Confirmed Trade: [VGK/FLA] Reilly Smith + expose Marchessault for 2018 4th round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Marchessault - Barkov - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Smith
McGinn - Malgin - Bjugstad
McCann - MacKenzie - Sceviour

That top 6 is disgusting. Even if they didn't get Dadonov, plug Bjugstad there with the season he had and it's still a disgusting top 6.
would they have signed dadonov if the kept smith and marchasseault?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, at the time I honestly thought it was a decent enough trade. Get rid of Smith's "awful" contract and all it costs you is a one year wonder. What could go wrong?
same here. i also remember that the owners said that the payroll had to be at most 65 million, so they had to save cap somehow. they got rid of nearly 6 million with those two gone.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Tallon gonna Tallon. Panthers fans have my sympathy.
Why? Tallon puts together a 105 point team, stats nerds fire a top 3 NHL coach and finish with 80, bring the good GM back and almost at 100 again. I would feel bad for us only if the non hockey people stayed.

Reactions: Laus723

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Why? Tallon puts together a 105 point team, stats nerds fire a top 3 NHL coach and finish with 80, bring the good GM back and almost at 100 again. I would feel bad for us only if the non hockey people stayed.
Yeah I’m sure the “nerds” really hampered the team by trading Erik Gudbranson and Dmitry Kulikov two awful hockey players.

I’m sure Barkov and Huberdeau missing significant time last year had nothing to do with their bad season..

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Someone want to explain to me how exactly the “nerds” f***ed up?

They traded Erik Gudbranson who’s absolutely terrible for the 33rd pick and Jared McCann were able to move Kulikov for a high pick and signed a 80 point forward for under 3 million a year.

That’s f***ing amazing.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Florida left the guy who ended up with 75pts in 77 games so vegas would take the contract of the 5mil guy who had 60pts in 67 games?

almost as bad as columbus giving vegas a 43g scorer,1st and 2nd to take on clarksons IR cap hit, and stay away from anderson,johnson, and korpisalo.

almost

Feb 24, 2017
Someone want to explain to me how exactly the “nerds” ****ed up?

They traded Erik Gudbranson who’s absolutely terrible for the 33rd pick and Jared McCann were able to move Kulikov for a high pick and signed a 80 point forward for under 3 million a year.

That’s ****ing amazing.
I don’t have a dog in this fight, but maybe one error they can be seen as committing is underestimating the impact a coach can have, because you can’t quantify it in your excel spreadsheet. They literally left gallant on the curb to catch his own cab home fired, and he’s seen as a big reason the Golden Knights are so good.

Reactions: cptjeff and AvsGuy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

That’s ****ing amazing.

Huberdeau - Barkov- Dadonov
Marchessault -Trochek -Smith

thats six 60+ pt players. and all they had to do was just allow vegas to take petrovic/pysyk
arguably the best top 6 core in the league

Reactions: AvsGuy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
same here. i also remember that the owners said that the payroll had to be at most 65 million, so they had to save cap somehow. they got rid of nearly 6 million with those two gone.

and that 6 million had 135pts in 144 games
Vrbata and McGinn made the same amount and combined for 18g/42pts

bad choices cost that team a playoff spot. what a dominant top 6 they could have add keeping their guys and then adding dadonov.

Reactions: AvsGuy
Feb 24, 2017
Huberdeau - Barkov- Dadonov
Marchessault -Trochek -Smith

thats six 60+ pt players. and all they had to do was just allow vegas to take petrovic/pysyk
arguably the best top 6 core in the league
Halla, you balla, I think you may have been mistaken about what the poster asked. Was it not Tallon who decided who to let go to Las Vegas? This poster is asking what damage the stats geeks managers of Florida past did.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL

That’s ****ing amazing.

Brilliant trades, brought in some great additions...but then supposedly had infighting with an amazing coach who the players trusted and believed in and fired him. Rowe took over and even with Barkov and Hubs back the team never looked cohesive or simply that they bought in. Took till midway this season to gel and buy in. Then they looked amazing.

Great additions and subtractions two years ago, but they lost the room.

Sure don’t miss Guds or Kuli

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
And our top 2 scorers in 2015/16 were Jagr with 66 points (27 goals) and Jokinen with 60 points (18 goals), while also getting 62 games of Luongo's superb goaltending. The next year Huberdeau missed almost the entire season, Ekblad and Bjugstad had absolutely awful years due to injuries and in Ekblad's case also losing Campbell/not being sheltered for the first time in his career; Luongo was injured which affected his game - but sure, let's simplify it to Tallon = good, Computer boys = bad.

FWIW I really like this year's group. Tallon has done a great job with Dadonov's contract, getting Boughner, the Demers/McGinn trade, even the Sateri and Haapala signing; there's no more of this mess when nobody knows who's really in charge of what; most importantly, our young core finally took the step forward and took over this team.

Still doesn't change that our expansion draft looked very bad last summer and looks much worse now.
Yes, you don't want to simplify it to Tallon = good, Computer boys = bad. But I noticed you didn't have a problem when he said 'Good thing Tallon took over from the "Computer Boys."', in response to this trade. I mean, if you were really concerned about skewing reality here, I would think you would have addressed that post first before I did, or at least at the same time, instead of not at all.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yeah I’m sure the “nerds” really hampered the team by trading Erik Gudbranson and Dmitry Kulikov two awful hockey players.

I’m sure Barkov and Huberdeau missing significant time last year had nothing to do with their bad season..
During the substantial expanse of time that the entire team was healthy, they played no better than they did the whole season.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yes, you don't want to simplify it to Tallon = good, Computer boys = bad. But I noticed you didn't have a problem when he said 'Good thing Tallon took over from the "Computer Boys."', in response to this trade. I mean, if you were really concerned about skewing reality here, I would think you would have addressed that post first before I did, or at least at the same time, instead of not at all.
I have literally said earlier in this thread "Tallon has done a lot of good things in this past offseason" (post #164). I'm sorry, do you expect me to answer to every single post?

In retrospect, the "Computer boys" were done the minute Rowe replaced Gallant as a coach. One of Tallon's biggest strenghts is that he's good with people - he's very well-liked by players, personnell, people around the league - and that's not a small thing. Rowe OTOH sucks at this, which isn't ideal for a GM though you can still work with it, but it's absolutely deadly in a coach. Maybe things would have been different if Huberdeau never got hurt; maybe if they didn't fire Gallant or at least got a competent replacement... Point is after Rowe coaching, a new GM was simply a must and Tallon had multiple things going for him, like being part of the organisation, being well-liked and providing stability instead of bringing in a third vision in so many years.

Again, he has done quite well this year other than the disastrous expansion draft. I'd love to see him become the first Panthers GM to win a cup and things like Bolland, expansion draft being just forgotten footnotes. He had his retool year, we have a competent coach again, our players have never been better - he's in a great position right now to be our hero. Just hoping he doesn't mess it up.

Reactions: Laus723

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

That’s ****ing amazing.
They traded kulikov and a higher pick to buffalo for a lower pick and who was the 80 point forward they signed for under 3 million?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Panthers protected list was:
Barkov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bjugstad up front.
Ekblad, Yandle, Petrovic, Pysyk on D
Reimer in G.

So, the Panther decided that having either Petrovic or Pysyk was more valuable than JM and 2 extra forwards. Interesting call..

As for the cut in payroll, who changes the amount they spend on payroll like that? There was NO change in ownership. So, if you ok the contracts the year or two prior, why are you demanding change so soon afterwards those contracts kick in? Have a freaking plan and stick to it.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Probably the dumbest or 2nd dumbest move in team history, competing with the Chris Wells trade

I like that I’ve been obsessing over NHL stats long enough to remember what this is

For you youngens, Florida acquires Chris Wells (junior power forward, never topped 15 points in 5 NHL seasons) from Pittsburgh for Stu Barnes (key cog from the Florida 96 cup run who went on to be a protypical 3rd line centre for Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Dallas) and Jason Woolley (reliable top 4 defenseman who later went on to be clutch for Buffalo). In fact this trade might’ve benefitted Buffalo the most during their 99 Finals run.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I like that I’ve been obsessing over NHL stats long enough to remember what this is

For you youngens, Florida acquires Chris Wells (junior power forward, never topped 15 points in 5 NHL seasons) from Pittsburgh for Stu Barnes (key cog from the Florida 96 cup run who went on to be a protypical 3rd line centre for Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Dallas) and Jason Woolley (reliable top 4 defenseman who later went on to be clutch for Buffalo). In fact this trade might’ve benefitted Buffalo the most during their 99 Finals run.
Stop. I still have PTSD from that deal

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Tallon in charge the 2015-2016 season, 103 points. Computer boys in charge the 2016-2017, 81 points. Tallon back in charge the 2017-2018 season, 96 points.
Panthers went at about the same pace before and after Gallant firing that year. Computer boys might have gotten the Panthers to 110 points with Marchessault and Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad