Confirmed Trade: [VGK/FLA] Reilly Smith + expose Marchessault for 2018 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Also there's other rumored trade targets out there to "find" prior to July 1st, even if they are making slightly more than 5M. Duchene (6M), Galchenyuk (likely in the 5-6M range), Eberle (6M), E.Kane (5.25M), and possibly James Neal (5M) if Vegas flips him. Any of those guys are worth more than Smith by a mile, even if their cap hits are slightly higher. I'm betting FL is trading for one of Eberle or Galchenyuk at this point so they likely will replace Smith with a better option.

But they gave up Smith for free, they won't get those guys for free.
Tallon got nothing that he could have flipped for any of those players, and I wouldn't go for Eberle, Smith is a better fit for their style.

I don't know if he's top6 in every team but he's a top6W, 40-50 points with good D-game, was on Floridas #1pk unit.

Tallon needs 2 of Kovy/Dadonov/Williams to make any kind of sense here.

Last edited:

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
But they gave up Smith for free, they won't get those guys for free.
Tallon got nothing that he could have flipped for any of those players, and I wouldn't go for Eberle, Smith is a better fit for their style.

I don't know if he's top6 in every team but he's a top6W, 40-50 points with good D-game, was on Floridas #1pk unit.

Tallon needs 2 of Kovy/Dadonov/Williams to make any kind of sense here.
Well technically not free...they got a 4th next yr which could be like a late 3rd if Vegas is bad enough.

How is Smith a better fit for their style? A new coach in Boughner could likely change their style slightly where he wasnt a better fit. Sure he didnt get anything that he could flip that we know of right now. Maybe there's another piece to this as Vegas could make another move. Either way, the "giving" up of Smith was to gain cap flexibility which isnt "free" these days.

From what I just read too about Smith & Marchessault, they werent very good defensively last season. Maybe that was just a product of that team but apparently they werent that happy with either player in terms of 2-way play. I dont think you can say Smith is a consistent 40-50 pts though, especially after last season. Maybe a 35-40 pt guy but I dont think thats a top 6 guy on most teams, regardless of what he played on FL. He'll likely get top 6 mins in Vegas though and historically, he's had a good season after a bad one like he just had.

Tallon will have to trade for Kovy so I dont think that makes any sense as well as the cost to acquire him is probably not worth what his likely production will be. Dadonov and/or Williams could make a lot of sense but also likely going to eat up quite a bit of cap space too. With the rumor of Dadonov signing with an East team, this seems like a real possibility too and would give them a replacement for Marchessault. Oshie would make way more sense than Williams, especially factoring in the 35+ contract that Wiliams will get. Guess we'll see in 2 weeks how well they really did.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well technically not free...they got a 4th next yr which could be like a late 3rd if Vegas is bad enough.

How is Smith a better fit for their style? A new coach in Boughner could likely change their style slightly where he wasnt a better fit. Sure he didnt get anything that he could flip that we know of right now. Maybe there's another piece to this as Vegas could make another move. Either way, the "giving" up of Smith was to gain cap flexibility which isnt "free" these days.

From what I just read too about Smith & Marchessault, they werent very good defensively last season. Maybe that was just a product of that team but apparently they werent that happy with either player in terms of 2-way play. I dont think you can say Smith is a consistent 40-50 pts though, especially after last season. Maybe a 35-40 pt guy but I dont think thats a top 6 guy on most teams, regardless of what he played on FL. He'll likely get top 6 mins in Vegas though and historically, he's had a good season after a bad one like he just had.

Tallon will have to trade for Kovy so I dont think that makes any sense as well as the cost to acquire him is probably not worth what his likely production will be. Dadonov and/or Williams could make a lot of sense but also likely going to eat up quite a bit of cap space too. With the rumor of Dadonov signing with an East team, this seems like a real possibility too and would give them a replacement for Marchessault. Oshie would make way more sense than Williams, especially factoring in the 35+ contract that Wiliams will get. Guess we'll see in 2 weeks how well they really did.

1) That's free. Will get you nowhere with those guys.

2)Boughner said they are going to be a helluva checking team, all in attitude.
Eberle isn't exactly that.

3)Wrong, Smith played a huge part on Floridas elite PK. Marchessault wasn't a liability by any means. Majority of Florida fans think Smith is good defensively/2nd best defensive forward after Barkov.

4)Oshie is going to get another Lucic/Eriksson/Ladd contract, which is going to be abysmal soon.
Williams is a short term add, Kovy the same. Risk levels are way different.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Petrovic likely was kept for the "grit" factor as I assume Tallon is trying to regain some of that identity after the analytics guys went overboard getting rid of too much of the grit. Even as a 3rd pairing guy, Petrovic is still cost effective in that aspect and has plenty of NHL experience. Both Weegar and McCoshen do not have that experience and technically only Weegar would compete with Petrovic as a RHD I would assume.

I'm sure there were multiple teams interested but they likely wanted FL to take back a contract as well. Thats where you and I just dont know whether that 4th was better than taking on a bad contract instead.

Wasnt Bjugstad one of the guys who was injured last yr too? Hard to judge him on that over his past performance that suggests he could be a 20g guy again. Maybe Vegas wouldnt have taken him but I think they likely would have and probably would've either flipped him to a team looking for size down the middle (see MTL) or given him top 6 icetime and hoping he rebounded and traded him next offseason possibly for a greater return. Size down the middle is something that teams will be interested in so it wasnt a horrible decision to protect him if he does rebound.

Is there any rumors regarding trades too for the Panthers? I would think with the draft this weekend, there is also a good opportunity to make a move to acquire a forward to replace some of that scoring lost and not just wait till FA starts. If there's not, then I'm guessing they go hard after a guy like Oshie with some of that money saved as well as bringing back Jagr.

The grit part I get, but I feel like that's something that can be found in FA without breaking the bank. Of course he still has the potential to put up respectable offensive numbers for his TOI.
I can't recall how our pairings were last year, but I want to say both Pysyk and Petro played on the same pairing at one point but I forget who played at RD(both are RHD).

Yes, Bjugstad had a wrist injury which kept him out for a month+ to start the year. Then he got injured again. Which does make me wonder how durable can he be in the NHL. The year he signed his extension he had back surgery to end his season early, dealt with migraines the following year(concussions?) etc.
Just got to hope he trains well and gets some luck regarding random injuries. He does need to develop the defensive side of his game though.
It's one thing when he was a healthy driving to the net 25G scorer, you can overlook some defensive lapses. But when he isn't providing offense then he sort of is a black hole. Maybe confidence played a role too, but it seemed like he just fell apart as a player. Skating slowed down and his puck protection was lacking.

Not that I know of other than possibly Dadanov coming back

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
As a combo move, this has to be one of the worst trades in recent memory. Florida gained a 4th round pick and chose to protect Alex Petrovic in exchange for sacrificing a combined 135 points.
Don't forget the actual dollars they saved by replacing Smith with Dadonov and using an ELC (Malgin / Mamin / whomever) instead of giving Marchessault a raise.

Disgusting trade.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
The stat guys wouldn't have made that trade :sarcasm:
Not sure why the :sarcasm: emoticon. They wouldn't have.
Tallon has done a lot of things right during the past offseason. The return he got for Marchesseault and Smith isn't one of them.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Wait until you see that 4th round pick turn into the best player the NHL has ever seen :sarcasm:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
One of the worst trades of all time. Tallon doesn't screw up the expansion draft, Florida is easily in a playoff spot.

Just such an obviously bad move by Tallon. This and the Bolland signing are Hall of Fame worthy bad moves.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
At least the Oilers got a player that helps them, Florida basically gave away 2 free players.

Edmonton used 1rst overall pick to get Hall
Panthers used Jimmy Hayes for Reilly Smith and signed Marshessault as UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad