Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CGY/PHI] Noah Hanifin (75% retained), Mikhail Vorobyov to VGK; 2026 1st , 2025 cond. 3rd, Daniil Miromanov to CGY; 2024 5th to PHI

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I also don't think it's a bad idea to have picks pushed to next year or year after.

Conroy had a lot on his plate this year, but one thing he is going to have to look at is how much confidence he has in his scouting department. Sure at some point he's going to have to evaluate who he has and potentially make some changes there too.
I trust the player evaluations of a guy who has 1000+ NHL games under his belt and has 9 years AGM experience. Conroy knows what talent looks like and doesn't have to solely rely on a scouts opinion.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Weegar and Backlund, were the first that came to my mind. And I think they both are tradeable.

Rasmus, Weegar, Backlund, Kadri, and Huberdeau are going nowhere this summer imo.

Mangiapane and Kuzmenko seem like the next guys to be traded, likely in the summer, maybe next TDL. But assuming we keep them;

Pelletier gets like 2M? Maybe not even. Kylington gets 4-5M. Still would have like 13M in cap space with the only glaring hole being a 2nd pairing defense and Sharangovich at center(which has not been a problem so far). Management is definitely going to try and jump right back in next year.

Reactions: Nanuuk

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Rasmus, Weegar, Backlund, Kadri, and Huberdeau are going nowhere this summer imo.

Mangiapane and Kuzmenko seem like the next guys to be traded, likely in the summer, maybe next TDL. But assuming we keep them;

Pelletier gets like 2M? Maybe not even. Kylington gets 4-5M. Still would have like 13M in cap space with the only glaring hole being a 2nd pairing defense and Sharangovich at center(which has not been a problem so far). Management is definitely going to try and jump right back in next year.

What if some of them ask for a trade?

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Not sure why you'd do that as an agent, seems dumb and has no real positives at all. I am also confused why being from Boston he'd be so big on going to Tampa who seems to more or less be at the end of their run now with guys aging and needs to retool somewhat
Because they wanted him to get traded to Tampa and not have to play another quarter of a season for another team.

Too bad for Hanifin. Although I'm sure Vegas could tempt him with an offer.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Damn the rental got traded for a rental price who could have seen that coming. "with extension" remains the most bullshit term of all time

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
f*** VGK. There is a limit to what is reasonable.

The 83m (or whatever the precise number is) cap should be active during the playoffs.

If you have 100m in players available? You only get to play 83m worth on the ice at one time.

SUre, then players will have to get paid during the playoffs and salaries will go up.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Just so people know, it was reported this morning by Ryan Leslie that Hanifin's agent had been leaking to every team that he will only sign with the Lightning. And no one else.

The Lightning knew the position they were in, and didn't offer much.

Basically, Hanifin agent really put the Flames in a bad position. The trade is a result of that.
That would be so good, hope this is true and stays this way till Free Agency!

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Because they wanted him to get traded to Tampa and not have to play another quarter of a season for another team.

Too bad for Hanifin. Although I'm sure Vegas could tempt him with an offer.
I don't think it was the best play by the agent. You're lowering the trade value and thumbing your nose at the GM, meaning he's ultimately going to trade your player anywhere but where he actually wants to go.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t know you can call it a fumble. I’m sure they took the best deal available. Teams just aren’t willing to pay much for pending UFAs any more.

I get that to a degree, but Hanifin is a legit #2-3 level D man. It seems skeptical that not a single other team would offer even a similar deal. Especially given there was retention involved

A mid to late first draft selection in 2026 may not make their NHL debut until like 2030....

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I have a strong feeling that GMs from other teams were turned off by the picky attitude of Hanifin. I only want to play for Tampa. It's like a mother taking her kid into a toy store and says she will buy her this toy. Then her kid says I only want that toy. Then whines about it, Wah wah wah.

You think this is attractive to other teams? They know Hanifin is only going to sign with Tampa. So why bother trading for someone who doesn't want to play for you?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I get that to a degree, but Hanifin is a legit #2-3 level D man. It seems skeptical that not a single other team would offer even a similar deal. Especially given there was retention involved

A mid to late first draft selection in 2026 may not make their NHL debut until like 2030....
Teams just aren't willing to give up much for a pure rental. Hanifin's agent made it publicly known he wants to sign in TB, which is almost certainly where he'll wind up next season as long as TB has the cap room.

TB has no incentive to give up a lot because Hanfin's going there next year regardless. And no other team will give up much because they know they likely can't re-sign him.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
What if some of them ask for a trade?
Doesn't mean the team has to comply. And if the team does then you don't get to go where you want to go. You go where you're told.

All in all I would say I am a bit underwhelmed with the return for Hanifin.

However, it is what it is and I'm sure the best that could be made under the circumstances.

Given that our scouting dept was revamped under Treliving and that Conroy has an eye for talent given his experience as a play and AGM (where he did a lot of scouting), the Flames did alright on this deal.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Flames new blueline. Miromanov will get a good opportunity in Calgary. It gets Osterle out of the top 6.

Kylington - Andersson
Gibert - Weegar
Hanley - Miromanov/Pachal

x - Osterle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Teams just aren't willing to give up much for a pure rental. Hanifin's agent made it publicly known he wants to sign in TB, which is almost certainly where he'll wind up next season as long as TB has the cap room.

TB has no incentive to give up a lot because Hanfin's going there next year regardless. And no other team will give up much because they know they likely can't re-sign him.
Nailed it

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It’s a mediocre return because everyone knows Hanifin has a small list of teams he’s willing to sign with long-term. He also had an 8-team NMC list. It’s not like Conroy panicked and took the first deal that came along. He held out as long as he could. No one was willing to offer much.

Even as a pure rental, this return seems mediocre for who I thought was the best player on the market. Most of the players traded for 1sts+ are really guys the acquiring teams are probably not going to sign either.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Tampa is smart. Why give up anything for Hanifin when Noah will come running full on sprint to them as soon as the summer starts? It wouldn't surprise me if Noah already bought a new place in Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad