Confirmed Signing with Link: Vesey signs with the New York Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Boston had to claw their way to the Cup in every series in 2011 except against the Habs. All seven game series.

Actually Boston beat Montreal in OT in Game 7. Their route to the Stanley Cup was this: beat Montreal in 7, swept Philadelphia in 4, beat Tampa Bay in 7 and then beat Vancouver in 7 games.

And they couldn't match up with about the same team against the Blackhawks two years later, in part due to center depth.

Center depth was not Boston's problem in 2013. When your Centers are Bergeron, Krejci, Peverly/Kelly and Campbell then it's actually one of your strengths.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
alot or a lot means you like something so much :)

You do realize a lot =/= alot?

I was pointing out the fact the poster was criticizing someone's spelling while also making a grammar mistake in the process. But thanks for helping me iron out that E.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You do realize a lot =/= alot?

I was pointing out the fact the poster was criticizing someone's spelling while also making a grammar mistake in the process. But thanks for helping me iron out that E.

Alot is a town in India. :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
NY is a major market, for a player it is an attractive place to play. Good team with a decent window to contend for the cup.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Actually Boston beat Montreal in OT in Game 7. Their route to the Stanley Cup was this: beat Montreal in 7, swept Philadelphia in 4, beat Tampa Bay in 7 and then beat Vancouver in 7 games.

Center depth was not Boston's problem in 2013. When your Centers are Bergeron, Krejci, Peverly/Kelly and Campbell then it's actually one of your strengths.

Exactly.

In the past 10 years, if there's something that has always been a point of strength, it was indeed centers.
LOL @ the dude saying that Boston had two #2 centers. I would like to know what other #2 center lead the entire league in points in two different playoffs. LOL @ Bergeron not being elite.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
If you think that Boston only won a Cup because of Thomas, you might be new to this "hockey" thing...

Tim Thomas had to have arguably the best season/post season in NHL history for the Bruins to win the cup. Only reason? Of course not. Main reason? **** yeah...i can't think of another recent cup winner that relied on goaltending that much

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hate to break the news to you but your Maple Leafs have more 30 and older players than the Rangers do on their roster---and we don't even have to count Horton or Robidas.

The Rangers have 5.

1. Lundqvist-34--still an excellent NHL goaltender.
2. Nash-32---a disappointment but a top 6 NHL winger anyway you want to slice it.
3. Girardi-32
4. Klein-32--still a very dependable D.
5. Glass-32--on the last year of his contract.

Maple Leafs without Horton and Robidas have 7.
1. Lupul-33--injury plagued
2. Laich-33--on his last legs.
3. Michalek-31
4. Hunwick-31
5. Bozak-30
6. Polak-30
7. Greening-30

So pretty much I don't what you're talking about. Between those guys and all the other guys the Maple Leafs are paying not to play for them a case could be made that your team needs outside help in handling its finances and cap.

The difference is the term and usage. Staal and girardi have been top 4 and top 2 dmen in the past. They got paid and signed long term deals. Now they are still expected to play those roles when they have declined to bottom pairing staus. Our cap was managed bad previously. Now though, the only player signed from that list for 17/18 are bozak( top 6 center who can play and provide value), and lupes who may never play fo the leafs again. Compared to Staal, girardi who have over 3 years on both there deals. Plus lundqvuist is 34. He won't stay elite for ever and is there for another 5 seasons. The good thing for the Rangers is that they have retoold well and added good 2nd liners and 3rd liners. You guys need to find a way to get a star player (preferably a center). The easiset way to get one is tank for patrick. But even than drafting a number 1 center and having a number 1 center on your nhl team are tworking different things. The Rangers will be competitive for another 3- 4 seasons. If they can find a way to add shatty next season while losing staal/girardi and trade for a top winger that wants out than they could pull a penguin like retool.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Tim Thomas had to have arguably the best season/post season in NHL history for the Bruins to win the cup. Only reason? Of course not. Main reason? **** yeah...i can't think of another recent cup winner that relied on goaltending that much

So the play of Chara/Seidenberg, all the game winners by Horton, the great scoring by Marchand, Krejci leading the league in points, Bergeron in Selke form, Peverley replacing Horton after the horrible predatory hit by Rome & the team not missing a beat, etc etc... All mere details?

This was a team total effort. Everyone stepped it up a ton of notches, Thomas deserved the Conn Smythe as the best of them, but let's not infer that he was pulling the cart and the others were sightseeing.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think it's more an issue, at least in my mind that Rangers fans are delusional as to where their team stands. The Metro is the only division in this league where it's dead obvious who is going to finish 1 and 2 in the division. There is virtually zero shot of anyone other than Washington and Pittsburgh claiming those two spots. That in essence puts the Rangers into a potential dogfight with the Isles or Flyers for that 3rd spot, because that 4th spot is no sure thing given Detroit and Boston both got better.
I'll take those odds.

Not sure how relevant a lot of this contender stuff is though, I doubt players share this popular black-and-white sunrise/-set "formulaic" view of winning that fans do, or that some of them even care about winning as much as fans think. Like the guy is at home thinking "...ok, but is Derek Stepan a true #1 center? or is he #1B...or maybe a #2A+?...#1.5C?..."

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If I never hear Vesey's name again I will still be too long

The hype and media attention over this is unbelievable for someone who isn't even a top 30 prospect.

:shakehead:shakehead

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
They scored like 26 goals in the scf. Thomas played great, but he didn't need to.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Does BUF get compensated? Or is this a legit loophole?

If I'm remembering this right, only first rounders who sign with other teams like this get compensated in the form of a 2nd round pick in the slot the player was taken. For example: Player drafted #16 overall gets the #46 pick as compensation.

I could be totally wrong though

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
They scored like 26 goals in the scf. Thomas played great, but he didn't need to.

Um, going to game 7 multiple times with Thomas posting those numbers means yes...Thomas had to be amazing....beyond amazing. If he didn't, than the amount of goals scored is a moot point.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Issued my point. The good center depth. The point is to have center depth with a high end #1 center at the top of the depth chart.

Like Krejci and would trade a lot for Bergeron, I don't consider either high end like Crosby, Datsyuk, Kopitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad