Vegas Projected Rosters

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I didn't realize how bad of terms Mrazek was with the team. I'd like to think he still has value around the league. If he has attitude problems, I can understand anyone staying away. I can appreciate Howard being a good soldier through it all.

Coreau's stock couldn't be higher right now so if they were to lose Mrazek, at least they'd still have him.

I hope they don't lose any of the young defensemen or someone like Nosek. Nosek could easily play with the Wings next year in a bottom 6 role.

Helm, Glendening, Sheahan or any of the veteran defensemen can go and I won't shed a tear. If this team isn't going to be a playoff team a couple years, it's best to shed a veteran contract. Hard to say what Vegas wants to do with this initial group of players.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I don't get why you take Sproul, out of everyone available, but I hope Button's right.

Also, I thought Anaheim had something in place to keep Manson/Vatanen?
He's cheap. The Vegas GM seems to have a decent head on his shoulders so why would he want to take one of Detroit's bloated contracts?

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
Let's take a break from our usual stories. How about we draft our expansion rosters? If you were GM of the Knights, who would you select?

You can conveniently use TSNs simulator: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/draft-simulator

For reference, here's Craig Button's team.

How good do you think this team will do? Can you do better? I don't think it's a playoff team, but it's also not that awful. I think there's some great pieces to work with for the future.

Not many people are mocking Mrazek being picked, either. Is that a good thing? Heh. Will you take him from the available goaltenders? I'll have my roster up in a bit. :nod:

The CBJ traded a first round pick to protect Josh Anderson. So there goes that ideal

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
He's cheap. The Vegas GM seems to have a decent head on his shoulders so why would he want to take one of Detroit's bloated contracts?

He is, but so's XO. And given the expansion simulators, it's really difficult to come up with a contract situation that's even slightly expensive for LV next year, regardless of who they take. Not that they want to **** away money, but in this case I think you take the better player and ignore the contract.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Still think Nosek and Helm are a bigger priority to Vegas than Mrazek.

1. Helm
2. Nosek
3. Glendenning

Reason being is..theyre all centers who also could play the wing and different roles for the team.

Vegas down the middle could look like
1. Ship
2. Staal
3. Helm

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Most value in our exposed assets:

1. Mrazek
2. Helm
3. Ouellet
4. Sheahan
5. Ericsson
6. Kronwall
7. Glendening
8. Nosek
9. Coreau
10. Sproul

I was looking at our unprotected list and thinking the same way.

If Vegas goes on the principle of "best player available", who would you pick from the Red Wings?

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I was looking at our unprotected list and thinking the same way.

If Vegas goes on the principle of "best player available", who would you pick from the Red Wings?

Do you pick BPA or the player that suits teams needs first? Assume the pick 4 goalies...2 youngsters and then Fluery with either Raanta/Grubauer?

Would think a C would make more sense because teams that are deep on C and D are much better off...not to mention our D available kinda blow

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Do you pick BPA or the player that suits teams needs first? Assume the pick 4 goalies...2 youngsters and then Fluery with either Raanta/Grubauer?

Would think a C would make more sense because teams that are deep on C and D are much better off...not to mention our D available kinda blow

For fun's sake, let's say strict BPA.

Here's the list:

Louis-Marc Aubry (F)
Mitch Callahan (F)
Colin Campbell (F)
Martin Frk (F)
Luke Glendening (F)
Darren Helm (F)
Drew Miller (F)
Tomas Nosek (F)
Riley Sheahan (F)
Ben Street (F)
Eric Tangradi (F)
Adam Almquist (D)
Jonathan Ericsson (D)
Niklas Kronwall (D)
Brian Lashoff (D)
Dylan McIlrath (D)
Xavier Ouellet (D)
Ryan Sproul (D)
Jared Coreau (G)
Petr Mrazek (G)
Edward Pasquale (G)
Jake Paterson (G)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Why should Vegas be afraid of bad contracts? They don't have any of the legacy costs that the other teams are struggling with at the moment. More importantly, none of the expensive free agents are going to be lining up to sign with Vegas. Everyone they draft over he next four or five years is likely to still be on pretty cheap contracts. The younger players they take in the expansion draft won't be getting massive raises either over the next couple of years.

I just don't see the incentive for Vegas to try to save massive amounts of cap space. What they need to do is focus on putting a reasonable team on the ice and butts in seats.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Mrazek didn't even make top 5 http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/f...ights-could-draft-and-then-use-as-trade-bait/

Mrazek sunk his own value. Nobody wants the worse starting goalie of the 16/17 NHL season for $4 million per year. Hope Mrazek uses this as a wake up call and gets back to work. And works on that atrocious rebound control. As of now, Mrazek should be considered a $4 million per year reclamation project. Nobody is going to trade for that... or even pay for that without Detroit eating some of his salary.

At this point, Sheahan has more trade value than Mrazek... just for the simple fact he's cheaper and is a defensive big-bodied natural centerman.

This.

IMO, there's one other factor that seems to be ignored in a "flip Mrazek" scenario:

Next Spring, whatever team Mrazek is a member of faces having to present him with a $4.15M qualifying offer to retain him for his last summer of RFA eligibility.

Can't see any teams wanting to pay anything of value in a trade for Mrazek, knowing the gamble they'd be taking:

A. He has another downright awful season or maybe trends toward mediocre but certainly not what $4M should warrant. He won't be worth the $4.15M QO, which would allow him to become a UFA.

B. He plays well for 17-18. Receives the QO. However, does having one rebound season warrant locking him up long term and/or for big dollars? What if he doesn't want to play for that team? He'll be eligible for arbitration, so he could just settle for the awarded 1 year deal and hit the UFA market on 7/1/19. That team would then have to hope that he can put up another good year in order to peddle him as a rental.

In both scenarios, there will be more affordable, potentially more long term and less risky options available via trade or on the UFA market.

My guess would be that Sheahan or Ouellet get picked. There were all those reports around the deadline where 8-10 teams apparently contacted Holland about Sheahan. Maybe McPhee bites knowing he gets a big center who may still have some upside or could still be resigned as an affordable bottom 6 option, or a tradeable asset. Ouellet would be a cheap serviceable Dman from the get go that may still have upside.

I do think after the notable Calder Cup performance and having a tiny cap hit for next season, Nosek could also be high on their list.

Then again, we all need to remember that McPhee was the GM that traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat... So anything goes here....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why should Vegas be afraid of bad contracts? They don't have any of the legacy costs that the other teams are struggling with at the moment. More importantly, none of the expensive free agents are going to be lining up to sign with Vegas. Everyone they draft over he next four or five years is likely to still be on pretty cheap contracts. The younger players they take in the expansion draft won't be getting massive raises either over the next couple of years.

I just don't see the incentive for Vegas to try to save massive amounts of cap space. What they need to do is focus on putting a reasonable team on the ice and butts in seats.

No one is going to expose their star players, and they have to reach the cap floor, so therefore they are going to be taking several bloated contracts.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
No one is going to expose their star players, and they have to reach the cap floor, so therefore they are going to be taking several bloated contracts.

I don't think there's any issue with reaching the cap floor, so no incentive to take bad contracts. That said, there's no incentive for them to avoid a bad contract, if the player will provide value during the term. It's why Helm's contract sucks for the Wings, but probably isn't relevant to LV.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Neal, Bogosian, MAF, Enstrom, Bailey, Emelin, Methot... . Vegas can grab some pretty decent players for those deals and meet the floor pretty easily.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Neal, Bogosian, MAF, Enstrom, Bailey, Emelin, Methot... . Vegas can grab some pretty decent players for those deals and meet the floor pretty easily.

That would get them to about half of the $55 million cap floor, and there are going to be several scenarios where the best player exposed is a cheap guy and/or a guy on an ELC.

Also not really sure some of the guys you listed get taken.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

In that scenario, they have a better defense than the Red Wings right off the bat.... LMAO

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That would get them to about half of the $55 million cap floor, and there are going to be several scenarios where the best player exposed is a cheap guy and/or a guy on an ELC.

That's half way there in six guys. And those guys should definitely be the ones taken from their respective teams. They are either the best players, or the best trade chips.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's half way there in six guys. And those guys should definitely be the ones taken from their respective teams. They are either the best players, or the best trade chips.

I'd take Nelson over Bailey, pretty easily. Also I think Emelin is pretty trash.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

I have a hard time, in the ED alone, not hitting $55m with an even somewhat viable set of players for LV, let alone the $43m they actually need to spend in the draft itself. There's just no need for them to take crap contracts solely for the sake of spending.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
While i agree with you, That it would be bad to lose a guy making peanuts like Sproul. I disagree that he has much trade value. You would probably be luck to get a 6th rounder for him.

You misunderstood me. I don't think Sproul has trade value. What I'm saying is, the worst case scenario is losing ANY player who we could've likely moved for something of value (Sheahan, Mrazek) because its a lost asset. The second worst case scenario is losing someone on a contract who is making peanuts (Sproul, Nosek, et al) because they have almost no bearing on the salary cap or roster management.

I don't care about losing Sproul for his talent - he might get somewhere, he might not - but It'd be pretty frustrating to walk away from the Expansion Draft only shaving a sliver of $625k off our bloated payroll.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
They should take sheahan, for their sake

The more I think about it, the more I think this is who they take. Vegas' center options are **** and Sheahan could still figure out where he put his talent.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
For fun's sake, let's say strict BPA.

Here's the list:

Louis-Marc Aubry (F)
Mitch Callahan (F)
Colin Campbell (F)
Martin Frk (F)
Luke Glendening (F)
Darren Helm (F)
Drew Miller (F)
Tomas Nosek (F)
Riley Sheahan (F)
Ben Street (F)
Eric Tangradi (F)
Adam Almquist (D)
Jonathan Ericsson (D)
Niklas Kronwall (D)
Brian Lashoff (D)
Dylan McIlrath (D)
Xavier Ouellet (D)
Ryan Sproul (D)
Jared Coreau (G)
Petr Mrazek (G)
Edward Pasquale (G)
Jake Paterson (G)

Nosek.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Personally I think they will take either Helm or Sheahan.

Helm is probably the best available player for them to take isnt on a really bad contract that'll hamstring them. Sheahan if they want a younger cheaper player but slightly worse than Helm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad