Post-Game Talk: #VegasStronger - Golden Knights 3, Jets 2 (OT)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Do people realize that in OT it is not always easy for players to change, especially D.

Buff had a perfect chance to change about a minute, maybe a bit less, into the 3v3 last night. He didn't and got caught on a long shift. On the shift that Vegas scored on, I wasn't paying attention to how long he had been out there, but he was so tired he couldn't even put his stick on the shooters stick on the game winning shot. All he needed to do was to reach out. And if he wasn't that tired, it sure begs the question why he just stood there like a 265 lb pylon.

His selfishness is costing us points in OT. I like the rest of his game - the good is great, and to get the great Buf you get some bad Buf. I am ok with that. But his 3v3 is really hurting us. Maybe he felt ok after the first (almost) minute in OT, but you know that if you don't change now, you could get caught out there so you take the opportunity to change. But not Buf.

Reactions: Board Bard and GNP

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Buff had a perfect chance to change about a minute, maybe a bit less, into the 3v3 last night. He didn't and got caught on a long shift. On the shift that Vegas scored on, I wasn't paying attention to how long he had been out there, but he was so tired he couldn't even put his stick on the shooters stick on the game winning shot. All he needed to do was to reach out. And if he wasn't that tired, it sure begs the question why he just stood there like a 265 lb pylon.

His selfishness is costing us points in OT. I like the rest of his game - the good is great, and to get the great Buf you get some bad Buf. I am ok with that. But his 3v3 is really hurting us. Maybe he felt ok after the first (almost) minute in OT, but you know that if you don't change now, you could get caught out there so you take the opportunity to change. But not Buf.

I think Morrissey missing a wide open net cost us points last night

Reactions: AlphaLackey and GNP

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Then how do you explain us getting the lion's share of the good chances, and getting them before the Knights got any of theirs?

When you see a movie so many times, you pretty much know how it ends.

When I see Buf starting the 3v3, I pretty much know that we will lose in OT. Yeah, maybe I will be wrong. But unfortunately, I am usually right. And it usually ends with Buf on the ice. I don't think I am the only one that feels this way. It's not like I and the other people who feel this way are geniuses for usually being right. It's because Buf and 3v3 don't go well together. Now some people will say that 3v3 is a coin toss. But I am not in that camp. 3v3 player utilization and strategy matter imho. There is an element of randomness and 'luck' in any sport. But there are things you can do to put the odds of success more heavily in your favor. We aren't doing those things in 3v3 right now imho.

Reactions: Board Bard and GNP

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
When you see a movie so many times, you pretty much know how it ends.

When I see Buf starting the 3v3, I pretty much know that we will lose in OT. Yeah, maybe I will be wrong. But unfortunately, I am usually right.

You *were* usually right, for a stretch. He started the last 3 on 3 that we won in 3 on 3; he started 3 on 3 on the game we won in shootout. So you were actually 0-for-your-last-2. And we had a better chance to win in OT than they did.

And it usually ends with Buf on the ice. I don't think I am the only one that feels this way. It's not like I and the other people who feel this way are geniuses for usually being right. It's because Buf and 3v3 don't go well together. Now some people will say that 3v3 is a coin toss. But I am not in that camp. 3v3 player utilization and strategy matter imho. There is an element of randomness and 'luck' in any sport. But there are things you can do to put the odds of success more heavily in your favor. We aren't doing those things in 3v3 right now imho.

We had two wins and a 3v3 that we got more, better chances than the other team, over our last three games to go to extra time. What are you not seeing here?

Reactions: Jets 31

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
While I agree that this was one of the worst games I've seen Wheeler play, and also concerned about Laine's game lately, I thought the rest of the team played pretty well. The way I seen it, the game was a pretty tight forechecking type game. We started to take over in the second period and looked poised to take a bigger lead, when Wheeler really muffed up at the blue line and LV scored. That didn't seem to rattle us and we continued to press. But holy crap!! That power play was so pathetic. We looked disinterested, couldn't mount any kind of pressure. There's no doubt that the ensuing goal by LV should not have counted, but how the hell did we even allow that chance on our goal anyway?

That goal seemed to rattle us for the better part of the 3rd. But credit the Jets in tying it up, and we should have won it in overtime. Two times the puck was behind their goal tender. I don't get how anybody can say we didn't deserve to win. I think we absolutely should have won.

Reactions: jer760

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is fair.

He is still a truly remarkable goalscorer. He is still a very good hockey player.

With that being said, my expectations were very high after his first year, and to be frank he has looked worse this year than last. Development is not always linear, he will still get better, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with his season. I really hope he works on his footspeed in the offseason, he just does not move quick enough to make any plays along the boards. Every time the puck comes to him breaking out, if there is any sort of pressure, I expect him to turn it over.

I think he's a better player this season than last but I also think other teams are game planning far more effectively against him this season which imo makes him look worse. It' all part of the learning process that every young star has to go through. That said he does have a number of things that he can take away to work on this off-eason.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Does anyone have the stats on how many of our OT goals-against were with Buff on the ice?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Does anyone have the stats on how many of our OT goals-against were with Buff on the ice?

You can look it up yourself. What is the point exactly? Players who play in OT will be on the ice for goals both ways

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I also believe if they had disallowed the goal, there would have been zero controversy about it. There would be no outrage from the other side. The reason would be well understood.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yet he's 59th in the league in Points/60 - second only to Perreault on the Jets. So he's scoring like a 1st liner. But he's not a Top 6? Rubbish.

Is this the real him or is this just a outlier year. It will be interesting to see moving forward.

He's most certainly a very useful player but id like to see a duplicate performane before I move him above being an excellent third line player.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
ab2f1f00755480bcfce1bc4682ffd14bf1378268b7e5ed8f837ee4144237473c.jpg

NHL refs these days.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Is this the real him or is this just a outlier year. It will be interesting to see moving forward.

He's most certainly a very useful player but id like to see a duplicate performane before I move him above being an excellent third line player.
Well, whatever the case I wouldn't be making any definitive guarantees that he's not a Top 6 player at this point... ;)

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
You *were* usually right, for a stretch. He started the last 3 on 3 that we won in 3 on 3; he started 3 on 3 on the game we won in shootout. So you were actually 0-for-your-last-2. And we had a better chance to win in OT than they did.

Good sample size. Trust me, I want to be wrong every time I feel that way. I think I am not alone.

I want you to sleep well so just pretend that I don't pretty much know that we will lose the OT when Buf starts 3v3.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Morrissey didn't decide to hit the post, Buff decided to stay on for 3 minutes in OT.

You have your facts wrong. You must be confusing Buff with Trouba who actually did have a 3 minute shift in OT recently

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Good sample size. Trust me, I want to be wrong every time I feel that way. I think I am not alone.

I want you to sleep well so just pretend that I don't pretty much know that we will lose the OT when Buf starts 3v3.

Oh yes, the psychic that "doesn't use his powers to win money because it would be unethical" knows that we're going to lose every extra time game in 3v3 OT. Which, if you don't count the games where the exact opposite happens, is what happens.

You think a sample size of 8 is much better than a sample size of 3? When each sample has about 2-3 scoring chance events per side? And yet somehow the sample size of 1 is better than both? Like that dog just won't hunt, man.

So yeah don't worry, I sleep well already.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You have your facts wrong. You must be confusing Buff with Trouba who actually did have a 3 minute shift in OT recently

He played about 3 minutes over 2 shifts. His first shift was about 2 minutes long and his last shift about 1 minute, giving Myers and Morrissey 1 minute between them. He had chances to get off both times and chose not to. Did Trouba have chances to get off? I honestly don't recall.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

3v3 GF-GA

2017-18
Wheeler 0-1
Byfuglien 1-3
Little 1-2
Ehlers 1-2
Laine 0-3
Myers 0-2
Connor 0-1
Perreault 0-1

2016-17
Byfuglien 3-1
Wheeler 2-2
Scheifele 2-1
Laine 2-1
Little 1-0
Ehlers 1-1
Perreault 0-2
Trouba 0-2
Enstrom 1-1
Burmistrov 1-0
Armia 0-1

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He played about 3 minutes over 2 shifts. His first shift was about 2 minutes long and his last shift about 1 minute, giving Myers and Morrissey 1 minute between them. He had chances to get off both times and chose not to. Did Trouba have chances to get off? I honestly don't recall.

2 shifts

1:45
:54

Why exaggerate? This is very different than "choosing to stay on the ice for 3 minutes in OT"

Wasn't it Maurice or Huddy who sent him on the ice for his second shift. Do you expect him to say "no coach I think you should play someone else?"

C'mon man.

He got stuck on a long shift the first time. Some of that was on the other players failing to maintain puck possession.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
2 shifts

1:45
:54

Why exaggerate? This is very different than "choosing to stay on the ice for 3 minutes in OT"

Wasn't it Maurice or Huddy who sent him on the ice for his second shift. Do you expect him to say "no coach I think you should play someone else?"

C'mon man.

He got stuck on a long shift the first time. Some of that was in the other players failing to maintain puck possession.

Wasn't exaggerating, was estimating. I half heartedly looked for the information last night and wasn't able to find it. In any case though long OT shifts are a recurring theme with Buff that should be addressed. I know he wants to be "the guy" but he's hurting the team in my opinion.

EDIT and yes, I would hope that if he was too tired to go back out he would say it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad