Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CGY/PHI] Noah Hanifin (75% retained), Mikhail Vorobyov to VGK; 2026 1st , 2025 cond. 3rd, Daniil Miromanov to CGY; 2024 5th to PHI

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
What i don't get is the timing. I mean, if it's one hour till the deadline and that's the best offer on the table, so be it. But two days before? Why not wait and see if some other team becomes desperate and ups their offer?
Settling for this trade now sort of indicates, that the package met Conroy's asking price, which would be...interesting.
Conroy's MO is "never be the bag holder". Been that way since he started and its because of how things ended with his former boss.

Do I think this is the best approach? No. However, it's about not letting another Gaudreau scenario play out.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
With the players they still have there is no heavy tanking. By 2027, we may/probably have a new arena but the team will be in the same spot as it is in right now.

They are middle table when they had Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm. Imagine how they’ll look when Markstrom is on a new team.

They won’t be able to defend or stop much of anything. I predict a bottom 6 finish next year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I also don't think it's a bad idea to have picks pushed to next year or year after.

Conroy had a lot on his plate this year, but one thing he is going to have to look at is how much confidence he has in his scouting department. Sure at some point he's going to have to evaluate who he has and potentially make some changes there too.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I was initially very disappointed with the return too because I really had my sights set on a C prospect. But in the grand scheme of things, I’m realizing it doesn’t really matter. Let’s say we got Edstrom instead of the conditional 2nd, would everyone be happy then? Reading Scott Wheeler’s assessment of Edstrom, he projects as a “solid 3C.” So we got a 3rd/ conditional 2nd instead of a projected 3C. Does that really matter? Our roster is basically just missing elite top-6 C’s, and we weren’t getting a prospect with that potential in a Hanifin trade.

The more important thing is that Conroy has chosen a direction for our future and is sticking to it. I still wish we got a better return, but imo I still give Conroy credit and don’t think this trade was nearly as much of a negative as people think
Yes Edstrom would be vastly preferrable to a conditional 2nd. That said, this isn't me blaming Conroy for an agent that walked the line of propriety. I just think the return is bad. The Lindholm deal exceeded the return I thought we'd get. This one was well under. I was hoping for Edstrom and a 1st with a weak tweener type. I don't have the 2nd/3rd in the same category as Edstrom.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Just so people know, it was reported this morning by Ryan Leslie that Hanifin's agent had been leaking to every team that he will only sign with the Lightning. And no one else.

The Lightning knew the position they were in, and didn't offer much.

Basically, Hanifin agent really put the Flames in a bad position. The trade is a result of that.

Not sure why you'd do that as an agent, seems dumb and has no real positives at all. I am also confused why being from Boston he'd be so big on going to Tampa who seems to more or less be at the end of their run now with guys aging and needs to retool somewhat

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
They are middle table when they had Tanev, Hanifin, Lindholm. Imagine how they’ll look when Markstrom is on a new team.

They won’t be able to defend or stop much of anything. I predict a bottom 6 finish next year.

Markstrom is not gone yet, but he will mostly likely.

I also wonder how many players ask out because they don’t want to be part of a rebuild.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The Calgary Prairie Sharks baby.

As long as they give us youth, excitement, that’s all this fan base could ask for really.

Gotta hit on some prospects here too in a big way. But I wouldn’t take tanking for McKenna in 26 off the table for this team.

Also look at contract builds; this team barely has anyone signed past 2 years.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Markstrom is not gone yet, but he will mostly likely.

I also wonder how many players ask out because they don’t want to be part of a rebuild.

You'd be surprised how many pro athletes do not really care about winning a championship. Some do and for some its ultimately why they play the game but a vast majority are just thrilled to be playing a sport for a living and making good money and can retire with no real regrets regarding never having won a title

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't know....Right now I'd prefer TB's 2024 1st, and I'm sure we would have gotten an actual prospect. I think they might have just stiffed Tampa.
Tampa's first available 1st rounder is 2026. Slim pickings with Tampa.

Screenshot_2024-03-07-09-00-24-755.jpg

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'm actually coming around to this after being pissed last night.

A possible unprotected 26 first for a team like Vegas is intriguing. One of these days it's going to blow up in their face. Could be worth more than their pick this year where I think they'll get to the third round. And we already have Vancouver's.

I don't even want to re-read the Florida/Montreal stipulations again but we have 5 first round picks in the next three years.

Plus likely a 2nd and the Russian. I thought that was just to make the contract room work but seems like this guy could actually be an effective bottom pairing guy. Checks all the boxes.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Yes Edstrom would be vastly preferrable to a conditional 2nd. That said, this isn't me blaming Conroy for an agent that walked the line of propriety. I just think the return is bad. The Lindholm deal exceeded the return I thought we'd get. This one was well under. I was hoping for Edstrom and a 1st with a weak tweener type. I don't have the 2nd/3rd in the same category as Edstrom.
Ya that’s fair and I agree, I’d prefer Edstrom over a 2nd/3rd too. But in my (very) limited viewings of Edstrom at the WJC’s, I don’t see him as a potential top of the lineup player either. So does it really make a big difference in the grand scheme of things?

Like I agree it’s a slight loss value wise and not a very good return but really a potential solid 3C vs a conditional 2nd is not far off. I would say it’s a meh return but we were kidding ourselves if we thought we’d get much more. I know I was kidding myself thinking we could get a Mavrik Bourque or Savoie AND a high pick in return for a rental where we lost all our leverage because of Hanifin’s agent.

The return is meh but we gotta at least appreciate Conroy actually putting his money where his mouth is and getting at least some value for his assets. We haven’t been able to say that in a long time. If this was Brad he’d either let him walk for nothing like Brodie or re-sign him to an awful contract and then pay to get rid of him like Monahan lol

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You'd be surprised how many pro athletes do not really care about winning a championship. Some do and for some its ultimately why they play the game but a vast majority are just thrilled to be playing a sport for a living and making good money and can retire with no real regrets regarding never having won a title

I agree with you but I think they would want to be out of the spotlight and in warmer weather.

celtic man

Apr 24, 2023
Mark Stone can call Kucherov and borrow his swinsuit so he can swim off Robidas Issland in time for game one of playoffs

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I agree with you but I think they would want to be out of the spotlight and in warmer weather.

It sure seems that way lately. I never recall hearing complaints about Calgary/Edmonton years back...Winnipeg was the one which everyone hated and Eddie O has made this clear many times that guys always dreaded being traded there but I think nowadays with UFA being more a thing than in 1988 more guys just want to avoid high cost/bad weather cities for sure. Its really an issue for the NHL too since you're forced to live there when weather is bad. MLB guys can just live in FLA or California in winter and many do

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not sure why you'd do that as an agent, seems dumb and has no real positives at all. I am also confused why being from Boston he'd be so big on going to Tampa who seems to more or less be at the end of their run now with guys aging and needs to retool somewhat
I have to guess taxes and the fact that he really loves golfing which you can do during the hockey season in Tampa.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Were they ever even mentioned as a potential suitor? Talk about a dark horse.

Between low taxes and having a competitive team, I imagine they will have a great chance at re-signing him. Cap is going up, Martinez is gone.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3