Player Discussion: Vesalainen Thread

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I’d give the kid a little more time. In his defence, he didn’t really have the greatest offensive players to play with on the Moose. It important for him to be a driver (which he started to do) but his quality of line mates weren’t the best

Reactions: GumbyCan2

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think people also need to remember that if he was a player drafted out of the CHL, this past season would have been the first one that he would have been eligible to play in the AHL.

We still have two years left on his ELC, plenty of time left for development. One would think players like Harkins and Appelton would be a good reminder on being patient with prospects.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think people also need to remember that if he was a player drafted out of the CHL, this past season would have been the first one that he would have been eligible to play in the AHL.

We still have two years left on his ELC, plenty of time left for development. One would think players like Harkins and Appelton would be a good reminder on being patient with prospects.
Except ppl were hoping for a top 6 guy. Harkins and Apple have only been bottom 6.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Except ppl were hoping for a top 6 guy. Harkins and Apple have only been bottom 6.

The point is that sometimes prospects take a bit longer to develop then others.

He still easily has top 6 tools and potential. He just needs to continue to develop consistency in using the tools he has. Additional physical development will really help him to use his size and strength more.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
should have dealt him for a top 6 c years ago. now who knows what his value is around the league. don't think many scouting/prospect publications are high on him anymore

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think he’s developing well. Often times last year he was the best player on the Moose, which is what we need to see from him.

He’s completely revamped his game and I think there’s still a good chance he becomes an effective middle six forward for us.

Also, speaking of the Moose, why can’t we ever have a competitive team in the AHL? It would probably help our prospects out a bit. Instead, our team is garbage in the A every year.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he’s developing well. Often times last year he was the best player on the Moose, which is what we need to see from him.

He’s completely revamped his game and I think there’s still a good chance he becomes an effective middle six forward for us.

Also, speaking of the Moose, why can’t we ever have a competitive team in the AHL? It would probably help our prospects out a bit. Instead, our team is garbage in the A every year.

I wonder that alas well. I think it’s because we draft players and completely change their game

Most players on the moose are being taught how to forget almost everything they ever done and learn how to play the jets way.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

As an STH, I agree that the last few years have made for painful viewing. At time the players and coaching staff have seemed to be visibly frustrated, although there have been periods of strong play. I do feel that Berdin's arrival helped with the team energy but even with the "development league" ethos it's hard to expect fans to shell out for a low-end product, and watching the Moose D get shelled night in and out made for a whole lot of early exits for us at least.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
should have dealt him for a top 6 c years ago. now who knows what his value is around the league. don't think many scouting/prospect publications are high on him anymore

The Athletic just did a article on 22 year olds and under and the Jets' list was Laine, Slamberg, KV, Heinola and Gus as their top five so KV is still ranked pretty high.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
As an STH, I agree that the last few years have made for painful viewing. At time the players and coaching staff have seemed to be visibly frustrated, although there have been periods of strong play. I do feel that Berdin's arrival helped with the team energy but even with the "development league" ethos it's hard to expect fans to shell out for a low-end product, and watching the Moose D get shelled night in and out made for a whole lot of early exits for us at least.

yeah, Moose have been hot garbage for the majority of their time since returning. Somethings gotta give.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

We should have dealt a guy drafted in 2017, "years ago" for a top 6 C?

A) When did you decide he was such a bust that he should've been moved? Immediately? Because 2017 is barely years ago on its own.

B) Who was trading a top 6 C for a winger drafted in the late 1st?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We should have dealt a guy drafted in 2017, "years ago" for a top 6 C?

A) When did you decide he was such a bust that he should've been moved? Immediately? Because 2017 is barely years ago on its own.

B) Who was trading a top 6 C for a winger drafted in the late 1st?
I actually never said he was a bust. He could be a top 9 fwd but definitely the chances of him being a high end top 6 has dwindled tremendously. And we should have almost any prospect on the table for a legit top 6 C signed under contract, not sure how this is even a question at this point.

Buffalo traded ROR for a package that included Tage Thompson who was a late 1st from 2016

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I actually never said he was a bust. He could be a top 9 fwd but definitely the chances of him being a high end top 6 has dwindled tremendously. And we should have almost any prospect on the table for a legit top 6 C signed under contract, not sure how this is even a question at this point.

Buffalo traded ROR for a package that included Tage Thompson who was a late 1st from 2016

Risto & Reinhart for KVes, Letestu & Sbisa. Buffalo you know you want it. On a second thought, Ehlers-Letestu-Laine would keep ELL going and maybe a veteran glue guy will make a difference.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
yeah, Moose have been hot garbage for the majority of their time since returning. Somethings gotta give.

...which is odd considering the pre-Jets Moose. The old Moose teams still developed a ton of good players for Vancouver but also found a way to load up with the Jaffrays, Krogs and Keanes of the AHL to ice a playoff AHL team most years. I know we signed Logan Shaw to basically be that guy, but we should be able to sneak in at least a handful of good AHL vets every year rather than the current 1 or 2.

Reactions: snowkiddin

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Oh, I agree that trading for a 2C is a top priority, I was just questioning your use of "years ago" to describe a 21 year old kid who apparently has no top 6 upside, and then also further questioning what value you think he had if he could've been traded for a signed top 6 centre.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
...which is odd considering the pre-Jets Moose. The old Moose teams still developed a ton of good players for Vancouver but also found a way to load up with the Jaffrays, Krogs and Keanes of the AHL to ice a playoff AHL team most years. I know we signed Logan Shaw to basically be that guy, but we should be able to sneak in at least a handful of good AHL vets every year rather than the current 1 or 2.
The main difference then was while we were the farm team of the Canucks, the Moose was owned by TNSE so a balance needed to be made between development of Canuck prospects and icing a veteran team that prioritized winning over development.The current organization has made it clear the Moose is for the development of their young prospects. They aren't looking to get established AHL vets to take on the important roles and eat up ice time. They want their kids on the ice late in the 3rd when the game is on the line. They want them on the PP and PK etc. Sitting on the bench watching young prospects play the important roles is not particularly appealing to career AHLers.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Oh, I agree that trading for a 2C is a top priority, I was just questioning your use of "years ago" to describe a 21 year old kid who apparently has no top 6 upside, and then also further questioning what value you think he had if he could've been traded for a signed top 6 centre.
he could have been included in a trade for a top 6 c years ago when he was getting hype and was ranked pretty highly among prospect analysts. What was difference between him and a value of a prospect like Tage Thompson in 2018? Vesalainen was probably higher. But now? who knows, his value and hype is definitely not the same anymore, hence why i am questioning if he could land one. not sure what the issue is here...

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Athletic just did a article on 22 year olds and under and the Jets' list was Laine, Slamberg, KV, Heinola and Gus as their top five so KV is still ranked pretty high.
League-wide i am talking about. The Jets have a weak prospect pool right now since they have been picking later in drafts and trading picks. So he might be a top 3 prospect here, but on teams like Carolina, LA, Detroit, NJD, NYR, EDM, MTL, OTT, COL etc. not sure if this is the case

hockeynews latest affiliated prospects had him at 98 league wide, neither TSN and the Athletic had him in the top 50

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad