal. A 2nd and 4th for a player having a solid year.

I did have to look 20 goals on 22.2 sh% but 17 are ES so he is not some PP merchant.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Cant see this as anything other than a win. Less than a year ago he was untradable so a 2nd and a 4th is not bad at all. I would have been happy with a bag of pucks just to see him gone, i don't care about 20-30 goals this year. Big guy who plays like a small player. Im glad that the contract year performance did not fool the management.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
True, but it also tells me they're convinced Stone is coming back in the playoffs. This isn't the kind of move you make to counter his loss.
I mean who exactly would they get if they knew Stone wasn't coming back?

There isn't exactly a ton of guys in the league to begin with that play the way he does let alone available guys this deadline to replace him.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I mean who exactly would they get if they knew Stone wasn't coming back?

There isn't exactly a ton of guys in the league to begin with that play the way he does let alone available guys this deadline to replace him.
To be honest if they didn’t think he was coming back they’d either stand pat or go Guentzel. A couple of 4th liners having decent seasons isn’t going to overcome that against playoff teams.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
It's worth mentioning that Vegas could miss the playoffs.
Unlikely but that is one reason they did deal and will do a second deal on deadline day. They need home games in the playoffs. They are now 5 pts behind the oilers after at one point in time being something like 20 pts up on them. They are tied with the KINGS and 6 pts up on the blues with 20 games left. It will be fun to watch what happens. My guess is the Vegas 1st rounder and a 3rd ends up with the Blues for Buch

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Mantha will be a solid player for Vegas this postseason, then get a new deal somewhere and play a solid two-way game whilst scoring 50-60 points.

The lazy rumour isn't unfounded but he also suffers from being a very large hockey-IQ player who doesn't use his body or hustle that much. Those labels tend to come then.

Reactions: HTFN

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Imagine thinking Kaapo "1 warm body away from being waived" Kakko is enough for a dude with 30 goals and using that to criticize someone else's evaluation..
fyi, you should look at kakko at 22 season vs vatranos career year at 5v5 play.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
We now live in a world, where Anthony Mantha costs more than Vladimir Tarasenko.

UFAs to be, hold the cards many times. Ottawa fans will be mad, but they were never getting some of the higher expectations we have seen in recent days.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Mantha will be a solid player for Vegas this postseason, then get a new deal somewhere and play a solid two-way game whilst scoring 50-60 points.

The lazy rumour isn't unfounded but he also suffers from being a very large hockey-IQ player who doesn't use his body or hustle that much. Those labels tend to come then.

Isn't that kind of the same thing?

Mantha is such a frustrating player. Great size and talent but low compete level. He seems content to cruise around and get his 40ish points but could do so much more. Also was injury prone while on the Wings.

The best thing to motivate him is when an opponent pisses him off.

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Isn't that kind of the same thing?

Mantha is such a frustrating player. Great size and talent but low compete level. He seems content to cruise around and get his 40ish points but could do so much more. Also was injury prone while on the Wings.

The best thing to motivate him is when an opponent pisses him off.
What im saying is that a 5'11 non physical two way winger with 40-50 points is a great thing. If same player is 6'5 235 the talk will change just from the optics.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
What im saying is that a 5'11 non physical two way winger with 40-50 points is a great thing. If same player is 6'5 235 the talk will change just from the optics.
Two way winger? Mantha?

He's a one dimensional opportunistic scorer.

I don't think he's bad defensively, but a lack of battle and hustle limits his impact.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
Great price. As always every team/fan on HF is overvaluing what theyll get for their guys. Anaheim/hf fans think kakko wouldnt be enough for frank vatrano and that henrique is worth a 1st + top prospect LOL
Price for Tarasenko (and affirmation by Dreger) that the market is not what fans think it is for these players.

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Ah got it.

For me it's not really his size. Sure that's great but there's so many shifts where he's not engaged, regardless of his size. He's got great hands and a great shot and could do so much more.

Reactions: YippieKaey

YippieKaey

Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Two way winger? Mantha?

He's a one dimensional opportunistic scorer.

I don't think he's bad defensively, but a lack of battle and hustle limits his impact.
If im not misremembering (i might be), he has been one of the better defensive forwards on the team in terms of advanced stats for the last two seasons. Perhaps @twabby knows more.

Ah got it.

For me it's not really his size. Sure that's great but there's so many shifts where he's not engaged, regardless of his size. He's got great hands and a great shot and could do so much more.
Oh yeah there's definitely wasted potential there. But to me he's like a slightly less defensive, slightly more offensive Connor Brown (when he was still good), just a lot bigger. So different demands come with size which is completely fair but still.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Yes because for a team looking to improve itself for these playoffs that's absolutely what matters, 2 cherry-picked spots at random points of their careers.
Cherry picked? I used kakkos most recent full season vs vatranos career year fyi. If you wanna use career averages thats less favorable to vatrano fyi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad